Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Monday Morning Quarterbacks

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Monday Morning Quarterbacks
    Posted: September-04-2006 at 4:26am
Apologies in advance to the group if I am being a PITA. Anyway -

I have a 78 Ski Tique with a 302 that I have only used 3 times. I ran it for about an hour today with these results:

Max temp: 160 (100 at idle)
Oil pressure at idle: 40
36 mph at 3000 rpm (not flat out)

Sound about right?

Second question - how do I determine the hp? It has what appears to be an original equipment 4 barrel carb, if that helps.

Just trying to learn, thanks.

ps: it has a 12x14 3-blade prop, ordered an Acme 540 today...
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 9:04am
160 for water temp is fine,
40 psi at idle is fine
36 @3000rpm is moving along pretty good.

the 302 w/4bb; carb is usually listed at 220 hp.

I have no idea aout the prop, will a 13" fit on that boat?
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:06pm
all numbers sound and good!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 9:58am
Everything sounds good to me and I second the 220 HP for the 302 w/4bb (curious, is it a PCM or Commander?)

Your top speed would probably be in the mid 40's
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 10:11am
Is it just me, or does the speed vs rpms seem to indicate a bit too much prop? How's your hole shot?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 10:22am
How did you verify your speed?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 10:31am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Is it just me, or does the speed vs rpms seem to indicate a bit too much prop? How's your hole shot?

I agree. That should be fixed with the new Acme though- performance should be much improved.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 11:48am
Now that you guys mention it, speed does seem a little off. I'd verify with a GPS.

As for the prop ... As you know the Ski Tique has a stock 12 inch. prop and the 540 is a 13 inch. The specs call for 1 inch of clearance (equal to shaft diameter). I put the 540 on my old Mustang (stock 12 inch prop) with about a 1/2 to 3/4 inches of clearance and it worked fine but you will need to watch for any hull burn directly above and behind the prop. You can ask ACME to trim the prop to allow for more clearance - might be worth it. See the side bar in my article on the 540.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 12:05pm
Keith,

What's hull burn?

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 7:31pm
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Keith - 1.)it is a PCM; 2.) should I send the 540 to Acme for a trim before I install? I'd rather not take the chance of dinging hull or prop.

David F - nothing to compare the hole shot to, first inboard, always had an I/O. It jumps out pretty quickly, though.

Hollywood - speed according to speedo, I realize it is probably inaccurate but I figure it must be close.

Thanks again!

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 11:36pm
Hull burn is when the force of the water coming off the proper is so great, that it wears away at the gelcote. This can happen if there isn't enough clearance for the prop.

69 Mustang, if you're in no hurry, I would contact ACME and see about having them trim the 540 to fit your boat. They will know what you're talking about. They will probably be able to custom fit the 540 to your boat (they don't make a stock 12 inch prop) and then sell it to you through a local (or national) retailer. Modifing the prop should cost you any more. If they ask, you could use Delta Propellar (sponsor of this site).

BTW - Had the '79 version of your engine (PCM 302) on my Mustang. Great engine. Easy to find parts.

Good luck!
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 4:35pm
Just to close (sort of) the loop on the 540 -

I spoke with Jim at Acme and while he would not say with 100% a$$urance that I would have no problem with a stock 540, he seemed pretty confidant I would be fine. Please do not misunderstand, I know exactly why he would not promise a trouble-free install, and he outlined a number of reasons that certainly make sense. He also told me if I had any trouble they would trim it for me, no problem.

It is nice to see people do business the way he does. It is even nicer to have all you guys as a resource. Thanks again.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic