NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 302 PCM Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2018 at 1:18pm
Here's a real picture

Like TRB and others have said in the past, it's darker than Grabber green which gets mentioned in numerous posts as being something close.

Paint has held up pretty well for 42 years and lots of hours of use.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2018 at 2:02pm
From our ‘72 Waukesha, which I think used the same colors as later PCM’s (through ‘78, anyways), save for the valve covers which later were dark blue instead of green.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2018 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here's a real picture

Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

Does anybody have a pic of the green manifolds ? Just curious .

If you were to check back later today, I bet you'll see some green manifolds

Ken.
Why didn't you post the picture 4 and a half hours ago?

IMG]uploads/253/pcm_green_exh_manifold.jpg[/IMG]
What else can I do wrong per Ken today?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Here's a real picture

Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

Does anybody have a pic of the green manifolds ? Just curious .

If you were to check back later today, I bet you'll see some green manifolds

Ken.
Why didn't you post the picture 4 and a half hours ago?

IMG]uploads/253/pcm_green_exh_manifold.jpg[/IMG]
What else can I do wrong per Ken today?

I had to come up with that card, write the note and uncover the boat

I guess your sense of humor is missing somewhat today..
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2018 at 2:46pm

Here's a real picture

I think this is a fake unless you include a picture of today’s newspaper in the foreground
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2018 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Here's a real picture

I think this is a fake unless you include a picture of today’s newspaper in the foreground

What......., you want me to spend some money on this?
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2018 at 9:38pm
Oh my word . That color green on an engine sure is one of those " what has been seen can not be unseen " situations .
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
89Nautique2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2018 at 1:23pm
Looks like John Deere Green
------- They are only original once! ------
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2018 at 3:49am
No, it’s significantly lighter/brighter than Deere.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2018 at 3:47pm
I pulled the engine and started taking it apart. I noticed that it has lighter blue paint under the dark typical 302 PCM color. Did they leave the automotive plant the lighter blue then get painted again by PCM?

You can see the lighter blue where the oil pan paint is starting to flake and on the back of the engine.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Mille1sj Mille1sj wrote:

Did they leave the automotive plant the lighter blue then get painted again by PCM?

Quite possibly, the current PCM engines come in painted from the factory - modified to marinize and then repainted (usually wires/electrical components and all ) at PCM. I suspect all marinizers have basically been the same process..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Did they leave the automotive plant the lighter blue then get painted again by PCM?

Quite possibly, the current PCM engines come in painted from the factory - modified to marinize and then repainted (usually wires/electrical components and all ) at PCM. I suspect all marinizers have basically been the same process..

Steve,
I really doubt that PCM (or any marinizer) would take the time and effort to strip the OEM paint before painting the engine their color.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2018 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by 89Nautique2001 89Nautique2001 wrote:

Looks like John Deere Green

Here's a picture of my manifold from 1976 and a piece of metal painted JD green that I took today while doing some paint touch up on a JD tractor

Hardly any difference at all especially when doing touch up on the manifold

Maybe TRB is talking about the 72 Waukesha color being a lot lighter or something?

Maybe there are different shades of JD green

Edit there is JD green (started in spring 1989) and JD Classic Green (before spring of 1989), what I used was Krylon 1932

Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 12:16pm
I know we have been talking paint quite a bit on here but I have a few more engine specific questions. As I started tearing into the engine, I found a few concerns, burnt valve, pitted lash cap and worn rockers.

I just dropped the engine off to a friend at his machine shop to take a look at the cylinder bores to see if they need to be opened up. We have been discussing roller cam vs flat tap. I would like to go to a roller if they are even available. So far my search has found nothing for a reverse rotation roller cam. Has anyone found one or are they just not out there.

After reading a few other threads, I am going to the GT40 heads.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 12:25pm

I know we have been talking paint quite a bit on here but I have a few more engine specific questions. As I started tearing into the engine, I found a few concerns, burnt valve, pitted lash cap and worn rockers.

I just dropped the engine off to a friend at his machine shop to take a look at the cylinder bores to see if they need to be opened up. We have been discussing roller cam vs flat tap. I would like to go to a roller if they are even available. So far my search has found nothing for a reverse rotation roller cam. Has anyone found one or are they just not out there.

After reading a few other threads, I am going to the GT40 heads.

RH roller cams do not exist in the wild - a lot of money might get you a custom one built. You would do better with gt40p heads than gt40 for less money.   There are some aluminum aftermarket heads that are pretty cheap now as well that seem to be ok.

If you need rockers some 1.7 roller rockers (pedestal mount) for those gt40ps seem to be a good upgrade for the wussy flat tappet rh cams that are available...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 2:28pm
The heads we are going to build are GT40P 4 bar heads.

It’s unfortunate that nobody has come out with a reverse rotation roller cam. I get it though, probably not a lot of demand for them.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 10:10am
I finally had time to get back into the engine repair, I have been trying to figure out what I want to do with the Camshaft. I found a company online (that is actually only a few miles from my house, I had no idea what they did). Its called LSM Engineering Systems, they make custom camshafts for pretty much everything, automotive, racing, agriculture, locomotives, etc. The owner gave me a tour of the facility, I have a lot of experience grinding gears and transmission/axle components and I was quite impressed with the facility.

I dropped my cam off to him yesterday, he is going to scan it and check it out on the CMM. He said he should be able to get back to me next week with a few options, Roller Cam, improved Flat Tappet, or making a new one identical to the original.

He also mentioned changing the firing order to match the 351 (same as the 302 HO engines). Has anyone changed their firing order on a 302?

I'll keep you updated, but if the price is right, I am going to upgrade to a roller.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 10:59am
You problem will be the reverse rotation. Others have thought of going the roller route but come to a screeching hault when they see the cash outlay. I have heard its in the thousands. As far as I know all new reverse 302 cams are 351 order,why produce 2 different ones when one better one is available. Cam Research is a trusted Ford cam supplier.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 11:16am
A good starting point would be asking what your current firing order is.

By 77 marine PCM 302's for the most part had the 351 firing order already. The low performance 165 HP version had the old 302 order and the 185 and 215 HP versions had the 351 firing order. The change in cars came later.

Since he's gonna scan it, if you were to post the specs here on CCF, it would help others and it would probably help him get business too especially if he can make a reasonably priced reverse rotation roller cam for you.

If you do have the low performance 302, you can read about a variety of reasons for the firing order swap on the internet. Some "reasons" make a lot more sense than others but Ford changed it, so why not go with the new firing order?

Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 11:23am
I will ask him for the specs when I hear from him next week. The tag on my engine says the firing order is 18456273.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 11:32am

I will ask him for the specs when I hear from him next week. The tag on my engine says the firing order is 18456273.

That means you already have the 351/late 302 firing order, no need or reason to change the firing order
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 12:02pm
Steve,
I'm getting a feeling he doesn't realize your cam is a RR. ??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 12:14pm
We discussed it a few times, That was partially why he wanted the original cam so that he could verify the gear direction and to scan the profiles. He said he has done reverse rotation before primarily for racing boats with dual engines that have one standard and one reverse rotation.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 10:04pm
LSM

Let us know the current details (availability/pricing/min buy/etc). Always good to stay current on these things.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 9:58am
It's been a while sine I updated this thread. I picked up the new Reverse Rotation Roller Cam from LSM Engineering this week. I can now continue with my rebuild, get the cam in and measure push rods.

I should get some good horsepower gains from the changes.

Roller cam ground for slightly better low end torque and wider power band, I dint go too aggressive on the grind.
Upgraded to GT40P Heads
Roller Lifters
Roller Rockers
Block was line bored and honed
Block bored .030 over
Hypereutectic Pistons
Original Dual Diaphragm mechanical fuel pump rebuilt by Then and Now
New water pump
Rebuilt Sherwood Water Pump
Still looking intake manifolds

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 4:27pm
Interesting development Steve. Ballpark price? Anything said about distributor gear needed?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 4:54pm
Cost was $550, I didn’t think it was too bad Considering the costs others said to expect. The original distributor gear should work fine for it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 6:38pm
I don't think that's bad either. I don't have it on me but I have a receipt for a flat tappet GT40 cam from Cam Research,I want to say around 300 not sure but I think it included lifters and broken in. I'm surprised about the gear- I thought you needed a different metallurgy with a roller cam ? Maybe because it's not a factory cam ? It will be interesting to see how it performs when your done,I'll bet you will get this guy alot of work
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 8:24pm
Gary, $247 for RR custom grind FLAT tappet from Comp Cams.   Cam only
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 11:29pm
Gary, I will research the distributor gear more. I need to confirm that before I do some damage. Thanks for the heads up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic