Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 302 PCM Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Get a few extras made while they’re tooled up... I can think of a few interested parties!

I asked for 12, I thought there may be some interest from others.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 10:18pm
Here are a few pictures of the engine progress, I have finally had some time to start putting it back together.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 11:07pm
Nice looking work, I like the toys in the background better!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Mille1sj Mille1sj wrote:

I want to have components powder coated. I would like to return it to the original color scheme, but I do not know exactly what that is. There are multiple shades of Ford blue currently, some place parts that I replaced.
Any help on correct colors or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

After all the blue and green discussion and a little bickering about green to go along with that, it looks like you must have changed your mind or that's really really odd Ford blue

I seem to like your color choice.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 9:11am
I poked the bear when I started the original color discussion. After some debate at home, we decided to go with something different. The gray and blue as the same shade as the stripes on the interior.

I am waiting for a valve cover spacer to show up so I can get the covers and the risers on. The roller rockers are a little too tall for the original valve covers. I was going to get new valve cover but I saw a Few threads on here about some of the tall covers interfering with the manifolds. Plus I had my covers powder coated to match the pulleys.

I didn’t keep it original, but I think it will look good.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 9:26am

I poked the bear when I started the original color discussion.
I didn’t keep it original, but I think it will look good.

Great looking engine!!!   Sometimes you just have to please yourself and not others. Even if it means that we won't take home the prize for Most Original.   Keep up the good work. Like the toy collection too!
Mine too is slightly "un-original"

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

... Sometimes you just have to please yourself and not others. Even if it means that we won't take home the prize for Most Original ...

My thoughts exactly

Great looking project Steve - you'll be on the water in no time
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2019 at 11:53pm
I finally received the reverse rotation composite distributor gear I need to run with this new roller cam. I hope to get it in the boat next week, I have the boat at a local shop getting a little gel coat work done where I removed the pitot and the old platform brackets.

My wife and I just had a baby last week, so my project/garage time has pretty much stopped.

The engine is back in and aligned, new shaft, coupler and acme 1210 prop added too. I thought I would provide an update, once I get the boat back, I just need a day or so to finalize a few things.

I’ll let you know how things go once I get the engine running.

chopperrescue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopperrescue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 5:56pm
https://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x278/chopperrescue/7B9991D7-3B12-407E-AEBD-D65EA22F747A_zpsiwrxxwnp.jpeg

Just purchased this 77 from a Neighbor of mine , boat has been sitting under shelter for last 7-years. Was hoping someone could help identify which engine I might have. Distributor is mounted about flush with intake .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopperrescue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 6:07pm
I’m also still trying to figure out how to post pictures from my phone , if this is the wrong sub please bare with me. Thanks
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 7:21pm
Very difficult to post from a phone on this site. Here below are the differences between a 302 and a 351 - just measure across the intake bolts . Approx 7 1/4 is a 302. 9 1/4 is a 351

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopperrescue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 8:29pm
Thanks Gary !
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 2:04pm
I got my Ski Tique in the water this weekend for a very quick ride from the launch to the boat hoist before I got rained on. I didn’t get a ton of time to really try it out and run through some rpm and speed ranges.

I can say the difference in power and hole shot is amazing.

I kept an eye on the temp and oil pressure on my short drive home. Oil pressure was great but the temp was running high. Prior to the rebuild the engine ran about 160-165 deg. It ran at about 190 at idle then dropped to 180 at about 2000 rpm. The temp gage is new, so I swapped the old one and still saw the same temp.

I rebuilt the raw water pump with a new kit. The circulating pump is new from SkiDim, all hoses are new, hose clamps are tight, transcooler is clean and free of debris, 143 deg t-stat installed, manifolds and risers are about 5 years old. I am getting good water flow out of the exhaust, but noticing steam too.   I was able to hold my hand on the heads and manifolds after I ran it for about 20 minutes yesterday.

I also added an acme 1210 prop, which apparently makes a disturbing noise upon decel.

Is it possible that this is my new operating temp? Does a tighter more powerful engine run hotter?

I initially ran the engine with a garden hose and a Timmy T. Temps were the same according to an IR thermometer.

Below are a few videos of it running on the hose.

https://youtu.be/mvobHRo0tBo
https://youtu.be/LYHwutSN1t8
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 2:32pm

I also added an acme 1210 prop, which apparently makes a disturbing noise upon decel.

Is it possible that this is my new operating temp? Does a tighter more powerful engine run hotter?

I initially ran the engine with a garden hose and a Timmy T. Temps were the same according to an IR thermometer.

Below are a few videos of it running on the hose.

https://youtu.be/mvobHRo0tBo
https://youtu.be/LYHwutSN1t8

The ACME noise only disturbs some people

If everything is good with the cooling system you shouldn't be running any higher in temperature than you did previously. The pump has plenty of extra capacity

I guess the IR thermometer aimed at the thermostat housing or right behind it at the temperature sensor confirmed the 190 and 180 numbers out on the water?

Do you have a good clean ground where the temperature sensor screws into the manifold? No sealer or teflon tape or anything like that.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 2:56pm
I felt better once I read on here that the ACME 1210 made that noise, it was quite different than what I am used to hearing.

I aimed the IR at the heads, Ill check again this evening at the temp sensor.

The ground should be good, no tape or putty on the threads. There was a plug in the hole when I painted the engine, so I know the threads are free of paint.

I may change the impeller again,, I primed the pump when I ran the engine on the hose, but thought maybe it got damaged while trying to get the engine to start for the first time.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2019 at 9:41pm
I took the thermostat out and tested it in a pot of water on the stove, it opened at 160 *. I picked up a 140* from a local NAPA store. Took some laps around the lake this afternoon and it stayed at 155-160*.

The new cam has a very nice smooth idle at 600 rpm. Much smoother than I remember the old one being and has a great exhaust sound.

Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2020 at 9:27pm
I just ordered myself the acme 1210. Don't have prop yet, looking forward to it's arrival and seeing the increased performance.

Wondering if you still have that prop noise on deceleration? Any thoughts after using it for a year?

Just trying to adjust my expectations.

Thanks!

Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2020 at 9:57pm
I still notice a little noise on a hard deceleration but I got used to it. I love the prop, the boat has a ton of power out of the hole and still maintains good top end speed. I did some additional work to the engine but I don’t think I would go back to the stock prop.

If I get bored this summer I may put the stock one back on just to see the difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic