Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle/Shift lever problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle/Shift lever problem
    Posted: November-07-2018 at 5:32pm
I was working on my 96 176 and during the process my shift lever wouldn’t shift out of neutral. Along with it, the engine wouldn’t start. I finally figured out that even though the selector showed that it was in neutral, it wasn’t.

When I looked under the selector there was a part that looked out of position. As I moved the lever I was able to rotate the errant part back into position, which solved the problem.

Without pictures or a better description, does this sound familiar? I’m curious whether I should remove it and clean and lubricate it.

Thanks
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2018 at 6:43pm
Here is a picture of the control on my 98 SN,. there is a Philips screw holding the handle on the shaft ( red arrow). Before it will come off though you need to loosen an allen head set screw in the little slot of the chrome ring (blue arrow). this should help unless you are having trouble with spring loaded catch that is moved by pulling up on the safety collar under the top of the handle. Taking it apart and cleaning should show you something for sure.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2018 at 7:21pm
I might be wrong but mine did not come off like that. If you remove the 4-6 nuts on the back of the upholstery panel it, you can pull the panel off around the chrome shaft and you can see the mechanism better. I have pictures of what my 98 SN looks like inside if you want. I left my lever and even knob on the whole time while I reworked it.

2005 Ski Nautique
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2018 at 10:54am
Interesting they are that different. My 98 SN required the removal of the handle, Then the upholstery panel, then the control is mounted to the fiberglass with 4 screws and nuts.
My point was the problem may just be in the handle and or set screw being loose. My safety release was very erratic and sticky. I completely dismantled and cleaned the whole handle assembly and that took care of it.

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2018 at 12:38pm
That is interesting. Maybe I just took mine off differently. I might have just not taken the effort to try to get the lever off. Makes me interested in doing so.
2005 Ski Nautique
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2018 at 11:31pm
I worked on my shifter a few years back. Cleaned it, lubed it and replaced it. Only to determine that the cables needed to be replaced. After replacing the cables, it works great with the new shifter. I also determined that the 4 bolts securing the mechanism to the fiberglass are different lengths. Reinstalling the wrong one in the wrong hole interfered with the shifter. I still have the old shifter, which still works fine. You can have it for a good price if you want it.
Jim
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2018 at 12:06am
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try cleaning it and lubing it. At least when next spring comes along. I'm just not crazy about having to pull the upholstery panel off to get to it

Time to put it away for the winter.

Thanks again, Don
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic