NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering issue...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering issue...
    Posted: October-26-2018 at 3:27pm
So I have a minor steering issue I am hoping someone can diagnose from experience etc. I have noticed this for years now but am not sure what is causing it.

At idle and at planing speed, my steering is smooth and steers effortless, when driving at speeds around 10-15 mph with a bit of load on the rudder, I feel a little resistance while turning to right or back to center after completing a starboard turn.. Other than one little spot, the steering remains easy and smooth.

Is this the tilt helm, the helm base, the cable, or rudder? It is so minor that I have just dealt with it.

I know I shouldn't rule out the cable as that is the most often part that needs replaced in probably 98% of steering issues in our boats, but I have driven at least 4-5 boats with bad cables in them and replaced three of those myself and this issue doesn't feel like those did. Those felt like their was resistance all the time..

Any thoughts? Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2018 at 4:11pm
Andrew,
If it's not the cable, then I'd check the condition of the tilt coupling halves and the center hub.

Here's the coupling center hub or "spider".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2018 at 5:36pm
Thanks Pete!

If it turns out to be the coupling? Where does one find that part? Do I need to buy the entire helm housing or at least the top half?

helm
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2018 at 5:42pm
Andrew,
If I remember correctly, the parts are NLA and if so you would need the complete assembly. There are several older threads on the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2018 at 7:59pm
Thanks for the drawing Pete. Was wondering what the inside of the tilt-helm looked like.

I have the same issue with our 99 except it’s when turning to the port side.   I replaced the steering cable this past summer as the boat was becoming difficult to steer.   The new cable fixed the hard steering but now I had a sticking problem when returning to straight along with a new click sound coming from the helm Assy.   I assumed a tooth on the pinion gear/shaft was worn because of the bad cable but didn’t see anything when replacing the steering cable.   

I checked out the Nautique Parts web site where I found a replacement shaft. I sent NP parts an email to verify I had the correct one.   Dave from NP responded very quickly and advised that “he wasn’t trying to sell me extra parts but thought the coupling in the tilt-helm assy. was likely the problem.” As there aren’t any parts available the entire assy. Has to be replaced. Their PN is SH91800P for the 99 and I think it’s good down to 93.

As I just pulled the boat last weekend haven’t had time to look into further. I am going to try and verify the problem before ordering parts though.

Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 1:00pm
Hey guys, I wanted to see if you got this corrected. I have a new to me 2006 206 which I believe the steering cable was replaced. Its super smooth, but like you said, when you go up to about 20-30, it get a click and and a little tension as like its missing a gear in the rack. But its not present at all at lower speeds or even at high speeds. Its very odd.   
84 SN, 92 SNOB, 2005 SANTE 2006 SN 206
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2019 at 12:42pm
Just replaced the helm tilt mechanism last night.   Definitely tightened up steering but won’t know if it fixed the sticking problem at 20-30 mph until get the boat in water. Probably won’t be for couple more weeks.   Supposed to get 1-2” snow tonight.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1968 - Mustang - Sold

tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2019 at 3:28pm
When you replaced it, did it look like it had an issue?   Seems odd the tilt would be the click issue, but maybe. Maybe when Im out next I will play with the tilt at high or low and see if it clicks.   Thanks so much for the reply!
84 SN, 92 SNOB, 2005 SANTE 2006 SN 206
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2019 at 3:42pm
I don’t believe the actual tilt mechanism has anything to do with the sticking issue. It’s the
two piece shaft coupling that’s inside the tilt assembly where the problem might be. It’s this coupling that allows the tilt mechasim to tilt up and down.   Sort of like a universal joint but doesn’t look like familiar universal joint.   

When I did get the old mechanism out, I noticed the screws holding the coupling together and to the shafts were fairly loose.   I wondered if this wasn’t the problem but since I had the old one out I went ahead and put the new one in. There are two hex head screws but not sure they can be accessed without taking the unit out. If you decide to work on this be careful. The steering wheel needs to be in the lowest postion to access the top mounting bolt. This puts tension on springs that hold the wheel in position. You don’t want them to release with your fingers in the way.

Replacing this was Nautique Parts recommendation as I was thinking possibly the steering
gear that drives the cable gear rack was worn.   In their exact words “we arent not trying to sell you more parts but you might want to check the tilt mechanism as this usually fails when the steering cable ties up.”
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1968 - Mustang - Sold

MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2019 at 11:54pm
Follow up.

Finally got boat in water.   Had a couple hours between rains with another 3 days worth of rain in forecast.   Anyway, pulled daughter skiing this evening and drives like a new boat after replacing tilt mechanism. No more clicking or sticking when turning although I’m not convinced it wasn’t just the loose coupling screws inside the tilt mechanism. Wasn’t going to take a chance of having to take apart again so put the new tilt mechanism in.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2019 at 12:47am
Glad you got it working. A great benefit of driving a S.N. is that steering and tracking are outstanding (when everything is working as it should).
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic