NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Start - No Luck

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Start - No Luck
    Posted: November-18-2018 at 2:35pm
First off a big thanks to Zach for the tech support over the past few weeks.
So following the Badin Mini and what seemed like endless rain the BFN would not start.despite having fuel..
First sign that something hokey was taking place was the engine would not start when the key was in the crank mode but when let go to the run position it would.
Upon the “suggestion” of another I picked up a new switch (Cole Hearse).
Also, new plugs, points, condenser (wires earlier this year). Pulled the new coil from my Chris Craft to see if that made a difference- same results

Fast forward - Zach says try a jumper from a “hot” source to the coil and try to start. Boom - fired right up..

Quick check behind the dash all looks to be in order (to me at least).
12.5 v at the battery, 11.8 v at the switch
With key in the run position I get 11.98 at one side of the resistor and 6.98 on the (purple) side

I will be the first to say what I know about electrical systems is that is is best left to others but I am not ready to give up but not looking to wear out the tech (text) hotline.

Pete, I am getting better with the volt meter
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2018 at 7:20pm
Have you checked your 8 plug connector on the back of the engine for corrosion etc on the terminals.?

If it hasn't been apart since who knows when, you might find bad connectors leading to a bigger than normal voltage drop to the ballast resistor and coil when the starter is turning and drawing big amounts of current. If voltage to the coil is low enough during cranking, it won't start due to really weak spark or no spark.

Do it carefully so you don't break any connectors if they're weak and corroded.

You could make the "Zach jumper" permanent pretty easily by running a wire from the "I"
terminal on your slave solenoid to the positive terminal of the coil. 12 gauge wire would be good.

It will bypass the resistor and supply full voltage to the coil when you're cranking the engine and when the key goes back to RUN there's no power to the "I" terminal any more and the resistor is back in the circuit supplying reduced voltage to the coil..

It does the same thing as the jumper you put in and I assume you take it back out once the engine is running.

It's kinda a band aid fix but some people do it to ensure that they have full coil voltage when the key is in the START position.

PCM didn't wire their points systems with this bypass but other companies like Indmar and Mercruiser and some others did.

It could also be that your starter is on the way out and drawing excessive current and dragging down the voltage in the whole system when when it's running.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 8:49am
Gave Ken's suggestion a try and with the turn of the key the boat fired right up.
Think the band aid may stay on for now and get the last bit of skiing in 2018 that I can
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 10:44am
Good deal, It probably makes sufficient voltage to the coil when the alternator is charging the system. Just can't perform through the ballast resistor with the starter turning.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 12:42pm
Good stuff! Learn something new every day!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Gave Ken's suggestion a try and with the turn of the key the boat fired right up.
Think the band aid may stay on for now and get the last bit of skiing in 2018 that I can

That band aid might just become permanent, ya never know.

Quite a bit of CCF discussion over the years, some people swear by it, others say you don't need it, but it does just what Zach said..........full power to the coil and the rest of the ignition system on a start.

If your wiring isn't in the best condition or you have a bad connection or 2 causing voltage drop when cranking,or the starter is drawing a lot of current, etc it helps out and it hurts nothing

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic