NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mayonnaise at the end of the season

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2019 at 1:24am
I was in a Cam Grinding shop and they were using the Cold Weld process to weld up the bearing surfaces on Hollow Camshafts like you find in the Ford 4.6L and 5.4L.
I should explain these cams are lower cost to manufacture, they take a hollow tube and insert all the cam lobes into the correct positions at the factory and then blow a Steel ball bearing through the tube. As the ball bearing passes down the tube it expands the hollow shaft locking the cam lobes and bearing surfaces in place.   Believe it or not the process has been working since the late 90's.   They are lighter and cost less than a traditional cast iron cam shaft.
The hollow shaft is pretty hard to work with but this process allows them to oversize the bearing surfaces with the cold weld and then grind it on the cam grinder to size.
Allows them to oversize bore the overhead cam Heads to save the heads with bore damage.
If a cam journal is damaged in the overhead valve heads which are aluminum it is hard to repair so before this process new heads were purchased.   The air flow was very high speed and very noisy to witness but it worked very well. They welded all the journals in about 1 minute and handed me the camshaft. It was warm but not hot.
I think the process will open the door to many more repairs that previously could not be attempted.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2019 at 10:52am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I was in a Cam Grinding shop and they were using the Cold Weld process to weld up the bearing surfaces on Hollow Camshafts like you find in the Ford 4.6L and 5.4L.
I should explain these cams are lower cost to manufacture, they take a hollow tube and insert all the cam lobes into the correct positions at the factory and then blow a Steel ball bearing through the tube. As the ball bearing passes down the tube it expands the hollow shaft locking the cam lobes and bearing surfaces in place.   Believe it or not the process has been working since the late 90's.   They are lighter and cost less than a traditional cast iron cam shaft.
The hollow shaft is pretty hard to work with but this process allows them to oversize the bearing surfaces with the cold weld and then grind it on the cam grinder to size.
Allows them to oversize bore the overhead cam Heads to save the heads with bore damage.
If a cam journal is damaged in the overhead valve heads which are aluminum it is hard to repair so before this process new heads were purchased.   The air flow was very high speed and very noisy to witness but it worked very well. They welded all the journals in about 1 minute and handed me the camshaft. It was warm but not hot.
I think the process will open the door to many more repairs that previously could not be attempted.

We would call that Spray Welding, often the only option to rebuild the older RH cams if they are excessively worn - pretty sure the one in Reidp's 413 that lives in my boat was resprayed and then reground. I haven't seen anyone using that technique on cast iron manifolds personally but don't see any reason why it couldn't work
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2019 at 12:41pm
We spray welding all the time in our business. Parts we sell are so expensive and often times unavailable. Lots of guys used it on larger engine blocks if the deck height is below specification. They need a solutions when Cat decides to not stock a part and a 300,000 dollar machine is down because of a 2500 dollar part.

Would be an interesting test to have one of our vendors re spray a stock cam and re grind.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 6:11pm
Update:

Pressure tested the exhaust manifolds with the new gaskets. No leaks!
Engine rebuild coming to an end.
All parts refitted and torqued to factory specs (the techincal manuals I downloaded and printed from the reference section here came in handy! But had to convert all the ft lbs numbers to newton meters we use here in Europe ).

My old pushrods and rockers (who are in perfect condition) all fitted perfectly in the new GT40P heads. We turned the motor by hand several times to check and re-check.
We gave several parts a fresh coat of paint (intake manifold, heads, exhaust manifolds, coil,...) so the motor looks a little nicer

Next on the menu: drain the remaining oil. Put new oil in. Start her up and adjust timing with the timing lamp... Let her spin for a while. Then drain oil again and put fresh oil in again...

And when all is well and running fine, this little upgrade will be fitted also:

And a friend of my friend offered to make a stainless steel Y-pipe for a sweet price, so I can get rid of that butt ugly invertaflo muffler

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 6:14pm
BTW, guru's...

Are the timing specs mentionned in the technical manual accurate? Or is it different due to the new GT40P heads?
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 10:07pm
You want 10 degrees before top dead center for your ignition timing.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2019 at 9:19am
Thanks for the info JQ

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2019 at 10:44am
Everything is looking great Kristof!   And just in time for the first spring run
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2019 at 4:15am

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2019 at 2:50pm
Glad you got it fired up. Nice Work.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2019 at 7:15am
So....

Last week after getting back from Paris with my lovely wife, we decided to get the boat in the water for a test run...
After letting the motor slowly warm up, looking at all the gauges on the dash with an eagle eye, listening to the engine making beautiful music with no strange sounds whatsoever, I "dropped the hammer" a few short times to see how she reacts...

It's a beast! It's like a whole new boat...
She shoots out of the hole like a maniac and climbs in the revs in no time.
No WOT yet, because I want to let everything set in a few more normal runs.

I used to be able to pull 10 skiers on my showteam with the previous setup, but now I am pretty much convinced I can pull the required 12 people for our 4 tier pyramid... We will see how that goes this coming season.

Meanwhile weather has gone worse so I will have to wait untill it improves again to run her some more on the water.
And after a few more runs, we will start the conversion to electronic ignition...

Thanks again to Joe (gt40KS) for making this possible!
And thanks for all the help and info from others on this wonderful forum!

Now... Let the season begin!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2019 at 11:18am
Confirmed no mayonnaise after the test run? I’d be keeping a constant eye on it to confirm you fixed the root cause.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2019 at 2:09pm
Good to know everything is back together and you are getting the performance you had wanted!   Sounds like you're going to have a blast this summer with all that newly acquired horses    
As Benj says, keep an eye on that oil for a few more outings, but if you've run it for a while already and there's no sign of issues, I'd say your chances are good everything is OK.
Have a great season ....   and let's see some pictures !!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2019 at 9:53am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Confirmed no mayonnaise after the test run? I’d be keeping a constant eye on it to confirm you fixed the root cause.

No mayonnaise anymore, just nice clear oil. Checked the dipstick multiple times during the test run (shut down a few times)…

Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

As Benj says, keep an eye on that oil for a few more outings, but if you've run it for a while already and there's no sign of issues, I'd say your chances are good everything is OK

I sure will check and re-check quite a few times, before I myself am convinced everything is running as it should...

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2019 at 8:33am
Update:

Engine is doing great. No leaks anywhere and oil is still nice and clear..
The wife and I made a long ride on the boat last wednesday, letting it warm up easliy and checking everything from time to time and using a variety of throttle inputs.

Then I decided to see what she does at WOT...
Well... She shoots out of the hole like a jaguar running for it's prey and climbs in the RPM's like it's nothing...

WOT is 4900 RPM and 76 Km/h (47,22 mph)

Kinda happy...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2019 at 8:47am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2019 at 11:00am
Congratulations! I just love a rebuild that starts, runs and performs as planned/advertised.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2019 at 3:28pm
NICE!!!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2019 at 4:37pm
Awesome Kristof - always good when a plan comes together!!   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2019 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I just love a rebuild that starts, runs and performs as planned/advertised. JQ

I too am impressed since all they are used to working on over in Belgium are dinky engines with turbos on them!   

Kristof,
Again, great job.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2019 at 7:22pm
And Diesel Fuel!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2019 at 5:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I too am impressed since all they are used to working on over in Belgium are dinky engines with turbos on them!   

Still, you would be surprised how atmospheric V8 engines are quite popular over here.
Problem is that with all these ignorant climate idiots, you won't be able to drive them anymore with their "Low Emission Zones"...

And I love the torque of my six-cylinder-turbo-charged-two-point-five-liter-BMW-diesel-engine   

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic