Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone ever pulled apart Commander manifolds?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone ever pulled apart Commander manifolds?
    Posted: December-06-2018 at 1:22am
Pulled these off a parts boat today. They polish up well, but unfprtunately they were left outside on an engine without an intake manifold and they got some water inside them. Inner jacket on the elbow pieces have some rot holes. I want to see what the water jacket looks like inside the aluminum manifold itself.

I’ve pulled the nuts joining the elbow to the manifold and it won’t come apart. Before I go crazy using force, is there any trick to this?

1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2018 at 9:00am
You're in for some fun kid

I guess you got the free American Skier after all

If you read page 8 and 9 of the link, you'll see some discussion about these manifolds and getting the ends off

Actually, read the whole thread there's a lot of info and plenty of great entertainment value mixed in.

link
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2018 at 9:35am
There are some holes in the inner jacket of the elbows that are intended to be there- if you are just trying to inspect a cheap camere might be the best way to proceed.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2018 at 9:49am
Yes, Joe is correct that there are holes between the exhaust and water cavities in the elbows. That's where the water enters the exhaust. Pressure test the manifolds before fighting with getting the elbows off.

BTW, having the manifolds exposed would not cause the erosion but if, they were ever run without cooling water, it doesn't take long for the hot exhaust gases to trash aluminum manifolds.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2018 at 11:19pm
These holes are not part of the design. This is the worst of the two manifolds but they both need new elbows. This one had some water in it when I pulled it off the motor. Shame too - they polished up real nice. Swim platform came out nice at least.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2018 at 7:34am
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

These holes are not part of the design.

Chris,
It's hard to tell from the pictures but to me the holes look like the water inlets to the exhaust cavities. Keep in mind the holes would be rough and not machined.since the elbows are sand cast.

As mentioned, do presssure test the actual manifolds.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 8:28pm
I plan to pressure test the manifolds - but I believe this requires removing the elbow and making a block-off plate. Am I correct?

Here's some better photos - unfortunately it's tough to get light inside the manifold and simultaneously get the camera to focus on the right spot. I think the water pass through is the open collar in the foreground. The large corroded holes slightly further in look like rot to me.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

I plan to pressure test the manifolds - but I believe this requires removing the elbow and making a block-off plate. Am I correct?

No, on the Commander's, the water jacket isn't connected between the manifold and elbows. That's why there's a cooling water hose feeding the elbow.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2018 at 9:31pm
Great, that makes it easier
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2020 at 8:10pm
Made time to work on these manifolds today. Pressure test at 25psi showed them leaking only from the log to elbow gasket, so I moved forward with disassembly. Quite a few of the studs broke and separating them required a lot of small increment work with a hammer and chisel. The studs are steel and the manifolds are alu so there was galvanic corrosion on the hardware.

The logs look fine inside. The elbows have these giant holes on the inside of the water jacket. One of them had been taken apart in the past and it looks like someone laid a screen material over the hole, which then blew out.

I'm not sure what caused these holes, though it looks like corrosion. Any suggestions on how to move forward? They have a "241-" part number stamped on them.

zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2020 at 8:23pm
Looks like I've answered my own question. Hardin Marine sells new Glenwood elbows. They're a match. Now I just need to decide whether I want to spend $350 in parts to fix these. Plus the likely broken studs when I pull off my stock manifolds....

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-13331-22-degree-elbow-aluminum-satin-finish.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic