Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this a Decent Audio Set Up?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this a Decent Audio Set Up?
    Posted: October-05-2018 at 11:22pm
I am looking at this package, and would like someone with experience to see if this is a nice set up for my 1999 SN:

Kenwood KMR D772BT
Kicker 42 PXA3004
(4) JL MX650 CCX-CG

I am not a tech guy but i want an above average system. Comments Requested!

Otto
Otto
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2018 at 1:19am
Starting at the top with the head unit:   Kenwood makes a decent product and the only 2 complaints I've heard more of than the average is with the motorized LCD screens on the DVD versions, which doesn't apply here, and the internal amplifiers of some units, which also doesn't apply here since you'd be running the power through your external amp.   This model does seem to have all the current goodies for today's tech - bluetooth, USB inputs, dual wireless connection, etc. so it seems a sound choice to me without breaking the bank.

Going down the list - Kicker makes great gear, IMO.   You can spend a lot more on an amp and also a lot less. Kicker is somewhere in the middle and again IMO has better sound reproduction and clarity that most in its class. But in short, try again. The problem with your selection is that it is an automotive amp - you'll need to find a comparable version in a marine rated unit if you want to stick with Kicker.   Some have used automotive electronics and had reasonable success but I wouldn't recommend it because the internals are not coated to repel moisture like the marine units. Nor are most built to withstand the jolting and such that you can encounter on the water. Corrosion will eventually set in and you'll be replacing the unit again, sometimes within a single season if it were to inadvertently be splashed with some water. Hmmm.... imagine that on a boat   LOL.   
Perhaps take a look at the Fusion MS-AM504 or the Rockford Fosgate TM400X4AD though they are full size amps not a micro like you chose before.

Finally, the JL Audio speakers well known and are certainly built well and sound great. My only comments are that JL while very good are also very pricey - they capitalize on their name more than others - and those particular models have a peak RMS rating of 60 watts and the amp you chose pumps out 50. Two things about this: First, you'll need to chose a different amp anyway which may excede the JL's rating so pay attention to that as you are choosing a replacement. Second, while the amps' rating is 50 watts peak RMS, that is not the peak amount of power that the amp is capable of putting out - it's only the peak amount it is capable of producing at a relatively low distortion level. Many have paired the two closely and over-taxed the speakers with high distortion listening levels, finding the speakers crackling and fuzzing out soon after.   It's better to have a 30-50 % margine of the speaker RMS range over the amps' max rated RMS output.   Again, the RMS rated output is always measured at a fairly low distortion level, say 0.1% or less for the better quality amps on the market. Most folks - especially on the lake with all the other ambient noise - wouldn't be able to discern perhaps up to a 10% distortion level - 100 times as much.   As such it would be very easy to surpass the capacity of speakers that were too closely matched to the amps output.

There's my thoughts.   Have fun with the install     
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2018 at 3:20am
None of the above. :)
Enjoy the company with you in the boat.
Enjoy that sweet sweet sound of a V8 engine running.
Enjoy running a couple few pounds lighter not hauling all that stuff on board that lessens the wake a little and consuming a little less gas.
Enjoy protecting your ears to lessen the chances of needing hearing assistance later.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2018 at 7:41am
Originally posted by 96SNEFI 96SNEFI wrote:

None of the above. :)
Enjoy the company with you in the boat.
Enjoy that sweet sweet sound of a V8 engine running.
Enjoy running a couple few pounds lighter not hauling all that stuff on board that lessens the wake a little and consuming a little less gas.
Enjoy protecting your ears to lessen the chances of needing hearing assistance later.

And having respect for others on the lake who may not appreciate what you are playing at 120db.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

I am looking at this package, and would like someone with experience to see if this is a nice set up for my 1999 SN:

Kenwood KMR D772BT
Kicker 42 PXA3004
(4) JL MX650 CCX-CG

I am not a tech guy but i want an above average system. Comments Requested!

Otto

You are always welcome here on this site, but you will find more info concerning audio over on www.planetnautique.com in the forums under audio and lighting. Most of the guys on this site just have the stock system or no system at all.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

And having respect for others on the lake who may not appreciate what you are playing at 120db.

That is of course the actual motivation of my post. I hate it enjoying being outside when you hear this pointlessly loud crap go by.

Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Most of the guys on this site just have the stock system or no system at all.
Donald

Among the first things I did when I got my 10 year old boat 12 years ago was to remove the audio gear and the shower. I've had boats all my life. I have never had the wish to have blaring loud music while in them. It always gets re-confirmed when these ridiculous boats go by.
The shower thing I just didn't want to have to think about for winterizing.

But of course at the end of the day we all enjoy our hard-earned toys the way we like.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 9:37pm

But of course at the end of the day we all enjoy our hard-earned toys the way we like.

Yes, exactly.   Key words are the way WE like.   

Though everyone has their opinions, likes and dislikes, I think it bears restating - as I've done in the past - each to their own.   There's no need making anyone feel as though they are somehow an idiot for choosing one thing over another. Besides, just because a guy chooses to have a nice sounding audio system does not automatically assume they like to blast it at all opportunities nor that by default they detest the sound of nature nor that they relish the opportunity to ruin other folks outings.

There are a few bad apples out there, but lets face it that can be said about practically any sport or hobby.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 2:35am
As we all know, sound travels very well over water. How you can hear a dog barking a mile away across the water.
Music's a funny thing though. It's completely personal. Enjoy it in your house. Enjoy it in your car. Opening a window in either situation...well.... Here is where the problem starts. It's no longer personal. I may very well enjoy or like what's playing out to the world. The thing is...at this moment in my own day, I don't wish to listen to it NOW. You're forcing me to NOW. Why should I have to suffer for your personal enjoyment of whatever you're listening to?
And then how it travels across the water.

Sure. Of course not everyone is going to pound it out. Of course it's just those very few yahoo's that will. But it sure makes for an unpleasant period of time while that yahoo is in my vicinity. I'm not doing anything that affects him. Why should he be able to affect me? How about some decency and respect?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 7:31am

As we all know, sound travels very well over water. How you can hear a dog barking a mile away across the water.
Music's a funny thing though. It's completely personal. Enjoy it in your house. Enjoy it in your car. Opening a window in either situation...well.... Here is where the problem starts. It's no longer personal. I may very well enjoy or like what's playing out to the world. The thing is...at this moment in my own day, I don't wish to listen to it NOW. You're forcing me to NOW. Why should I have to suffer for your personal enjoyment of whatever you're listening to?

Sure. Of course not everyone is going to pound it out. Of course it's just those very few yahoo's that will. But it sure makes for an unpleasant period of time while that yahoo is in my vicinity. I'm not doing anything that affects him. Why should he be able to affect me? How about some decency and respect?

Very well stated. Thank you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 10:14am

Wow, so much for answering this dudes post with an answer, instead of a "soapbox" reply. Sounds like your moms took away your Black Sabbath album away when you were kids and you're still pissed about it..
Boats are a leisure luxury that is meant to be enjoyed. More boats than not have stereo equipment in them.. How long does this "heart wrenching" noise last as it comes by you??? What all of 10 seconds..???
These battleship sized, G-boats are hitting the lakes in record numbers. All have bigger audio systems than the next. Best turn down your hearing aids or get some cotton balls.

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 10:39am
We are on a very small lake. If a stereo is cranked up, the whole lake can hear it. Its not a big problem, for the most part, those few with the big tower speakers will crank it up for a few seconds so that everyone knows they've got it, then they turn it down. But there are the few occasional knot-heads who like to keep it cranked up, leaving me to think "Oh, I'm sorry, you must have me confused with someone who is actually interested in or wants to hear your music"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 10:55am
LOL, In typical CCFan.com fashion we have completely hijacked the poor guys thread. The OP doesn't even have a tower and from his list of gear it looks like he's really just upgrading from the crappy stock stereo not creating an earth shattering surf boat sound system.

He got one answer to his seemingly innocent question and a nice lecture. Otto hasn't replied but I'm sure it's because he's pulling the shower out of his boat as we speak. What a joke.
hal2814 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hal2814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 12:56pm
I really like that Kenwood unit. I was looking at it but opted for a similar spec JVC I got a really good deal on. Not sure about the particular kicker amp and JL speakers. I inherited a Sony setup in my current boat that worked except for the head unit. I did have a kicker setup in my former Jeep that sounded really good.

As far as music on the lake, internal combustion engines are pretty loud, too. I imagine there are paddleborders, kayakers, and other lake goers who are just as annoyed by my engine noise as I am of people who blast music I don’t care for.
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 1:18pm
I can speak for the head unit. We have that one and love it! We also have the optional remote installed so that the driver can control the tunes. It sounds great!
92 Sport nautique
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 9:44pm
Well, whether Otto decides to jump in and continue or leave with a bad taste in his mouth (or EAR, I guess) at least the last 2 posts have continued with the just answering the original query - thank you.

And thanks to a couple of others for furthering my thoughts from above. Everyone wants everything just the way they like it, and that's fine. But forcing others to like what you like isn't so fine - this being [somewhat] the point of the first soap-box post. WELL, guess what ... forcing folks that like a little music while relaxing at the lake to instead be DEATHLY quiet because anything else would disturb poor ol' you is just as bad - they just can't see it from the other side of the fence.   Typical double standard scenario.
As I've said, and suggested before, opinions are one thing ... berating folks for their taste or choices is quite another.   

Can't we all just be friends??    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 2:42am
Mojo: "Best turn down your hearing aids or get some cotton balls."

Why should I? Why is it incumbent on me to have to adapt to somebody else being disrespectful? Everybody should be respectful of others all the time. Of course I know that's an unattainable utopia. I'm not completely naïve. But shouldn't it?

Hal2814: "I imagine there are paddleborders, kayakers, and other lake goers who are just as annoyed by my engine noise as I am of people who blast music I don’t care for."

Indeed. That's why I have a place on a lake that allows power boats. Those other non-motorized users of the lake have to know that too. If they want undisturbed quiet then they can go to a lake that doesn't allow power boats.

gt40KS: "berating folks for their taste or choices is quite another"

I initially went about "selling" the idea of no stereo in a kind of tongue-in-cheek, positive-spin fashion. Not berating. Then I replied trying to demonstrate how loud music affects others. I have no problem with the sounds of play or laughter etc during the day. Or the sounds of other leisure activities. Music is personal. Keep it personal.
outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 2:27pm
Wow. Still not ansewering the question. More noise here than all the stereos combined.

Otto- can you get to a place to listen to different speakers? Those JLs state 2 cu ft enclosure for max bass. I'm not sure how you plan to mount, but if they are in the side boards near the throttle control, you might have problems creating that enclosure. I'd call JL and clarify. You could also look from some infinite baffle (free air) style speakers, or at least ones that will operate in a smaller enclosure.
My brother picked up a pair of sonys at west marine. I was really impressed with the amount of bass they put out. I would look at efficiency and intended install design first. Then listen to them.
It really depends on how you plan on using your stereo.
Since you are quoting four 6" speakers and no sub. I bet you were thinking mild background when suiting up, and not expecting a ton more over the engine. If that is true, you might be able to run them all from the head unit. Even try just a pair and no amp. Certainly easier.
Many will mount the amp to the sub. That way you can remove all and still use the stereo. Sometimes this helps when you are trying to dry things out. A sub will free up your 6" speakers to be more efficient in the higher frequencis they are better at reproducing. This makes it easier for your head unit to handle the load .
Don't get too carried away with amp and speaker ratings. They are not standard. Most people will listen to thier stereo at home at 1 watt.
You might even be able to set a safe limit on the deck with the engine off. That way you know the range at which the deck and speakers start to clip, and can then stay below that safely -even with that engine blaring!!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 4:25pm

Mojo: "Best turn down your hearing aids or get some cotton balls."

Why should I? Why is it incumbent on me to have to adapt to somebody else being disrespectful? Everybody should be respectful of others all the time. Of course I know that's an unattainable utopia. I'm not completely naïve. But shouldn't it?

Hal2814: "I imagine there are paddleborders, kayakers, and other lake goers who are just as annoyed by my engine noise as I am of people who blast music I don’t care for."

Indeed. That's why I have a place on a lake that allows power boats. Those other non-motorized users of the lake have to know that too. If they want undisturbed quiet then they can go to a lake that doesn't allow power boats.

gt40KS: "berating folks for their taste or choices is quite another"

I initially went about "selling" the idea of no stereo in a kind of tongue-in-cheek, positive-spin fashion. Not berating. Then I replied trying to demonstrate how loud music affects others. I have no problem with the sounds of play or laughter etc during the day. Or the sounds of other leisure activities. Music is personal. Keep it personal.

Where do you live, I'm coming over...
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic