Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sherwood pump help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sherwood pump help
    Posted: October-03-2018 at 8:23pm
Sad to say but the 1998 SN is put away for the season. Was 42 yesterday, 80 today and high of 40 tomorrow.
What a roller coaster. I could use some help with my RWP. I opened it up today to clean it up and repaint it, and have it ready for the new impeller in the spring. Bearings are noisy so I would like to replace them before the freeze up like my 84 2001 did on me 13 years ago.
Of course then I think it only cost me $150 bucks for a whole new pump. Not today
Anyway the first problem is the tag telling me the model of the pump is gone. Only the part left under the bolt is there. Can anyone tell me from the pictures what the model number of this pump is?

Second is while trying to disassemble the pump to get at the bearings and seals I have run into a roadblock. It looks like there is a metal cup that needs to come out but I do not know how it comes out. Also the spring with the rubber bellows will not come out either. ????

An illustrated parts breakdown of the pump would really help me but have not been able to find anything being as I don't know the pump model. I know the rebuild kits are available but again what kit number without a model number.
Thanks for any input I can get here.

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 8:57pm
It's a G21 here is a breakdown PDF

Just pry that cup out it's part of the seal seat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 9:14pm
Without the proper assy tool it is VERY easy to break the carbon seal. It has a carbon ring sealing against a ceramic ring. Be very careful
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 9:19pm
Gary,
thanks for that link. read the part for the G series and looks like I have to press the pulley off to get at the bearings. Just went out to the shop and confirmed that there is no set screw on the pulley. I will order the parts and get rolling on it when they show up. A picture is worth a 1000 words.
I love this forum. So many people that like to fix things. Thanks for the help.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 9:33pm
Your going to run into other road blocks as you go too. I made a crude jig to remove the bearings with my press. Removing and installing the shaft/pulley is the hardest part followed by removing the bearings from the housing only because the housing is dirty and rusty,they will reinstall by hand,shaft and pulley need to be pressed back thru the bearings

Do not put any force on this end it will break

This is what I made to push the shaft out and how it sits in the press.

I'll keep looking for pictures,photobucket is not cooperating.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 9:33pm
Do not remove the pulley, their book is also wrong - they tell you to install the seal then put the C clips on- but then the seal is in the way. Assemble the bottom just as you took it apart. Never touch the seal surfaces either your finger oils will ruin them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 9:41pm
Most of the ones I've worked on,the pulley is a "shrink" fit. Meaning they freeze the shaft and heat the pulley. Good luck removing it   I like the keyway and set screw approach but some backyard hack engineers decided they could save a few $$ by eliminating that operation. Engineers should have to work on some of these ingenious inventions they come up with. Good reference is the inverted oil filters.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 10:58pm
After I remove the shaft and the C clips holding the bearings in I take a socket and start pushing the bearings out straight toward the plate just to get them broken free and moving

Then transfer it over to the slotted plate to push them thru

bead blasted housing

Then assembly is the reverse
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 10:32am
Thanks for all the suggestions and pictures. I have a press so should not be a problem.
Gary, how do you get to the snap ring at the pulley end without removing the pulley. With the retaining rings on the shaft and the ones on both ends of the bearings the shaft wont come out of the bearings, will it????
Ill be out of town for 12 days so will have to wait until then to dig into it.
Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 10:47am
Martin,
I'd say pressing off the sheave would be best to access the snap ring on that end but, you may also be able to get to it with an offset snap ring pliers?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 11:32am
Once you do one you'll be amazed at how easy it is.

When you get the seal out you will be able to reach in and remove the snap ring that holds the shaft in

Ignoring that the seal is in place in this picture,you then just push on this end of the shaft. When you get even with the pump base with the press I used a 3/8 extension to push the shaft through the bearings until it's out.

You will end up with the pump housing in one hand,the shaft with the pulley still on in the other. Then you can remove the snap rings holding the bearings in place and press the bearings out. You can then replace the snap ring on the shaft also-

Can't find a picture yet but when you are reassembling and get to where the seal goes back in, I used a piece of plastic electrical pipe to use as a spacer to push the seal into place.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 11:35am
I cannot stress enough - Do not remove the pulley from the shaft,not needed,too hard to deal with,might break some thing.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 11:51am
Here's a recent thread with more pictures from Gary and lots of discussion about the pump

link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 12:11pm
As far as the installation tool you can cut a piece of sch 40 1 1/4 inch pvc tubing like Gary did or you can get a 1 inch pvc coupling at Pete's Depot

Either one works equally well

Here's a picture of my coupling for that purpose.

It's actually mentioned in the directions that come with some of the kits

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 12:40pm
Thanks Ken. I'm really surprised these questions don't come up more often. Sherwood recommends a major service like this every 4 years, 2 if severe service like high rpm. No one following maintenance schedules   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Sherwood recommends a major service like this every 4 years, 2 if severe service like high rpm. No one following maintenance schedules

The spare parts business is great for many companies and very profitable.. They charge upwards of 10 times or more say for bearings and seals compared to what you can get them for at a power transmission supply. It has kept many a company in the black during slow times.

"Maintenance schedule" What's that? I'm still running the original bearings and seals on the 54, 64 and 77!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

"Maintenance schedule" What's that? I'm still running the original bearings and seals on the 54, 64 and 77!!

Probably cause you don't run any of them? Seems that you're always at Homey D or on CCFan!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 2:48pm
Tim you know that one day of summer when the ice is finally out, August 13th only comes around once a year
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 3:00pm
The Fox River here by me is closed for high water. Again been a bad year for boating
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 8:26pm
Wow
Now I wish I had not popped the shaft out of the pulley last night. Came out without a problem on my press and no damage to the pulley. So I think with a little heat and cooling I'll be able to get it back in when I'm done.
But the other link with Gary's photos gives a much better picture for me to follow with the rest of the work. Since I'm going to be gone for 12 days maybe you guys will have it finished when I get back .
😂😂😂 I was amazed I did not find more posts on rebuilding a Sherwood pump, when I was doing searching yesterday. I just bought the boat this year with over 1170 hours on it, wondering if this is the original pump
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

Wow
Now I wish I had not popped the shaft out of the pulley last night. Came out without a problem on my press and no damage to the pulley. So I think with a little heat and cooling I'll be able to get it back in when I'm done.

Martin,
You did good. Don't worry about getting that sheave back on the shaft. Gary's just paranoid because he breaks things in the press!

I cannot stress enough - Do not remove the pulley from the shaft,not needed,too hard to deal with,might break some thing.....

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:29pm
I didn't do that. I suspect Dad used a 3 prong puller on it trying to remove the shaft many years ago. Pumps were cheap back then so he just replaced it. Saltwater seems to tear up these pumps,by the time you notice the seal leaking the bearings are goners.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:35pm
I had to make a new bearing housing for mine, same reason. Used aluminum on mine
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:36pm
Well like most things in life, there's usually more than one way to accomplish the job

Here's a link to a Sherwood maintenance and repair manual loaded with info

On page 29 you can find Sherwood's directions for disassembly and assembly of the pump

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

On page 29 you can find Sherwood's directions for disassembly and assembly of the pump

link

Ken,
Gary must not have seen those instructions since they do tell you to remove the sheave!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Well like most things in life, there's usually more than one way to accomplish the job

You are correct. I had one pulley that ran out so badly that I had to bore the hub completely out and weld in a new hub and bore it to fit the shaft and set screw it back on.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

E]
Ken,
Gary must not have seen those instructions since they do tell you to remove the sheave!

They also tell you to replace the impeller every year too,so who you going to believe.........
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 10:19pm
Come on Gary you know Pete replaces impellers at 18 years whether they need it or not.
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

Wow
I just bought the boat this year with over 1170 hours on it, wondering if this is the original pump

Any chance you bought it a couple weeks ago and it is teal and white with a tower?
I saw one like that your way just a little while back.
2005 Ski Nautique
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2018 at 12:43am
Nope . Burgandy and green and was able to ski for a couple months this summer with it PO did nothing himself and only owned it for 3 years.
I like to make things right so i don't worry about them.
I never blamed my old man for breaking somethig tho.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic