NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

worn valve stem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: worn valve stem
    Posted: November-08-2018 at 11:57am
huh..found my noise..

one of these things, is not like the other...

Anyone have a good used 1.45" 351W exhaust valve and a pedestal rocker laying about i can buy and compensate to put in a box?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2018 at 2:36pm
I would be shocked if I didn't - what vintage are you working with there?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2018 at 4:27pm

Yay!
This is an '82 model year PCM Joe
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2018 at 9:17pm
Sadly I found nothing, apparently the scrap yard got them, only factory ford heads I found on the shelf are 351m from 78 - and 289 heads from 65.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2018 at 9:23pm
Thanks for looking Joe!

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2018 at 6:21am
I figure you could get a new valve and rocker arm from a reputable outfit like Melling or Sealed Power just for a couple of examples, for around 20 bucks total through about any local auto parts store, so why go used?

Maybe a little more with that CT state tax thrown in.   
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2018 at 8:06am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I figure you could get a new valve and rocker arm from a reputable outfit like Melling or Sealed Power just for a couple of examples, for around 20 bucks total through about any local auto parts store, so why go used?

You have to be careful letting new parts into your engine, they are like shots of Tequila, once you let in one new part next thing he sneaking friends in pretty soon you have aluminum heads, a cam, and an intake on a perfectly good engine. Better just to never open the parts book up.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You have to be careful letting new parts into your engine, they are like shots of Tequila, once you let in one new part next thing he sneaking friends in pretty soon you have aluminum heads, a cam, and an intake on a perfectly good engine. Better just to never open the parts book up.

Well said Joe, Believe me, my 'head ' is spinning, GT40P, Flo-Tek, AFR, P38,...

Best I keep the turd polish in the bottle

Yeah Ken, that may be just what to do

River Rat to Mole
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2018 at 11:33am
What would make 1 stem wear so much faster than the others? A bad lifter?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Well said Joe, Believe me, my 'head ' is spinning, GT40P, Flo-Tek, AFR, P38,...

Yes, you do need to be careful with your thinking as Joe mentioned. Pretty soon he'll have you thinking towards something like this:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2018 at 11:55am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

What would make 1 stem wear so much faster than the others? A bad lifter?

I suspect Tom either knows or will know when he takes it apart -

Could be a material defect somewhere,, rocker, valve stem - ear starts and once you aren't pushing polished surfaces things start go bad.. but not likely

Could be lack of oil through the pushrod serving the rocker worth checking the lifter and the pushrod,

Or either the rocker sticks/has stuck at one point or the valve sticks/has stuck at one point .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 10:38am
Almost embarrassed to say, its Its made noise since i acquired it. ..Two decades ago.

but this its the first year I committed to taking it apart

Appears no more collateral damage other than the affected pieces
expected a worn cam lobe, but not this.
I suspect a bad lifter started the issue,
But it will get a new Cam and lifters, maybe p heads, or just the valve and rocker, not sure yet. heavy budgeting post divorce and kid still in college

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic