NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Near season ender yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Near season ender yesterday
    Posted: September-04-2006 at 5:35pm
Yesterday was a zero-wind day on the course. The lake was a mirror from about 7 AM to well past 10 AM, so we skied our brains out. At 32.xx mph I could feel myself starting to come forward through the wakes on my off side through the course but kept skiing and skiing. Sure enough, I had to have that one last run... Going from 1 to 2 on my off side I blew out the front so hard across the wake I couldn't believe it. I felt pain in my knee, face, and felt the ski hit my helmet (which I wear for ear protection) really hard. Turns out the face pain was just the water hitting it, but the knee is still bugging me. I can put weight on it but it hurts to bend it all the way. No major swelling but there is slight swelling. I can walk around OK, climb stairs, etc, just slowly and with some pain. I've never had a knee injury before so I'll take any advice you can give me on the knee... hopefully it's just a strain/sprain if that's even possible. I can't imagine what kind of gash I'd have in my head if I did not have the helmet on.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 6:25pm
After 7 knee surgeries, you'd think I could give you some advice, but no. I quit worrying about the knees a long time ago. I know when it hurts enough to go to the doctor.
Just get it checked out. Probably only a strain or hyperextension. But, if it's cartilege or ligaments, you need to get it checked out sooner than later. Even if there's nothing wrong, worth the piece of mind. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:10pm
BK...I'm at 6. both acl's (in the 80's) and 2 scopes on each. Way to top me!

m3, I don't think it would be a bad idea to wait a week to let swelling and pain go down. You'll have a better idea of exactly where the pain is from and how it feels when you move in certain ways or directions. Ice...30 on, 30 off for a couple days at least. Then, I agree with bkh, have it checked out at a sports med ortho. Call now to get the appt and plan to sit and wait a while.

Sorry about your injury.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:12pm
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:18pm
Nice fall. Little tough when the body is in front of the ski. I don't envy you guys with the ACLs. I broke the knee socket a couple of times (3 pins still in there) and of course the obligatory cartilege damage. Really only 2 of my knee surgeries were serious. I think you've got me beat. Now, if you want to talk backs . . . BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:35pm
Yikes, that sounds like quite a fall! I cant offer any advice, but hope its nothing serious. Hopefully you can come back and run that new rig into October!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 10:22pm
Wow you guys got me beat. 2 knees-acl's, in the 80's Dude and 1 on the back. But you guys have been rough on yourselves. I always had a physical job, climbing phone poles and crawling around in the underground. Lucky I never got banged up as much as you two, I would have had to find another line of work. I always told people that I never wanted a "real" job. I had to much fun on the job.

Dude: I could not get the movie to run. You guys always make me jealous with your computer skills. You are putting on movies and here I sit typing with 2 fingers.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 10:29pm
    Im right with ya John. 2 fingers and dont know squat about these programs. I like the idea of climbing the poles and splicing except I would always get the wires crossed!!!

Jeff....
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 12:07am
Hi Dude
I love that movie clip.
I thought you were going just scrap through that turn.

Rob
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 11:01am
Actually a buddy who knows a lot more about computers than me put the video up. I just linked it. Sorry it won't work for you John...not sure what advice to give.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 1:41pm
Ok, it's now Tuesday and the knee feels much better. Still tender, but improved. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 4:04pm
M3fan

One thing I notice about all my injuries is there are 2 common denominators- Gla$$ and last run of the day.

Gla$$ gets the adrenaline flowing and I usually ski over my head and Last run of the day means I should have stopped earlier because I'm getting tired. When I get hurt it's the end of the day every time.

I pulled a muscle in my forearm and bicep(actually don't know what I did but it hurt like hell) 3 weeks ago skiing gla$$ on an awesome slalom ski. I could barely lift a coffee cup for a week but I skied for the first time in 3 weeks yesterday and it felt pretty good. Hardest part of rehab is taking time off of our short summers.

Now take a break next weekend because we've got some skiing to do down in Shelyville in a few weeks.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 12:16am
Alan that's great advice. As I get older, I just realize a bit more easily that there will be another day. I used to just kill myself. This morning I only skied 4 pa$$es and was done for the day.

M3, glad it's feeling better, it should feel significantly better by the weekend.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic