Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to make my '79 Commander sound like a '73??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to make my '79 Commander sound like a '73??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 4:27am
I can say firsthand that the smaller chamber heads will raise compression and flow better to give you 30-40 horsepower more.
At sea level it made my boat feel much more powerful .
I installed my new heads at 1,000 hours and it still sounded and ran like new when I sold it some years later with more than 1,500 hours.
My buddy liked to one foot at 45 mph, this boat at sea level did that without running wide open. He owned a new 2001 hull at the time that was BLACK. Only Black 2001 I ever saw.
He could not one foot in his boat it did not have enough Speed. This was 1983.
You will see a difference.
If you think it will be weak start looking for a 454 to swap in.
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 4:29pm
That's the push I needed....

Wasn't implying it will take the whole season, but it will be my first time pulling heads off of a motor, so it will take me quite a bit of time to research, get all the stuff I need, and get it done and back together.   Don't want to lose any of our 2.5 months of summer so I'm going to give myself the whole winter to do it.

Can't wait to get it out on the water next spring! We have 6" of snow on the ground already.....
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2018 at 11:59pm
Hey JoeinNY - Finally got a look at the prop and it is in fact an Acme 542. Good call, that might explain why the boat seems to be performing so well!

I'm going to mention this and have some questions on the other thread I started in General Discussion.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 12:12pm
From my previous boat, here is a pic of a completely bone-stock Commander 351.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

From my previous boat, here is a pic of a completely bone-stock Commander 351.

I guess the missing belt and water hoses must have been options
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 3:00pm
Good catch KENO. Yeah, I took that pic the day bought and hauled that boat back from a barn, where it had been sitting for a number of years.
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2019 at 2:48pm
Thanks for the stock photos ultra! - I hadn't been following this thread since I started the '79 build' thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic