NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

worn valve stem

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: worn valve stem
    Posted: September-27-2019 at 11:20am
Men I have some visuals to share with you finally

Sorry the tach is not solved yet. I have a borrowed one to try out soon

Here is a WOT launch view out the stern
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA8mbxFTi0o

The OJ 4Force is churning a froth, lots of wasted energy there over 40mph, but it does flatten the propwash energy over a wide swath at ski speeds,
gets the 2001 style tri-peak when the boat is more level and slower.

Full Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGNXkgBcHTaGHlViysRo2JA/videos
there is some skiing of myself and guest

and a clip of taking the boat 24,26,28,30,32,34,36 mph
The wake is still twisted up, the starboard chine runs too deep with just me in the boat

In the skiing videos, the boat is better balanced but not great, but the wake responds to the flatness.

I'm going to try to get the engine over more within the bounds of the log and strut, and hopefully minimize need for counterweight.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 11:02am
Some sustained WOT to report..

from 40 to 45 moves quick, and lands on 46 solidly, it seemed like it could creep to 47 if i held it longer or found the perfect water but i doubt any more. Felt like it was it was more limited by the hull and the OJ 4-force, as parasitics likely climbed exponentially.
It was churning throwing quite the froth out the back. but the wider spread of propwash nets me a great wake where i operate most.

Right where i wanted to be i think. No carb spacer at the moment, but one will go on this season, Clay indicates if i relief grind the fiberglass hood less than the the diameter of a tennis ball, i can fit in the spacer ". The wood trim on surface would make the engine cover mod inconsequential.
Suspect an open spacer could boost wot but i have the 4-hole and studs in-hand.

I don't have the tach solved, but it sounded like 4900-5000 if i were to make best guess. that will be curious
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 11:01am
I don't have any visuals to share quite yet but the boat performed terrific through the weekend;
friday night blub, morning ski sessions sat and sunday

My typical 28 off 34mph felt quite good, wake was even better than i remember, pull was solid af.

My ski friend who starts his session at 22 off let out an audible WOW what a great wake while sinking back into the water.
I didn't see much a hump at all, and his ski was staying well planted exiting the wakes, usually that length and speed is prone to the most launch on a boat.
Speed compensation was barely necessary, holding +/-1 with no throttle inputs

My gf skis at 25 mph, wake was similarly flat, and quite inconsequential. It was markedly similar to a malibu response at that speed, may even be as good or touch better now.

However if loaded with 4 aboard , the more modern boat will excel every day.

Side spray is somewhat reduced, but still present. it likes to go vertical as much as horizontal on these boats. just a function of the hull shape

For next season it will get a home made sanger-style wake-plate for more fine-tuning fun. Not nearly as involved a project

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 5:45pm
I think you ruined it... now you are going to have to hang a ladder step off your loading platform.   Looks good from here! Hopefully the weekend yields a ski or two.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 10:52am
Its still early to declare victory with the camshaft/lifter but its sounding good so far.

mentioned prior I made up a technique to promote proper lifter break in...
During the build, after setting preload but before placing the intake on, I recorded the location of the lifters snap ring, then gave it 20 spins, and verified that they each rotated.

However before that, it occurred to me that in order for a lifter to spin proper, there must be metal-to-metal rotation occurring at the rocker/pushrod interface, or at the lifter/pushrod interface in order for the lifter to rotate any.

So I took a length of paracord and gave it a wrap or two around a pushrod, one at a time. Then kept tension on the cord on each hand, and by pulling one side then the other about 10 times spinning each pushrod while it is preloaded, (but not on the active valves, then rotate the engine and did the others).
This spun each pushrod a couple hundred times in short order, seating and burnishing the dished metal interfaces, and suspect it promoted proper lifter rotation by letting these metal interfaces slide and rotate, especially at the pushrod cup in the rocker

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 10:43am
Weather and such has inhibited a proper ski, hard to believe it hasn't been skied yet. you must be screaming at your monitor...
But getting some time on the engine, still without issue. Just re-torqued the exhaust manifolds due to just a little blowby on one runner, seems to have cured it. So i have opened the toolbox officially. Engine has no sketchy sounds. The 1.25" hose to the Johnson pump touches the floorboard, so i get a little groaning, but that soon will be remedied.

The higher volume of the Johnson pump is keeping the Commanders very cool under all conditions. Don't regret changing the front cover and pump now.
But being able to take the belt off for a short startup will be missed.

Boat still lists to starboard slightly, in spite of nudging the engine over to port 1/8". I'll see if i can get some more out of it without contact on the log. But one engine mount is quite extended already.
I have some weeping around the log/fiberglass interface, its very porous layup there. It will need some proper grinding and epoxy and mat when out of the water

It performance is nimble, rides a touch higher, wake is looking great as predicted.   Visibly at rest, the platform is the highest i've ever observed.

'Low' side..

'high' side..

River Rat to Mole
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2019 at 6:06am
That is good news, sounding like you are good to go. Have fun.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2019 at 10:15am
Thank you all

Will get out for a blub Sat night and first ski should be Sunday AM, weather permitting

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Great progress! did your blue smoke clear up?

Indeed, no evidence of smoke now. Appears entirely attributable to the PVC and my full removal of the baffles in the stock covers

River Rat to Mole
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2019 at 2:26am
Great progress! did your blue smoke clear up?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 9:16pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Picture worth a thousand words. You have got to feel pretty good after all that work. Nice job and congrats. Its been great reading along thru the project.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 6:28pm
Ha! That's right
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

I'll keep an eye out for a nice Correct Craft next time I pass through.

And..............keep the other eye out for a Ski Supreme
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 5:26pm
Yes - always stop at the Bean for breakfast or lunch. Thompson is great. I've run my cars at the Speedway on the new road course. I'll keep an eye out for a nice Correct Craft next time I pass through.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

Looks beautiful! Whereabouts are you in NE CT? I get out to Putnam/Pomfret occasionally on the bike. Beautiful country there.

Oh, you must stop at the Bean then for refreshments.?
Im a touch north of there in Thompson
Yeah its pleasant for cycle of any type, i pedal those towns, Pomfret, Eastford, Woodstock, good selection of eats in Putnam now.

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 3:26pm
Good for you, hope the slalom wake looks as good as the engine...

I can’t discuss RPMS competently yet
The MSD has always made the Tach wonky, and never found a good solution over the years, but, it would be good to solve it this season.

I had the original Tach from my 83 in my hands yesterday when I was looking for a bilge pump in my pile of junk... I never got it or a new faria one that I bought to read well with the MSD box. MSD at the time was not super helpful, told me to try a different one. The perfect pass reads rpm with it no problem so I gave up and put the perfect pass in the tach spot. Hopefully you can find something more elegant.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 2:39pm
With the commander manifolds, it occurred to me while trailering that coming down the driveway, muffler water could slosh forward and get into a cylinder.
So I bumped the engine a couple revolutions with the coil wire off before starting, to make sure it didn’t hydrolock

It worked. No drama. No weird sounds. no vibration. no smells. no leaks. No adjustments.
It ran like a factory fresh boat.
Appears I had sorted out every detail in the driveway
Ran it two hours, and never opened my toolbox once. huh.

It snaps to plane smartly as predicted. the midrange pull is fierce and doesn’t wheeze out in the higher thirties like it used to.
No sustained top speed runs, but brought it up to 43 into the wind with authority before pulling back. Didn’t want to use up all the good ju ju in one day.
Its skiable by high margin, that’s the primary mission.

After couple hours of running, mostly on plane, and minimizing idling. Did two launches with my phone gps app active…
Got 0-20 in 1.8s, 0-40 in 6.2s.   and think I could have launched harder and tuning could net more, but it feels really great as is.

Its premature to speak of wake improvements until I have a passenger seated to flatten the boat better.
But, never seen this much of the platform bracket above the waterline, and bow is higher when idling back into my own wake, so that’s a good indicator

I can’t discuss RPMS competently yet
The MSD has always made the Tach wonky, and never found a good solution over the years, but, it would be good to solve it this season.

Thanks for the guidance men,
And big thanks to my friend John who arranged the heavy equipment and took the time to move it safe and sane

River Rat to Mole
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 2:36pm
Looks beautiful! Whereabouts are you in NE CT? I get out to Putnam/Pomfret occasionally on the bike. Beautiful country there.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 2:30pm

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 2:28pm

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2019 at 3:31pm

comon comon givitup givitup givitup
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2019 at 9:58am
Thanks Mark!

This was a calculated risk, leaving the jugs and slugs alone for now, and prepare a replacement shortblock with proper TF compatible pistons at my leisure over the new few years. Also at that time go roller cam and utilize the extra 0.050 lift available to get to 0.550 range.

Alternatively could have just freshened everything with overbore and pistons and such, but only have almost exactly what i had prior,, just without the valvetrain noise and gain only modest improved power and minimal weight losses.

Or go CHI upgrade now with only new bearings and have improved performance for a spell .

Doing both at this time was not economically feasible. If compression was already compromised that would have been a different scenario to figure out.

At 1100 hours i figured getting new rings to seat with a basement hone was a risk not worth taking, due to it not working, much the season is compromised.

There was normal PVC blowby i would say, not excessive.

Well my valve cover solution is..incomplete...
odd how something so mundane can cause issues. ah details.

While the proform covers are indeed taller, they spot welded the baffles at almost exactly the same height as the stock covers, so they still hit the rocker locknuts

Had to dremel and Bam Bam a baffle last night to try. Think i can make it work while keeping the baffle functional, but the grommets come real close to compromising flow in proximity to the baffle, so i have to be careful of the dimensions left.

Oil pressure is looking great. 60 startup to 40 at 160 degrees. its been banging off the 0 stop at idle after a pull for many years. I suspect that should translate to around 20 idle after a good pull..

River Rat to Mole
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2019 at 4:13pm
Glad you have it running again. It is early June so you still have a large part of the season to enjoy. You mentioned some blue smoke. I don't remember if you installed new piston rings on this job.   Rings will need to be loaded to seat in the cylinder.
Once the boat is on the water and you accelerate they should seat in quickly.
Was there a lot of blow by in the PVC? That would be a sure sign the rings are not seated.
Modern Rings will seat in the first or second dyno pull normally. It happens quickly.
A boat accerating on the water does a great job of loading the engine for ring break in.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Sounds like success so far- nice!

Hoping to launch this weekend?

Thanks!
I was worried lat night, had a drip from the 'riser'/manifold connection. Turns out it was just exhaust condensing inside the cold manifolds and a loose clamping bolt letting it get by. But really was concerning for a while till determined the manifolds were not compromised.

One should should think so at this rate, huh? , but my gf's son is graduating this weekend, confounding boat logistics. and she's doing a half IM next Saturday. Its all great stuff, just a massive collision of awesomeness.
maybe midweek next week

Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Our blessed mother of acceleration awaits her newborn. That’s really nice throttle response. Hope you can do a few lake run ups for us soon on YouTube

Yeah!
AM Mass at Our Lady of the Holy Handle will have to wait just a bit longer.. Should be good

River Rat to Mole
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2019 at 1:25pm
Our blessed mother of acceleration awaits her newborn. That’s really nice throttle response. Hope you can do a few lake run ups for us soon on YouTube
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2019 at 12:25pm
Sounds like success so far- nice!

Hoping to launch this weekend?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2019 at 10:27am
We were in a holding pattern the last month waiting for the mini excavator to be available, but it was getting held up..

Quick story the engine is in the boat without incident, but not without fighting us much the day Sunday

My good friend had access to equipment but this unit wasn’t as robust as the mini excavator we used in February when taking the shortblock out and putting it in the basement

This JD loader/hoe not only was shy the hydraulic power to raise its boom when loaded with the engine, , it would also creep down when raised with the arm, so even using a higher starting elevation by putting the unit higher on my wall above the boat, we would only get one, somewhat uncontrolled decent chance to align. Not an option

Then we decided to use the bucket to install the engine. This had the power, but not best three-axis maneuverability. It was also yet undetermined if it would have enough reach over the boat and still hit centerline.

We decided to move the cast engine mounts left on the boat to the engine and, and as it got closer, yank the lags out of the tranny mounts, and place the transmission with its mounts on the block before lowering it all in as a unit.

This worked out without incident but we were four hours into it at that point, having creating many plans to work around the machine limitations.

However, no people or boats were injured in the making of this saga, so that is a victory itself

With remaining day closing, most critical umbilical’s , gazintas and gazzoutas were connected, modified and improvised in effort to hear some life and confirm it doesn’t frag, oil stays where it should, etc…

Engine is not aligned, nor is raw water pump active, running it straight from hose

First checked cranking - that sounded entirely normal.

Next we applied water and checked for any water where it shouldn’t be for a good while

With water still running, turned it by hand 2 revolutions without it hydrolocking

Then It puffed quickly with helper 2-stroke gas, FO appears correct (old LH 302 order) and base timing was surprisingly correct enough for first start by mark1 eyeball upon assembly.
One shut down occurred to snug the fuel bowls, and secure this and that.

Some shuddering and roughness at first. We soon got it 2000+rpm for 20 minutes while checking for any oils in the bilge, no water in the oil, no oil in the water.

It was a mad dash with nary a time for a picture, nor any funny videos like one would suppose.

After 20 minutes running high rpm , with a few shut downs to check things , no irregular noises, clunks nor clicks except from an angry vbelt alignment. Some celebratory beers and raw cleanup of the disaster of tools and such about.
It was all supposed to be an operating room precision operation with tools laid out like surgical instruments but looked more like typical boat yard daily work . Kept it real.

During the 20 minutes, on some throttle-ups, blue smoke was observed puffing one exhaust runner, as well as the rear of the boat, one exhaust side.   Manifolds will be retorqued, and may get red silicon rtv if torqueing doesn’t cure.

We pulled the pvc, and the oil spray was quite dramatic off the rockers and out the hole. No doubt the pvc is sucking copious oil in the absence of the baffles. It cleared enough to confirm it is causal to the PVC. The oil is water-free. Bilge is oil free. Camshaft survived. That was a big relief.   I did a trick I made up on the pushrods upon assembly that I think increases chances of survival of a new flat cam, ill share sometime

Now proper height valve covers are on order, with baffles I need. Will have them tomorrow night. Found some black stamped steel ones, cheapest tall covers I could find, proform. Looks like the covers will go back to black color.
Huh, and blank wasn’t a choice, needed to pick from Mustang, no. Ford Racing, no, I only have about 20 bucks of Ford racing parts on it.
Last choice was, cobra.. meh, ok.

So… it will be a cobra..

Maybe not all that different theme than Corvette Indmars did.

Next, water pump, aligning, more tuning, throttle bracket has to be modified to reach.
I get some buzzing from the Primary needle after shutdown, and post shut-down drips. Primary bowl will have to come off

When warmed up, its throttle response and quick revving with very modest throttle sounded quite… exhilarating.

Last night did some more tuning, rough alignment, retorqued exhaust manifolds

Videos from last night available on this channel as well as other related stuff

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGNXkgBcHTaGHlViysRo2JA

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2019 at 4:13pm
Well lots of little details. Fittings, hardware, what to reuse,what new. Antisieze , rtv, threadlock , teflon tape or quicksilver anticorrosion grease.
Johnson pump is 1.25" where the PCM system is all 1", still has to be solved.
New timing set bumps balancer outward, now crank pully is off. Shimming water pump pulley seems best fix

Here is the PCMINDMARCOMMANDER

Here is an image of the boat's wake last season, for reference. Loaded lightly here, maybe 285 of driver and observer. Image is at 15 off and 30mph.   decent for its '82 vintage, i think.

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2019 at 10:18am
Pictures.
it may get bolted down tonight

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2019 at 12:08am

Yikes Joe, we're you able to save it?

After a few days of wallowing in defeat I bought a tank of argon, used a bit of copper tubing as a backer and mig welded it up - took me a half dozen tries and quite a bit of cleanup but it survived.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic