Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 Burnt valve

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 Burnt valve
    Posted: October-22-2018 at 11:05pm
I pulled the engine from my 77 Ski Tique last week. We did a compression test and found that the #6 cylinder has 0 compression. We finally got into more and it looks like a burnt valve. I am going to replace the heads, is there a head of choice? Aluminum vs cast? Anything in particular you guys reccomend?

Now that I have it apart this far, I’ll check the notes to see how they look and and replace anything worn.

Any other must do items I should be looking at?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2018 at 10:17am
A good choice of heads would be GT40P if you want more power.

They were built for 302 engines.

Plenty of threads you can find here on CCF on 302 engine rebuilds/mods

Got any oil leaks like the rear main seal or the timing cover seal for the crankshaft?

You'll get arguments both ways on replacing them

One will be to replace them now and the other will be "If they ain't leaking don't touch them."

Whatever you decide to do will invariably turn out to be the wrong thing
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2018 at 10:27am
I read a few threads about the GT40P heads. Is it as simple as installing the GT40P brands or are other modifications them required?

I have been having a hard time finding marine specific heads for the 302, the only difference that I know of is the brass freeze plugs.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2018 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Mille1sj Mille1sj wrote:

I read a few threads about the GT40P heads. Is it as simple as installing the GT40P brands or are other modifications them required?

I have been having a hard time finding marine specific heads for the 302, the only difference that I know of is the brass freeze plugs.

Brass freeze plugs are the only difference these days.

No need to drill the head bolt holes like you do when putting them on a 351.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2018 at 12:00pm
Just a thought.................

You could send gt40 KS(Joe) a PM asking about his Gt40P heads he mentioned in a recent thread as being for sale.

They're brand new, the bolt holes are drilled for use on a 351, but that won't affect you at all.

He'll probably have a good price for you too.

Only downside is that they're painted a couple coats of bright, hideous red   but that's what spray paint is for

The heads in the link are what Joe has

link
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic