NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Successful GT-40 ECM replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Successful GT-40 ECM replacement
    Posted: November-04-2018 at 1:36pm
Last summer we heard of the outstanding break-through the folks over on PN had with the ECM replacements. Reading the required parts and processes I bought one of the 2 donor computers they say will work from ebay but was too slammed with work at the time to pursue the matter further. Well last month I finally ordered the necessary chip and programming equipment and was put in touch with one of the gentlemen, Tom, from PN that had the new updated 300M tune (thank you Gary) who sent me the file.     

Obviously the word is out and there are certain folks in the auto reclamation industry that seem to have taken advantage of this. As such the ebay prices appeared to double or triple overnight on the more common of the two. Once again, too busy to continue, I thought it may be prudent to confirm that BOTH computers would in fact work with the tune so I again went to ebay and found the other model.

This past week I was able to program the chip and install it in one of the donor computers and just this morning tested both computers with the chip and confirmed that indeed both computers work flawlessly!   So, for anyone that is thinking of creating a back-up or replacing a failing computer the options aren't quite as limited as they seemed to be previously.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2018 at 3:02pm
Good job Joe

You not only paint funny color combos but you can program an ECM too   

Maybe you should post the equipment needed and the cost of the stuff for the next guy who wants to do the same thing.

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2018 at 7:45pm
Ha ha - Again with the engine colors ! You and Pete aren't going to give that up are you?   I'm beginning to know how JQ feels    But, good point.

The 2 models of computers to look for are the C1A1 and D1L1 - both from 90's fox body efi mustangs. These computers are set up for the 4 cylinder engines (and 6 as well, I think) but have all the correct internals and tune strategy so when used with the added chip and proper tune they are a good replacement.
I picked up the F3 chip and related programming hardware at moates.net though I understand the chips are available from other sources as well.. Costs as follows:

Donor computers, C1A1 or D1L1 -- range from $50-130 depending on what's out there at that time.
F3v2 chip/ adapter -- $75
FA chip adapter -- $15   Necessary for connecting chip to programmer
Programmers:
J3 (jaybird) program card -- $75    This one will only program the F3 adapter chip
Burn2 program card -- $85   This one will program the adapters, but will also read the existing program from your original computer either on or off of the boat. It does require the addition of the FE reading interface for an additional $15, but only if you are reading an existing tune. If you'll only be programming and using a supplied .bin file tune the interface isn't required.   The Burn2 is what I used.
Software for your laptop -- Free download via a link under the "additional links" tab HERE
Total cost for me was about $250 with all the optional items.

CAUTION though ...   Read all the directions thoroughly and do a little of your own research to understand the overall process because it is possible to ruin a chip or computer or both if if they aren't followed correctly.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2018 at 8:48pm
ESD can fry the chips if you handle them incorrectly.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Ha ha - Again with the engine colors ! You and Pete aren't going to give that up are you?   I'm beginning to know how JQ feels    But, good point.

The 2 models of computers to look for are the C1A1 and D1L1 - both from 90's fox body efi mustangs. These computers are set up for the 4 cylinder engines (and 6 as well, I think) but have all the correct internals and tune strategy so when used with the added chip and proper tune they are a good replacement.
I picked up the F3 chip and related programming hardware at moates.net though I understand the chips are available from other sources as well.. Costs as follows:

Donor computers, C1A1 or D1L1 -- range from $50-130 depending on what's out there at that time.
F3v2 chip/ adapter -- $75
FA chip adapter -- $15   Necessary for connecting chip to programmer
Programmers:
J3 (jaybird) program card -- $75    This one will only program the F3 adapter chip
Burn2 program card -- $85   This one will program the adapters, but will also read the existing program from your original computer either on or off of the boat. It does require the addition of the FE reading interface for an additional $15, but only if you are reading an existing tune. If you'll only be programming and using a supplied .bin file tune the interface isn't required.   The Burn2 is what I used.
Software for your laptop -- Free download via a link under the "additional links" tab HERE
Total cost for me was about $250 with all the optional items.

CAUTION though ...   Read all the directions thoroughly and do a little of your own research to understand the overall process because it is possible to ruin a chip or computer or both if if they aren't followed correctly.

Now that's an excellent post Joe.

Since most people on this site are DIY types, It tells me you can spend 250 bucks and have a good ECM and have all the equipment to program another one or more in the future

Or..................you can spend 650 ish for one from somebody else and not have any of the equipment for programming one.

I know what I'd do.

I'd call this one of the best posts/threads I can think of for GT40 owners in conjunction with the PN thread thanks to you and the guys who initially made this work.

By the way, I won't pick on your color selection any more...................or any less   

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2018 at 9:11pm
Way to go Joe! Any difficulties when you burn a chip or is it pretty straight forward? I remember Tom having problems reading his tune but it seems that burning a chip is much easier.
Back in the day because of my Correct Craft Mustang I just had to get a Ford Mustang. Had a 91 5.0 notchback lx. One of the first of the best cars I have had,sold it 6 years later for 4 k less than I'd paid for it. The computer you need is from the 91-93 4 cylinder cars- by that time only the 4 and the 8 were offered. The 8 is a sequential EFI so those computers won't work- which is good because they cost way more.

I just bought a 300m computer,it was still attached to this-

Now to find an Atom to put it in.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2018 at 10:52pm
Fairly straight forward Gary, no problems. The instructions for using the software are a little vague and could be confusing to someone that's a bit challenged in that area but all in all easy enough to follow.
I couldn't remember engine options for the early 90's Mustangs but it seemed like there was a 6 cyl. option back then at some point - good to know about the 8 tho. But as long as someone gets one of the the two I mentioned, all will be good. I would suggest cracking the case on the donor to inspect the circuit board before installing the chip and testing it on a prospective boat - make sure there's no corrosion or damage. This also makes it much easier to clean the coating off of the contacts for the F3 adapter as sometimes the coating is kind of tough to get off.

So, are you really going to put that in an Atom?

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic