NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Freezing nights, but still skiing ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 3:38pm
personally if you get the good premixed antifreeze from west marine, purple or green stuff your good to go, it's non-toxic, prevents rust, lubes and you don't have to drain it come spring just let it pump out when fogging and tuning up the motor for the season. Much easier then trying to get the mix right and I don't acgree that it won't freeze if used straight. Guess you could throw some in the freezer and try it out, if it gets slushy then it will freeze given enough temp.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 6:18pm
We have this same discussion every year. If you are going through the trouble to add the anti-freeze, be on the safe side and mix it 50/50 unless it's the premixed or ready to use kind. It's easy. I leave the boat in the lift year round and don't do anything other than throw a light in the engine compartment if it's going to be below freezing for a couple of days. That doesn't happen that often here.
Antifreeze alone will freeze around 10F. Water of course freezes at 32F. As you mix the two, the Freeze Point drops until you have about 60% antifreeze/40% water. That's because of "hydrogen bonding". Or as one of my chemistry professors would say, the molocules holding hands...the water holds hands with the ethylene glychol.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 6:42pm
I sucks training the newbees every year, oh wait their not new,

Good info, wish I could get by with the light bulb in the motor box, you never know up north if it's going to be -10 for a week or 0 for the month. And the northeners across the border in the sticks, I can only imagine how cold and for how long it stays around, then again their boats are winterized already I guess.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 3:00pm
Wow, Thanks jimbo, so a 60/40 mix of water and ethylene glycol has a lower freezing point than just 100% ethylenr glycol. I had never heard that and am happy to know it. Thank you for the great explenation. I guess I need to drain and mix as I put in 100% antifreeze.
Work to live, not live to work.

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 4:59pm
79Tique--depending on where you live, that might be a good idea. You might have problems if it gets below 10 F for a couple of days. At 50/50 you're good down to -35F. If you want to go through the ha$$le of mixing a 60/40 solution, you'll be good down to -65F. That's North Pole cold
I'd just dump two gals of anti-freeze and 2 gals of water in a bucket and run it through the engine.
By the way, don't forget to "fog" the engine, if you're putting it down for the winter. There are a number of post on winterization.
Like I said, I don't do anything special. I seem to remember JIM in Houston posting something a couple years back about his method of winterizing. Involved hoping in the boat and cruising down to a beer joint I believe.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 12:07am
Jimbo, that is impressive info, but then you threw in the chart! That's strong.

JIH...that is killer funny. I'm glad you brought that up Jimbo. Jim, was that beer joint on Chocolate?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 4:29pm
I guess I should give credit where credit is due. I got the graph from this Article
Here's a couple of links on winterization:
Ski boat help
Discount Inboard Marine
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 11:21pm
Now I'm fully living up to the "Newbie" title, what is fogging the motor?

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 1:36am
You wouldn't believe me if I told you! Click the Discount marine link above, then go to their site and look up fogging oil.
I've never done it but I live where it's hard to breath after walking 1/2 mile in August
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 1:45am
FOG

I've also heard that it's wise to tape up the exhaust flaps so rodents don't set up shop.
Down here, we just have to worry about:

Click for Closeup
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 12:24pm
I see. Thanks for all your help jimbo. The temps end up getting down to zero once or twice a year in my area so I'll be putting in the mix, and it sounds easy so I'll fog too.
Thanks again.

weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 10:31pm
does anybody else use the pink rv/boat antifreeze? I thought this stuff was designed for boats because it is safe for the environment. I sure don't mind using regular car stuff, but I hate dealing with it in the spring!

So is this pink stuff safe to use or not?

thanks!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic