NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 10>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Pete, is there a down side to leaving it 1-3/4?

No, there isn't as long as the extra thickness is to towards the hull sides leaving the same distance between the mains for the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2018 at 9:15am
Thanks Pete you have been very helpful.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2018 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I think its the Flowery Branch location . They have never been very helpful . They are more concerned with closing aisles and stocking the shelves than customer service. They once told me to leave a closed aisle and wait for them to stock the shelve . I went to lowes.

Mike,
Again sorry to hear about your experiences you mentioned.

The SOP for blocking isles during store open hours is only to retrieve or down stock items that a customer is waiting for. There are times when say a contractor calls in an order say for drywall or lumber and he's on his way to pick it up that we will close down isles. Safety is a major concern at the HD and strictly enforced especially after Menards killed a customer. He was in a isle behind where a fork lift was operating and the fork lift pushed a pallet of tile down the opposite isle. It's the reason we have to block the two isles. The one where stocking is done with lift equipment and the isle behind.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2018 at 2:02pm
read the whole thread hoping for some great stringer pictures.............
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2018 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

And now you know a lot about veterans discounts among other things
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 10:33am
Well I finally tracked down a lumber yard that can order Doug fur they stock southern yellow pine . They couldn't give prices on the DF until Monday but they warned it wont be cheap. I am going to go there Monday and look at the pine . They said it is grade A so if it doesn't have any large knots I may go with it. Realistically if the boat only lasts 20 years and not 50 I think that will be fine. I am working on getting pics from my phone to the forum I intend to fully document the build for all to see and advise on procedure.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 10:43am
Sounds like you've been a busy boy Mikey.... When time allows Heather and I will have to make a trip up there and see whatcha got. I know a guy so I might even be able to bring a stringer rebuild care package with me.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 12:08pm
Not much to look at now just cleaned and dry. I have to set the 351 in it and see if any mods have to be done to the existing stringer set up to accept the 351 . Should be fine small block ford to small block ford. From there it will move into the basement where its climate controlled . That work thing keeps getting in the way I worked my A$$ off in November so I am hoping to take some serious time off now till next year.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 12:10pm
I heard the Atlanta boat show is going to be much smaller and in building A because of the Superbowl . Sounds like a good year to take off.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 9:15pm
Made some headway today . Set new 351 in the boat to check alignment so I can see if the original stringer design will work with the new engine and mounts without modification. . The good news is the distance between the stringers is the same on both boats and as far as I can see it should line up with the prop shaft. Only question is there a set distance between the strut and the prop I used the rub marks on the shaft to get me close. I don't have a pattern to copy since the engines are different and there are multiple holes in the stringers from the old engine. Not important now but will be needed after new stringers are installed and engine is installed. More good news I think I solved the picture posting problem.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

is there a set distance between the strut and the prop I used the rub marks on the shaft to get me close.

Mike,
The "rule of thumb" has been one shaft diameter but some like less. The less distance means less overhung load and that means less load on the shaft One thing to watch out for is prop clearance to the hull. As the prop is moved forward, the clearance is reduced.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 9:38pm
Got It I will check tomorrow.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 9:49pm
Another question The original engine came with exhaust manifolds with a 2.5'' exhaust opening . The 351 has 3'' . I don't know if I should go with the original and chance restricted exhaust or go with the 3'' and boar out the hull openings.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 9:53pm
Mike,
Since you're dropping the 351 in the hull, I'd go with the 3". Enlarging the holes in the transom and finding new 3" tips should be pretty easy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2018 at 6:10pm
Well my Doug fur source fell through they said even if they could get it it would be very costly. So I went with Southern Yellow Pine . I picked the boards with hardly any knots and straight grain. Probably wont last forever but neither will I.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2018 at 6:25pm
I decided to put the floor, rear seat and engine cover back on while I had the engine somewhat set in place. Everything went well until I put the engine cover back on . It hits the vent on the valve cover and both exhaust manifold risers. So do I stick with the 86 manifolds with 3'' exhaust ? That will require big modifications to both the hull and engine cover. Or put the 68 exhaust manifolds on with 2.5'' exhaust no modifications needed to engine cover or hull. has anybody ran a 351 with 289 manifolds?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2018 at 6:29pm
I am missing the section of floor behind the engine cover . Does anyone have any pics of what is supposed to be there and maybe some measurements.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2018 at 7:06pm
Mike,
The SYP should be fine. Just make sure you do a good CPES job on it and maybe an extra layer of glass on the sides. That will compensate for the strength of the SYP VS: the DF.

Do you have a moisture meter? I suggest seeing what the moisture content of the SYP is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2018 at 8:34pm
Measurements? You don't need no stinking measurements. Just make it fit the hole you now have If you really need them I can get them,here are the pictures-

This is an underside picture of that panel with the old plywood removed. It is used to provide support since that panel is removable and has no foam under it. I replaced it with two 1/4" 5ply underlayment    CPES'd and bonded to the bottom of the panel. If you look close you can see the lip around the front edge and part way down the side. This makes it looked more finished when its installed. The part of the panel that does not have the lip is under the seat so it's not seen.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2018 at 10:06pm
Thanks Gary I just needed to know how long it is. So the foam is supposed to hold up fiberglass floor. I think I will add some cross bracing . The stringer material is inside the heated basement shop it will be quite some time until they are ready to be coated with CPES.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2018 at 12:52am
What they originally did Mike was to foam the boat then they laid a layer of glass over the top of everything which sealed it all up. Then that fiberglass pan goes in on top of all that. Here is a picture of my floor you can see where I took out all the foam when I got it in '89. I cut out that top layer of fiberglass but did not cut it flush to the stringers and cross members. There is only one place up in the seating area where there is anywhere close to a foot of unsupported floor. So to protect the fiberglass pan from damage I used that 5 ply underlayment soaked in cpes then epoxy and cloth covered. Supports the floor very well. In the area where the seat tracks screw down, I cut extra pieces of the 5 ply and buttered them underneath to really give the screws something to really hold to.

One area that causes trouble though is where this arrow is pointing. When Correct Craft laid the glass over the foam they gelled it in this area so it blended in with the floor pan. You pull out the foam like I did or replace the stringers like you, this spot will be open. The support floor I put in you can see where I colored the spot that is exposed in that picture above. You will have to figure out how you'll work around this.

This is the final result-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2018 at 9:30am
Thanks Gary and I thought The Supra Stringer job was a PITA. I will work something out . Its good to know what they had in mine . The previous owner did all the demolition so I never saw it before. There is no way this boat will ever be as clean as yours.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2018 at 11:01am
The real start is near. I pulled the engine and floor back out. Now that I know how things will fit. I think I will go with the original exhaust manifolds with the 2.5 exhaust I hope it wont restrict the flow too much . But a whole lot of modification wont be necessary and I can use the original engine cover. I pulled the boat out of the barn and into the basement or should I call it dry dock. This is where it will stay until its ready for the engine to be installed again.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2018 at 11:02am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2019 at 7:34pm
I promised myself I would not start the 68 until the 08 was cleaned,polished and waxed . After a pinched nerved set me back for a week I felt good enough to work again. 08 is done and put away in the barn To start the new year off right I started the 68. First I spent a couple hours measuring motor mount holes, bulk heads , rudder mount and anything else I found . I marked the specks on a piece of plywood so it doesn't get lost.I then started removing the starboard secondary stringer. It came out surprising easy and intact.Next the primary. She gave me a fight but I also got it out in one piece. Now I have patterns for the new stringers. When I did the 84 Supra there was not much left of the old stringers so everything had to be scribed and planed to fit.

New home until stringers are done

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2019 at 1:55pm
More progress all four stringers are out most of the work is done on the new stringers. Not much to work with on the starboard side good thing the port side is a mirrored image of the starboard side. I put two scupper holes in the mains and cut a 45 at the back for water drainage. Waiting for CPES and epoxy to coat and bed them in. I will work on bulkheads next I am thinking about every 16'' with scuppers at the bottom to let water through. Atlanta Boat show Thursday.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 10:24am
Mike - progress looks great!

I have one of these floor panels if you need it. There's a chance I could get it on one of our trucks and arrange a drop off on his way through Atlanta. He won't be able to stop long but if someone could meet him close to the interstate we could make it happen.

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 6:28pm
Thats the part I am missing. I was going to put in a wood floor and carpet because I never thought I could get that part. Let me know what I need to do to meet. Mike Hunter 678-227-8833
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 8:45pm
I got all 4 stringers cut and 2 coats of CPES . I noticed the rudder just didn't look right so I took it apart instead of a wood backer board glassed to the hull somebody used plastic attached only with rusty steel carriage bolts . I used MDO plywood coated with CPES and glassed over the top then epoxied to the hull. As long as it was out I went ahead and polished all the brass parts. I got 1 main stringer bedded in with epoxy. I think I can get the rest in tomorrow.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 10>
  Share Topic