Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Freezing nights, but still skiing ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freezing nights, but still skiing ?
    Posted: September-04-2006 at 11:30pm
I have a 79 Ski Tique with a Ford 302 Commander that I found on CC Fan this summer. I'm in Central Oregon and we have freezing nights with warm days in September. We are still skiing several days a week but the temps drop below freezing at night. I park my boat out side and am worried about freezing dammage. I have been dry starting the boat after I take it out of the lake just to flush out some of the water from the manifolds but I'm looking for any other ideas. Temps are getting in the 32-25 range just for a few hours each night do I need to be concirned?
Work to live, not live to work.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 8:27am
I know a guy who puts a light bulb under the oil pan, just like people do to keep their water pump for their house from freezing. With a car, which has a motor exposed to the elements more than an inboard, it takes several hours at 18 degrees to freeze a block.
Tim D
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 11:03am
I've dropped a trouble light in the bilge before. It definitely keeps the heat up, but I didn't sleep too well...would hate to see a fire start somehow.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 12:58pm
shouldnt worry about it if it's just a couple hours a night that it's below freezing, needs to be up to 8-9 hrs i believe for any real damage to occur. But like others have said, drop a light bulb under your motorbox for some insurance if you'd like.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 2:46pm
Thanks for the light bulb suggestion. I'll give a try on the colder nights.
Does any one know how well starting the boat out of water and running it a few seconds works to clear out water in the manifolds?
Could I do dammage by doing this?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 2:56pm
Running it for a quick second *might* not damage it, but it doesnt take long to fry an impeller. Theres really no advantage in doing so, as you wont remove an appreciable amount of water from your manifolds or block.

Like everyone else suggested, youre probably OK as long as you dont have several days of freezing temps in a row. Of course, it only takes a few minutes to drain the motor if it gives you peace of mind.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 3:05pm
Thanks TRBenj thats the info I was looking for.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 3:36pm
The dry start is only going to blow water out of the exhaust between the elbow and the exhaust flapper.
Tim D
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 12:26am
TR: you're raising the bar of vocabulary use on this site with "an appreciable amount." Good thing guys like you are here to offset those of us who would say something like, "a bunch of" in that sentence.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 10:19am
Just keep it in the water. The water will keep it warm.

Draining the whole engine is not possible, there are plenty of spots where water can pool.

Tim
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 10:06pm
I bought a real cool set of valves that screw into your manifolds, block, and water pump J-tube. I bought them from ski-dim. They are great. Like the other guy said, it is impossible to get the water out of every crevice, but this should get the majority out of the manifolds and block. I am trying to rig up a way to easily pump antifreeze into the motor without making a mess. I am really wanting to pour just a tiny bit in each manifold and a 1/2 gallon in the block because we do ski into the fall too but don't want to do a full winterization. Gets expensive!

But check out the valves. They were about 50 bucks or so. Well worth it!!!!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2006 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

The dry start is only going to blow water out of the exhaust between the elbow and the exhaust flapper.

And burn up the impeller
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 11:26pm
OK I'm giving up the dry start. I'll make sure there is not gas building up while the boat is off, and start using a light bulb on the colder nights. I can't leave the boat in the water at the public dock and I don't live on the lake.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 3:39am
On super cold nights (in Texas, dipping into the 20s, I've stuck a monkey light under the engine cover and never had a problem.
Lately I've been wishing for it to cool off 30 degrees or so

OR is a great place to visit this time of year.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 11:01pm
If your curious to know what is going on put acup of water inside the engine cover somewhere and see what it does .

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 11:33pm
Yeh OR is nice this time of year. It's starting to get a little cool (snow on our mountain pa$$es forcasted for this weekend)days are still warm enought to ski with a shorty though.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by jimbo jimbo wrote:

Lately I've been wishing for it to cool off 30 degrees or so

I'm ready for some cooler weather too. Spending the day in the boat on Thursday. Out on Galveston Bay.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 10:50pm
Dude: Know what ya mean....90's every day...sunny....little afternoon rain and then humid. Boy its tough here in FLA!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 11:03pm
La. about the same 90 in the day 70 at nite,will not winterize till dec.will pull the chute and ski till turkey day. Tim i always said and have observed 17 is the magic number,it will split a GM Vortec right at the balance shaft,manifolds are a little more forgiving.open the block drain valves,drain the ex. manifolds,dont take but a few min. and well worth the piece of mind,drop lites in the bilge,NOT IN MY BOAT,just drain the water,how hard is this.................. boat dr
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 12:25am
Sept. 17th was our last day on the water for this season. I winterized the boat on the afternoon of the 18th, it was very sad it feels to early but the temps are getting cold (in the teens at night ).
Just want to make sure I did this right as this is my first Fall with the boat. I hooked water up to the pick up pump and ran the boat until it was at normal running temp. Then let it suck antifreeze until green was running out the tail pipes. I opened the block drain and made sure green was comming out of it too. Then I sucked R.V. antifreeze (pink stuff) into the bilge pump.
Took the battery out and that's it.
Is there any thing more I need to do?

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 9:29am
I hope you didn't use straight antifreeze and it was mixed.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 1:03pm
Plain atifreeze will mix with water already in the engine. I use very little water mixture, then check the freezing point on that which comes out, but I run it/recycle until I get hot antifreeze.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 4:25pm
not a very accurate method and you cannot depend on the mix being evenly distributed either. Personally it's not a very good way to winterize your motor and leaves a lot of room for the block to crack because it's not done right.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 5:49pm
Yeah, 16 years doing it wrong and no problems. I check the freezing point of that which comes out dumba$$. Now I'm starting to sound like you.
Tim D
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 8:49pm
i use to do some work for this marina in which they also stored boats in the winter and when it got real cold out early in the season the owner said he could hear the blocks snap if he was outside near the yard and he would just giggle knowing he had more work in the spring, i did a 2005 larson this year with 12 hours on it. even the manifolds were just about snapped in half. that was a 5k oops
"the things you own will start to own you"
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:46am
I usually just pour a bit of brandy in the fake-a-lake and run it for a few minutes. Then I pour a little brandy in me, then a little more in the boat. One for me, two for her.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:30pm
My understanding about mixing the antifreeze is that you mix it with water because the antifreeze does a poor job of exchanging heat. In the boat it just needs to prevent freezing while the boat is is parked for the winter. I will flush it out next spring before the boat goes to the lake, the lake water will do all the cooling. Also I think straight antifreeze does a great job of lubercating and preventing rust. I know it must be mixed in a car for cooling reasons but does any one know a reason that it must be mixed in the boat for winterizing?

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:58pm
79, that is a good question,the main component consists of Ethlene Glycol,this in itself will not freeze at any temp you guys have up there,we dont do any thing down here but drain,EVERYTHING,that has water in it,manifolds,coolers,risers etc. on the coast they fill the blocks w/anti freeze,but this is to slow down the rust monster,but he always wins.we only have fresh water this far up......... boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 2:44pm
if your real cheap and want to save a buck or two use windshield washer fluid with a rust inhibitor...... i know guys that do   eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 2:52pm
79Nautique said I hope you mixed with water and did not use straight antifreeze. My post above was in response to that. Is there a reason to mix the antifreeze other than saving a few cents? I also want to make sure that as long as I ran the motor long enough to open the thermostat that antifreeze is everywhere it needs to be. Any thoughtsd out there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic