Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member with a 68 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member with a 68 Mustang
    Posted: September-29-2018 at 4:10pm
Just picked up this 1968 Mustang yesterday. It was repowered with a 351R at some point in the 70s. Got new gelcoat three years back and appears to be in pretty solid shape, just needing some tinkering. It’s pretty quick with the 351.

Unfortunately our boating season in New England is coming to an end. I will winterize and shrink wrap the mustang soon. What would you all suggest for a punch list of Mustang-specific maintenance items? I already plan to properly winterize the motor and change the oil in the engine and trans.

The trailer is missing the forward stop - I don’t plan to tow it any distance until I figure out a replacement. Any suggestions? The V-frame design isn’t compatible with a modern winch tower.

This is replacing my 2001 13’ Whaler and will life on a lake in NH. My dad previously had a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter LXi, so I’m happy to be back in an inboard boat.

Foolishly I forgot to write down the hull number. Can an original build sheet be pulled for these boats?
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 4:17pm

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 4:39pm
Congratulations, She is a beauty.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 4:54pm
Welcome to CCfan and yes, congratulations on picking up that Mustang.

There really isn't a specific list for the Mustang. Treat it just lick you would with any other inboard of the era. I would suggest checking the engine/shaft/strut alignment as well as the condition of the stringers.

In the reference section there's a PCM engine manual that should be close to the 351 you have. The layup section may be beneficial to look at.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 6:00pm
In addition to your above plan, I would disconnect battery.

The rest of the stuff (like alignment, repacking gland, RWP impeller) can be done in the spring.

For bow stop, I would copy a CC trailer #2 design.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 6:11pm
There are 2 different stops on a #2 that I can think of my avatar has the upright ones. I have the measurements, I will find them and post later.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

Just picked up this 1968 Mustang yesterday. It was repowered with a 351R at some point in the 70s.

Nice looking boat but that engine is a mystery for sure, since Ford never made anything called a 351R.

You most likely have a 351W.

Maybe the R was somebody's way of trying to tell you it's it's reverse rotation.

Somebody is bound to come along and ask if it's reverse rotation and a bunch of other engine questions

Some engine pictures would be good

zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 9:36pm
Pretty sure 351R stands for RACE MOTOR.

Here’s the tag. It’s a 351W. I think the R means either reverse rotation, right hand rotation, or rebuilt. The supplier is out of business and I don’t have paperwork, so who knows.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 10:23pm
2nd pic seems to be a right hand prop. R does stand for Racing,everyone knows that

You can click on this pic to enlarge it=

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 2:04am
Nice looking boat. With that 351W in there I look forward to you winding it out with a GPS attached to see what top speed you can reach. After working out all the bugs of course.
It is so light I bet it will fly.
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 8:13am
That boat was parked on route 16 in ossippe nh at a boat shop they wanted 5000 dollars for it I checked it out
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

2nd pic seems to be a right hand prop.

You can click on this pic to enlarge it=

CR,
I just happened to notice that when Gary did his bow stop drawing, he ID'd the pipe as "1&5/8". What it really is scd. 40 1&1/4" pipe which does have a O.D. close to 1&5/8".of 1.660". Mentioning it so you don't go looking for 1&5/8"!! Gary's forte in life was chasing down problems with little wires and not pipe fitting!

Gary,
Yes, it looks like a RH prop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 9:19am
Originally posted by DasBoot67 DasBoot67 wrote:

I checked it out

Andrew,
And what did you find? Anything you can add?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Gary's forte in life was chasing down problems with little wires and not pipe fitting.

I'll say,never understood pipe sizing, Tubing size is a no brainier- 1,2,3 person tubes is an easy concept to comprehend.
Wire gauge size is easy- 26 is a money maker,22 was standard, 19 is a wrestling match
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 12:37pm
Andrew - yep, that’s the boat. Came through the boat museum auction last spring, my neighbor on the lake picked it up, did some work, and used it all summer. I just bought it from him. Prior to the auction is was with the original owners family.

Gary and Peter, thanks for the drawing and details. I’ve been planning to take a welding course, this may end up being my first project. Has anyone added a winch to this design?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 12:43pm
CR,
there are several threads on winches. You want to mount it high so it pulls the bow of the boat up when loading. The boat angle then will match the angle of the trailer closer when it's on the ramp. Then for trailering, use the original turnbuckle to the eye on the stem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 1:13pm
Did they use a turnbuckle back then? There is no evidence of one ever being on mine. The PO did mount a winch on the mount for the spare tire there in the center of the goal posts. I will get a picture later.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 1:19pm
I launch I my yard on a sandy beach. The sand gets deep once in the water, so I can either back the trailer in 3/4 of the way and use the trailer winch to haul the boat out a bit. Or, I can back the trailer in all the way and then use a tow truck winch to haul my stuck truck and boat out of the lake.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

Or, I can back the trailer in all the way .

Yes, without the winch, you do need to get the trailer in pretty deep.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 1:55pm
Did this the other day while pulling out my Whaler. Forgot to put the chains on the tractor, spun the wheels, buried up to the frame. Pushed the boat back off the trailer, detached the trailer, lifted each side of the tractor with a floor jack and stuck plywood under it. Then tried again with tire chains and plywood, no isssues. Wasn’t planning to spend 1.5hr pulling out a 13’ boat...

Definitely will use the truck with the Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2018 at 10:09pm
Here is the winch mount - just a C channel welded to what was the spare mount

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2018 at 1:20am
Thanks for the photos, looks perfect. Seems like a lot of these trailers are missing the front stop. Dunno why.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2018 at 10:09am
They were considered loading equiptment which was optional. If you look in the reference section here the 1975 brochure has trailer info.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 10:00pm
Can't seem to embed video here, so links are below. Got her in the lake for one last ride. Changed oil in the engine and trans - this swapped-in 351W takes nearly 8qt. Winterized the motor, yanked all the seats/accessories/battery, and dropped her off for shrink wrap.

Already ordered new step pads from Jetwinn on ebay and dropped the frames off today for re-chroming. Bought a salvage trailer winch post and will need to get that welded in place. Looking forward to snowmobiling this winter, but it's tough to put away the new boat already.

Motor running

Last ride of her 50th season
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2018 at 1:20pm
Took some frames out of a video with the motor running. Anyone know what marinizer converted this 351?

1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2018 at 6:51pm
Pretty much a guess based on your pictures and your previous posts, but I think you have a fairly rare engine from the "Mongrel Engine Company"

In other words you have a mixed breed there.

The front stuff like the brackets for the raw water pump and alternator look like Conqueror/Crusader or Commander parts. They may have come from the engine that was originally in the boat or may have just been scrounged from somewhere.

Both of those companies used exhaust manifolds with some funny plumbing and an equally funny thermostat housing.

It looks like someone put some Osco exhaust manifolds and an Osco or Indmar thermostat housing to give a simpler setup much like a PCM or Indmar setup that works well.

You can find most any part you need for the engine including cooling, fuel and ignition so if it runs good which it sounds like it does from previous posts just drive it enjoy it and smile

If you ever need distributor advance mechanism springs you'll have some trouble finding them whether you have a Prestolite of a Mallory. (Lots of trouble really) It's kinda hard to tell from the pictures which it is.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2019 at 4:39pm
Got the boat unwrapped and dropped back in the water this past weekend. It's not staying in the water for the season yet, but I needed the trailer empty so I could move my newly-purchased lift into the water. We then used a bunch of boat tubes to float the lift 300yd down the shoreline. Worked way better than I expected.

Got my repro step pads and re-chromed surrounds installed. Polished the windshield and got her running for the first couple lake laps of the season. I love this boat.

Next projects are to treat and install the teak swim platform I pulled off a '78 American Skier. Then hook up my tach and install the dash-mounted pod speedo I found on ebay.

Does anyone have a gas gauge solution for these boats? I'm currently using a stick with a line on it. Works OK. My glass port in the hull is clear and the bulb inside works, but I can't see anything on the tank that would allow for a fuel level check.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2019 at 5:19pm
Chris,
Great tubing pictures!

Have fun with that Mustang this summer. Do be careful as that 351 in the Mustang will make it scream!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2019 at 5:45pm
Sweet boat. You did good.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2019 at 5:49pm
Someone had asked about the 351 fitting under the stock doghouse. It does fit, but requires some internal modifications as shown below:

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic