Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to clean engine parts at home?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robdubbleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to clean engine parts at home?
    Posted: November-28-2018 at 5:08pm
Hey folks,

I'm taking apart basically the whole engine to rebuild. I need to clean all the metal pieces that aren't going to the engine shop, such as pulleys, thermostat housing, etc. What's the best way to clean off all the old paint, rust, grease, etc? I know elbow-grease will be needed, but what do you guys recommend as the easiest way to go about this? I'm not in a hurry at the moment so if there's something I can soak them in for a week or so, that'd be great.

Thanks!
1976 Ski Nautique (PCM 351) - Currently under major renovation: floor, carpet, interior, gel coat, engine overhaul - ALMOST DONE!
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2018 at 7:54pm
I use diesel fuel.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2018 at 11:59pm
Lamp oil (you can get it at Wally's) is basically a hi grade kerosene & works well for me.

If you have baked-on grease, oven cleaner works good too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2018 at 5:32pm
Since the cost of solvent went up I have been using diesel fuel. It is cheap and available and many gas stations. It is not flammable making it pretty safe for this use.
It breaks down grease quickly.
For minor jobs I use a product called purple power.   It works well for cleaning dirty engine parts.
For internal engine parts and the engine block internals I use Dawn Dish wash soap and warm water. Then dry and oil the parts quickly so they don't rust.
For the Tin, Oil Pan, Valve covers, Timing cover I drop them off at a local machine shop. He runs them through the hot tank.   There is sludge under the windage trays in some oil pans and valve covers that you can't get to.   The sludge drys out after the engine is apart for a few weeks as you overhaul and wait for parts.   When new oil is introduced to these sludge deposits they break up and can do damage to a new engine.
If your valve covers and oil pan do not have windage trays or areas that can't be cleaned just wash them out..

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2018 at 3:14pm
Mark I use the purple stuff when parts come out of the diesel. I just use a tin oil change pan and a real parts brush. Spay, sit and power wash. Then a spritz of CRC and onto the cart.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic