Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sherwood pump help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2018 at 12:56pm
Well I finally got back to the RWP rebuild. I ordered a Major repair kit off e/Bay went at it. Things went well after cleanup and removal of old paint. HF press sure does come in handy for this type of stuff. Only problem I ran into was installing the Seat assembly (#13) onto the shaft. Tried lubricating the rubber part with soapy water 1/1 mixtures as recommended but the rubber kept pushing up out of the metal piece while sliding it on the shaft. Pushed on the shaft with the retaining washer on top and a good fitting pipe to press it down with. but could not get it down to the retaining ring slot without the rubber squeezing up and out.
I called the e-Bay seller and he sent me a new seal and some special lube he had just been working with to help with seal installs. No charge. Using this stuff and the new seal it went on like butter and had not issues. I also followed his recommendation and rounded over the bottom edge of the retaining ring slot to prevent the rubber from hanging up there.
Also I did have to press the pully back on, since I took it off prior to hearing other ideas for disassembly. But with a little heat on the pully from a propane torch and the press it went back on without too much effort. I would not want to try it without a good press though.

Thanks for all the ideas and tool suggestions for this project. Sure is great having all of this knowledge available from people who like doing these things and sharing.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2018 at 1:45pm
Glad it went well. Like everything once you do it it does not seem that hard. I guess it's the unknown. I do not know how you could do it without a press. Back in the 90's I needed the u joints in my Jeeps front axle,took it in and it was over 300. The next Jeep needed them so I knew the price was had sure to have gone up so I bought the Harbor Freight press. Have done 5 pumps and another Jeep front axle. It has more than paid for it's self.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2018 at 7:46pm
I’m just gonna head down the river to Gary’s when mine starts leaking. He’s got all the tools and experience!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic