Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brand new 454 idles high

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new 454 idles high
    Posted: October-09-2018 at 2:31am
Engine was built in Michigan, and just shipped to Colorado - carb jets are for the Denver altitude.
Today I got the boat in the water for her inaugural trip with the new engine, everything ran great!

But I have some questions about the way it's idling.

When it was cold, it was idling at 650-ish, and purring like a kitten.

I was driving around the lake, following all the engine break-in procedures, and I noticed that the engine idle speed after it had been driving around for a bit was around 1050-1150RPM.
It would drop to about 800-950 when I engaged fwd or reverse, but in neutral it was idling high at full temp.

Is that a symptom of something bigger, or just a simple carb adjustment?
'85 2001 454
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 9:18am
I think I'd figure something simple and check the timing and then adjust the idle speed and mixture after it's warmed up.

How's the pup. these days?
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I think I'd figure something simple and check the timing and then adjust the idle speed and mixture after it's warmed up.

How's the pup. these days?

Thanks!

Pup's are good. The one with the sliced up leg is all healed up, and no injuries since! I can't believe that son of a gun cost me that much money in less than 2 weeks.

Got the first part of break in done, that thing runs great! Very impressed with Loren at Michigan Motorz for taking care of everything, and fixing all of T****'s mistakes.

I see the "left hand lean". easily corrected with some weight distribution. Thanks for all your help during the fiasco
'85 2001 454
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 10:48pm
Ian

Glad to know that the normal rotation engine didn't make the boat roll over and violently flip you out of it.

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 12:57am
Glad to hear it's finally up and running.   Feels good to get it through the break-in though doesn't it?   Unfortunately for me the weather has turned, and I'm again on business out of town (south of you, in Cuchara).   Hopefully Denver will have good enough weather you'll be able to get her through the final break-in before you have to winterize
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 1:04am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Glad to hear it's finally up and running.   Feels good to get it through the break-in though doesn't it?   Unfortunately for me the weather has turned, and I'm again on business out of town (south of you, in Cuchara).   Hopefully Denver will have good enough weather you'll be able to get her through the final break-in before you have to winterize

The day I got her back, it was snowing..... so I bundled up and took her to the lake!

Forecast is snow or rain everyday this week, and *potentially* up to 6" Saturday night into sunday....   

So right now she's got a 1500w heater in her to prevent any raw water freezing (I do have closed loop cooling in the engine).

Next week it should clear up so I can finish break-in and get the oil changed, and then winterize her and dream about next season!

You're in Cuchara, CO? If you got time, come to Denver and have a beer!
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 1:08am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Ian

Glad to know that the normal rotation engine didn't make the boat roll over and violently flip you out of it.

Appreciate all your help!

I do see how she likes to turn right with ease, but left is more challenging... but nothing I can't overcome with some common sense driving.
Also, so far I have been alone in the boat, and not towing.. Once I have some people I'm sure it'll be easier to figure out my final weight distribution.
'85 2001 454
outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 1:27am
Ian,
You should be able to unscrew a few more plugs at the launch, raw water strainer, and drive home confident your raw water lines are empty. Other than the surge brakes, no reason to not play on. Don't rely on a heater. You need that electricity to wax skiis.
Okay, it is a little more complicated than this, but not by much. Your hoses should be new. Lower water pump and u-tube if it was a 351.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 11:18pm
Yeah, Cuchara/ La Veta as of this morning was forecasting perhaps around 11" for Sunday.   Don't get that level of snow in Kansas! Luckily the locals tell us it will all be gone by Monday anyway

I'd love to venture up that way and knock a few back ... not sure if our schedule will allow it though - got 7 more days to get 2 weeks of work done. Such is business these days. The way things sound, it's entirely possible we'll be back this direction in the near future so perhaps I'll check in then.   In the mean time, catch all the good days you can for the both of us   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2018 at 4:39am
It is great to have a closed system but make sure it was filled with anti freeze and not 100% water or it will still freeze.   Just making sure, it would be a crying shame to freeze your brand new engine.
Glad it is running, now you have to ski to really say it is ready to go.
Dry suit maybe?
If I know Denver it may be cold with 6" of snow this weekend and 65 and sunny on Wednesday.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2018 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by outerbanked outerbanked wrote:

Ian,
You should be able to unscrew a few more plugs at the launch, raw water strainer, and drive home confident your raw water lines are empty. Other than the surge brakes, no reason to not play on. Don't rely on a heater. You need that electricity to wax skiis.
Okay, it is a little more complicated than this, but not by much. Your hoses should be new. Lower water pump and u-tube if it was a 351.

I drained the lines from the strainer to the raw water pump, but I'm keeping the heater in there for now - a little added mental comfort for me.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2018 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

It is great to have a closed system but make sure it was filled with anti freeze and not 100% water or it will still freeze.   Just making sure, it would be a crying shame to freeze your brand new engine.
Glad it is running, now you have to ski to really say it is ready to go.
Dry suit maybe?
If I know Denver it may be cold with 6" of snow this weekend and 65 and sunny on Wednesday.

It's a 50/50 mix. I checked it and it's showing good to -32*F

Water was 58-60 last few days. That's just wetsuit weather. I'm hoping to ski by next week, gotta finish up the first few hours before I try to talk people into bundling up to come out in the cold
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2018 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Yeah, Cuchara/ La Veta as of this morning was forecasting perhaps around 11" for Sunday.   Don't get that level of snow in Kansas! Luckily the locals tell us it will all be gone by Monday anyway

I'd love to venture up that way and knock a few back ... not sure if our schedule will allow it though - got 7 more days to get 2 weeks of work done. Such is business these days. The way things sound, it's entirely possible we'll be back this direction in the near future so perhaps I'll check in then.   In the mean time, catch all the good days you can for the both of us   

Well if you get time, let me know!
Enjoy the snow! And I agree, it'll be gone in a day or 2
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 6:01pm
Well now that the engine is broken in enough to run mid range RPM for longer periods of time, the idle sits perfectly at 625 when warm.

So it fixed itself.
'85 2001 454
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 7:28pm
Attaboy Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic