NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2019 New Years Day Barefoot Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 New Years Day Barefoot Challenge
    Posted: December-25-2018 at 5:39pm
Jay Bear made the 2019 advertising photo:

SKIING
The Lake Norman New Years Day Barefoot Challenge is one of the longest running and unique barefoot tournaments in the world. Held annually at Lake Norman Marina and hosted by the Carolina Show Ski Team, it combines starts, tricks, and endurance skills in one single ride.
‘Footers come from around the country to brave air temperatures usually in the mid to high 40’s and water temperatures in the high 50s. Water conditions are challenging, because the towboat doesn’t wait for the water to calm between skiers. The circle pattern keeps the action close to the spectators, but also adds to the difficulty
Registration is open at https://www.carolinashowski.org/new-years-day-barefoot-challenge/ for those that want to sign up.
Spectators! Free! Grab your hats, gloves and jackets or maybe this year shorts! (hopefully its warmer) and watch our brave participants up close as they barefoot their way to victory!
Concessions will be available!
Would you like to sponsor or want to setup a vendor booth? Reach out to us directly to find out more information!

John did ski very well last year in what I believe I remember correctly too be his first year in the event. I will be in attendance this year, but just as a spectator. I always enjoy attending this event. Great way to usher in the new year.

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 8:54am
This year the tournament tow boat will be supplied by John Cornish of Lake Murray SC. The boat will be the same boat that pulled the worlds barefoot tournament in CA last August.
This years event will also feature Keith St Onge who will be trying to set the a new event record.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 9:45am
It sounds like that would be a Ford powered Sanger
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

It sounds like that would be a Ford powered Sanger

I might be wrong, but I believe it is an older Sanger with a transplanted Chevy 409. At least John pulled the show with one for several years, several years ago. Maybe he has a newer Sanger now. That older one was Bad Ass.
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 10:55am
I guess it depends on whether he meant the same boat or the same brand but older boat

In the link you'll see what they used in the last championships

link

Either way it's a Sanger doing the towing it seems
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 3:09pm
This is (was) a new Sanger earlier this year.

Previously Ron Meeks offered up his DXII with a 409 and as Donald said it was something special.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2019 at 10:44am

NYD Tourney was great. CCF was represented by Greg, associate member Brett Berry, Me, and Donald and Natalie in the stands.

Greg and I had less then stellar performances, but doesnt really matter. Always a good time. Keith St. Onge made an appearance. He had a tough act to follow after Rachel Normand did 3+ laps backwards and Keith ate it just after one lap. He redeemed himself with his secend run, blowing up the record book. Crazy warm day, people were in t-shirts, but water was still mighty chilly. Downside was the warm weather brought out a bunch of yahoo tooners and bass boats that raised havoc with the course. The aforementioned Sanger is a beautiful boat, but I gotta say, I wasnt impressed with the table. Was like skiing down a gravel road. Greg's 85 BFN is far superior.

Here is KSO's second run

I think the old record was 800 and something. Keith did 1102 points.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2019 at 10:58am
Very nice!
Js
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2019 at 11:26pm
Is there a trick to getting the pictures to download? I see empty boxes with a lock in the top left corner.
Sounds like a very fun time.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2019 at 11:44pm
That’s awesome! Nice work and thanks for the share.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2019 at 12:28am
Larry's video blows away all of the photo's that I took. Nice Job Larry.

That Barefoot Sanger had an In mar 440 Magnum Rapture Motor in it. It sounded mean !!!!!! The layout was very simple and the gauges where large and basic. I liked it.

Audio Dude, Frank, and Sue Fossett from Correct Craft Fan where also at the event. CCFAN had at least eight in attendance at the event.

You gotta love this global warming. Many were in shorts and tee shirts.
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2019 at 1:10pm
     Great video Larry...as usual from you!! Like you, Brett felt the Sanger was a much rougher ride inside the wake but that it had little or no drop off on the edges. Thought it would be superior for wake crosses but otherwise would prefer a Barefooter. Like Donald said.....good looking boat with a very aggressive sound to her!!
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2019 at 1:40pm
Brett turned in an impressive performance. Between the driver delivering very hot dock starts, the rough table and rough water, the first several skiers didnt make it to the first turn. Brett was the first to complete a lap, plus he threw in a tumbleturn on the far straightaway. As the fifth skier, he finally busted the tourney open.

Not complaining about the driving, but the starts were hot. My timing was a little off and I pretty much got yanked off the dock. Hard to believe, but I actually recovered from this hot mess of a start and got planing on my butt.

Brett said he was surprised I actually managed to pull it out. He said it looked like I hit the water pretty much curled up in a ball. We both laughed later when another guy hit the water wrapped up in a ball. He too managed to pull it out.

As far as the table, look at my short second run in the video. Greg pointed out how my outside leg was chattering like crazy. All my weight was on my inside leg as I was trying to stay inside the wake on the tight turns. May not have been the best strategery.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2019 at 2:01pm
Who was calling the starts? What length rope had this “rough table”?

Seems unlikely the boat wasn’t set up properly...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2019 at 2:25pm
Typically, at least in my world, boat medium to fastish idles away from dock. Skier watches the rope and yells "hit it" at his discretion.

In this case, the driver fastish to crazy fast pulled away from the dock. Skier jumps in at his discretion and when he hits the water, the driver throttled up. Caught the first few skiers off guard.

Skiers had choice of 75 or 100, low pull, tower pull or super fly-hi pull.. I opted for 100 ft, Wasnt fussy about height of pull, just took it where it was, which I think was SFH in both cases.

I'm sure the boat was set up fine, but we didnt have the luxury of tuning our own set ups, plus constant hard left rudder probably isnt the best representation of table conditions. It was nice to hear Bill say that Brett agreed with my assessment and that I wasnt the only one that felt that way. Couldnt have been too awful I guess as some of the skiers did multiple laps inside. I know Sangers are the go-to footing boats, but like I said, probably not the best conditions to judge. I'm guessing you've been behind Brad's and may have a different opinion. Also, if this boat pulled the worlds, I am guessing it is probably pretty much state of the art.

I think KSO and Rachel both did their runs outside the wake on the inside of the turn.
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2019 at 12:11pm
     Watching both Larry's and Greg"s 2nd runs the speed looks fast to me although the rougher table probably accounts for much of that. Brett said the starts were HOT all day but the four ahead of him were extremely hot....he said he requested FIRM,,,but told the driver back off a little from those previous...once in the water then whatever. Brett thought that Rachael Norman got a little nervous watching the in-consistent starts and opted for the back deep rather than the back flyer she did last year. Three laps backwards by her and new record by KSO says the driving had to pretty good....although I guess that's why they are multiple time World Champs!!
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 4:24pm
Just pulled open a drawer and saw this newspaper article on the event that I had forgotten I stuck in there. Upon closer look, compared to when I first looked at it several weeks ago, I realized they caught me in a great action shot.....that's me on the left of the audience picture with my video camera.   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic