Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor plate
    Posted: November-02-2018 at 12:13pm
I'm sure it's a long shot but I'm looking for a points mounting plate for a distributor. Chrysler 440.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 12:37pm
Shop around on some of the Mopar forums like Allpar and buy a complete used Dizzy. If you haven't found one by next August I can poke around at the big swap meet.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 12:56pm
Appreciate the advice. I need to do some more tests to confirm that patronix unit that's in there now is not working. From what I gather I can get a new unit for about a hundred. I'm just trying to get the motor running before I put any serious money into it. Which if that's the case I'd like to just get a whole new distributor when I really tear into the project. Than go to electronic ignition
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

I'm sure it's a long shot but I'm looking for a points mounting plate for a distributor. Chrysler 440.

What brand of distributor are you dealing with? It's probably a Prestolite with a clipdown cap that uses the same cap and internal parts as the Prestolite marine distributors that came on bunch of Ford and Chevy marine engines.

If you post a picture of the distributor with the cap and rotor off, looking straight down at the electronic module and mounting plate that would be a big help.

A picture of the ID tag on the distributor would be good too.

I just might know somebody with one of those mounting plates
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 12:20am

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 12:23am

Yes it has the clips to hold down the cap
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 7:55am
Ok Joel, what are you working on? Fill us in!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 9:48am
I'm not sure Chrysler ever used a non Chrysler distributor in their marine engines.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

Yes it has the clips to hold down the cap

That's a Prestolite built distributor (the ID that starts with IBM and the next hard to read digits look to be 4108 tells you that)

Chrysler just slapped their own part number on it too.

There are some differences from other Prestolites, like the way the holddown clips mount to the housing, but there are a lot of parts they have in common.

If you measure the ID of the housing or the OD of the mounting plate for the electronic conversion , the plate should be a little under 3 1/8 inches and the ID of the housing just slightly bigger.

The points, condenser, rotor and cap all interchange too.

I checked and "that guy" has some parts he could send you if you were to send me a PM with your address
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The cold must be affecting the memory
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 10:29am
Strictly a guess Pete, but I think he's working on what's in the link   

Funny selection of tools in the pictures in the link though.

link

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 10:37am
Nice, I really haven't touched the Chrysler marine Dizzy much at all. So, they would take the same points as the Ford Prestolite?

My dad's buddy has one in a 72 Century Arabian 440. It had some wonky points in it I had to bend to make work. Dave searched around and found a few NOS OEM points kits for Chrysler marine. Probably much better quality than replacements but it would be nice to be able to snatch up some extra sets if they are the same.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The cold must be affecting the memory

What do you expect from the "old Dog" as Ken calls me. That was 10 months ago!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 10:56am
Yep that’s the project. I refuse to give up on it. Winter is going to be really slow for me and I am a busy body, so looking forward to get into it more here shortly. Poked around for an hr here and there in the last month with it. I want to get it running, even if it is for 30 seconds before I pull the motor , build a cradle and move into the garage.
Ken, yeah it was full of all kinds of crap that would make someone think otherwise. I’ll send you a pm.
Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 12:15pm
Same points, rotor, condenser and cap as the Prestolite clipdown cap distributor for PCM Ford engines

Here are a couple of links to pages from a Sierra marine (same as NAPA) catalog just to have it in print. It's a lot easier to find a Sierra catalog on line than a NAPA catalog.

My local NAPA store tells me to bring them a Sierra part number when I want something from them

You need to look at the row for 1975-86 PCM 351,460in the PCM chart and the row for an IBM 4108 in the Chrysler chart to compare numbers

points 18-5303
rotor    18-5407
cap      18-5369
condenser 18-5345 (strap type) or 18-5347 (wire lead type). They interchange with each other. To me the wire lead one is a whole lot easier to use.

Chrysler link

Pleasurecraft link

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 1:43pm
Jesus Ken. You just did all the leg work for me
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 2:02pm
Good stuff. The wire lead is way way better. Screw that strap style condenser.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 2:23pm
I wouldn't but a ton of those points without making sure they work first. I can get them installed in my distributor mostly kinda with a drill and stuff but couldn't get them adjusted without the bending. Pretty sure its the same number i was using at napa a few years ago - but starting two years back they started not fitting. Tried online as above and now I have many more that don't fit right.   Had to go with the cheasy conversion this summer.   Might just be a problem with a specific supplier?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 5:51pm
Hi Joel

Here's a picture of what should show up in a USPS envelope on Thursday

Used points, condenser and plate that all worked.

I didn't have the wire from the points connection to the coil negative.

The Pertronix conversion may have had the resistor removed

It'll work for a while without a ballast resistor to see if the engine runs, but if you're gonna stay with points, an Echlin ICR-23 is a good one from NAPA. if you don't have something already.

I don't seem to recall mentioning a price and shipping was dirt cheap, so for payment just keep the Wildcat thread up to date so Pete will be happy

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 6:53pm
My hats off to you, thank you very much
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2018 at 7:59pm
Kind of what is so nice about this site -
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2018 at 12:44am
Agreed. That is awesome!
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2018 at 10:34am
I'm sure it's a long shot but I'm looking for a 1997 Masters Edition Nautique.

(Hey, it was worth a shot)
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2018 at 10:04pm
I'm pretty sure that Mopar used a Prestolite distributor. You might be able to find one through automotive parts. The Ford/PCM marine engines used it also in the earlier years. The breaker plates just might be the same.
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic