Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Remnants of a shift knob?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remnants of a shift knob?
    Posted: December-17-2018 at 7:44pm
My boat's current shift knob is interesting. It is a male threaded knob that is aftermarket. I ordered a plain wood shifter knob with a parts order a summer ago and was immediately confused when I tried to replace the knob.

It dawned on me today that what I am looking at is the aluminum insert of the old shift knob? I have looked thru a bunch of old posts. All the shift knobs I have seen on these controls look like a normal female threaded shifter knob. This would explain why only this remnant part of the lever is corroding in that manner.

Before I tried to file flats on the base, I would appreciate some expert advice.
Currently my boat's shift knob threads into these threads.

I now think I can remove the corroded threaded insert and I will have a normal lever with the standard male threads on the end. This piece has acted as a threaded union for who knows how long on this boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2018 at 9:50pm
Well. I guess I have at least a thread to start with...
:)

I knew I should have started with the chisel.....
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2018 at 1:05am
That's odd. What brand is that throttle mechanism? What model and year is this on?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2018 at 10:43pm
All I have looked at were Morse Controls but yours does look odd.

Is there enough stock to run a Die down and cut new threads? It looks like part of your handle broke off inside your old shift nob?
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 12:45pm
Looks like he has a Morse MV1, the shift handle has been painted black.

Old school goin back to school!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 12:26am
I was able to cut 4.5 turns of threads in. I had to use a file to reduce the diameter of the shaft. I blew up the top threads by not using the file first. This will work for awhile.
1987 sn2001.
Should this boat have the mv2 in it?

Sorry for the flip. I tired several time to get it right, left handers...

Thanks for confirming the handle should be chrome.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 7:20am
Originally posted by outerbanked outerbanked wrote:

What year is the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by outerbanked outerbanked wrote:

1987 sn2001.

We'll just assume that he edited his post and added the year and model after you asked your question Pete
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 10:25am
Mv1 with that housing through 87. They switched housings in 88 but the collar didn’t arrive until 89. Not sure if both are considered the mv2 (the internals are the same either way).
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2018 at 3:49am
When I had my 78 Nautique one of my friends would twist on the shift knob while driving.
I did not figure it out till he had stripped it.   I think it was just a nervous twitch but he certainly stripped my knob.   It was summer and I wanted to use the boat. I put that stripped knob back on with JB Weld.   It was never loose again over the next 10 years I owned that boat. I forgot about it until you had this issue.   Add some JB Weld and forget about it.   Merry Christmas.
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic