Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine heads

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gchris1988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gchris1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine heads
    Posted: December-02-2018 at 5:45am
Hi all, I'm new on here, I have a 1979 ski nautique with a ford v8 351w
So I have a few problems and I'm not mechanically savvy with engines, but I know the basics,
On removing the block drain and exhaust drain there was engine oil present. This would suggest to me that the block is cracked, cylinder head is cracked or the head gasket is away. There are hoses that we need to drain that drains are sheered and are bonded on with sealant and one exhaust manifold plug looks like it has never been off. So can’t get them out easily.
What are my options, and what is the best route to take in repairing
Help would be appreciated I'm based in scotland
Thanks
Chris
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2018 at 9:23am
Chris,
Welcome to CCfan. We always ask for pictures so if you can post some, we'd love to see the boat.

Are you sure the oil is engine oil and not trans fluid? If the trans cooler is compromised, then the oil could be coming from it. Check the trans for water which would indicate the cooler may be the problem.

Getting hoses off can be a problem even if a sealant hasn't been used. The rubber over time has a tendency to bond to the metal. Wedging something like a screwdriver between the rubber and metal and then working it around the hose seems to work.

Exhaust drains can also be a problem since they corrode into the manifold. Heat may be needed. In some severe cases, the manifold needs to be removed for better leverage or even machining the plug out. If you are winterizing the manifolds, a temporary solution is to remove the water hose from the end and then vacuum the water out. It will get the majority of the water and then get plenty of antifreeze in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2018 at 10:05am
Chris,
One more thing and that's a suggestion to continue your thread in the engine section of the forums as I feel you will get a better response. The new section is of the forums is for "What's new at CorrectCraftFan.com"

Also when you get a chance, check out the FAQ thread in the maintenance section. It's a "sticky" at the very top and contains links to some fantastic topics.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2018 at 11:04am
Chris - You might want to do a pressure test of water circuit in engine before spending much more time trying to get stubborn plugs out. You just need to close off input & output ports, Then fashion a air hose fitting & gage into one of them. it should hold 15 PSI.

If the block or manifolds are cracked you will know it right away.

If so, you would be better off just pulling the engine out of boat.

Good luck
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic