Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hypereutectic vs. Forged Pistons?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mike Parmley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Parmley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypereutectic vs. Forged Pistons?
    Posted: December-28-2018 at 11:50am
So after 1500+ hours and a dead hole I pulled the 351 in my 1987 Martinique this fall. I am at the point I need to pick the rebuild kit and want some advice on hypereutectic vs. forged pistons.   I see pros and cons of each, but wanted some different viewpoints or testimonials.

My recipe so far:

351 Original block
GT40P heads
Edelbrock 2181 Intake
Cam Research 112016 cam
Holley 82670 (670 CFM) 4bbl
Davis Unified Ignition Electric Ignition

All thoughts and advice appreciated.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2018 at 1:08pm
I'm not going to weigh in on the piston question...but you may want to look at the QuickFuel M-600 or M-650 carbs. The QF line is like a "Holley on steroids".

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2018 at 2:46pm
Hyper will be fine as long as you aren't running on the ragged edge of compression. The material is more brittle than forged or even cast pistons. Detonation is usually the fear on these but I have ran Keith Black Silv-o-lite pistons in my car for nearly 15 years.

That thing has probably north of 200 passes on it not to mention all the unofficial beating. It is around 11:1 compression and detonates like crazy on pump gas during hot weather. No issues ever with the piston material.

You'll want to pay special attention to your compression calculations since you are changing design and combustion chambers. Probably shoot for slightly less than 10:1.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2018 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Mike Parmley Mike Parmley wrote:

So after 1500+ hours and a dead hole I pulled the 351 in my 1987 Martinique this fall. I am at the point I need to pick the rebuild kit and want some advice on hypereutectic vs. forged pistons.   I see pros and cons of each, but wanted some different viewpoints or testimonials.

My recipe so far:

351 Original block
GT40P heads
Edelbrock 2181 Intake
Cam Research 112016 cam
Holley 82670 (670 CFM) 4bbl
Davis Unified Ignition Electric Ignition

All thoughts and advice appreciated.

What's a Cam Research 112016 cam? or what are it's specs?

I don't know so I figured I'd ask Google and she didn't know either
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2018 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I'm not going to weigh in on the piston question...but you may want to look at the QuickFuel M-600 or M-650 carbs. The QF line is like a "Holley on steroids".

JQ

You should just change your name to Jonny QuickFuel
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2018 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

What's a Cam Research 112016 cam? or what are it's specs?

I don't know so I figured I'd ask Google and she didn't know either

Mrs.. Google didn't give me any ideas ether. I was actually curious as to what rotation the cam is for.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2018 at 10:32pm
Cam Research seems to be like that- I had to call them to find out what a 11283K is. He was not too talkative,I'm guessing because I wasn't buying anything. That would be solved by posting their spec's. He say's they are all custom grinds.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2018 at 2:09am
Seems like a basic build do you really need special pistons?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2018 at 5:19am
Most Factory engines today that are less than 500 Horse Power are Hypereutectic.
They are very strong but as mentioned they can be brittle on failure.
Drop a valve or bolt on one in a running engine and they will shatter.
If you are over 500 HP or wish to rev over 6,500 RPM I would jump to Forged Pistons.
One other consideration.   If you are building a very high dollar block, maybe for a number matching 67 Corvette go with forged. The forged have some forgiveness in failure that might save that high dollar block from being destroyed.
If a Hyper piston breaks and shatters into pieces the small end of the connecting rod with a piston pin still in it will punch holes in the cylinder walls destroying that number match engine.   
With that said, most OEM engines including Mercury marine, 383 GM engines are sold with Hypereutectic pistons in them, they are very good.
I know Sealed Power tested all the Hypereutectic Performance pistons they manufactured with gasoline, blowers and then with Nitros to see where they would fail.
They did not fail, one big block Chevy ran over 1,000 HP multiple times without failure.
The final test done was to introduce detonation by advancing the timing.   Heavy Detonation finally broke the piston.
Small block Chevy's were tested well over 700 HP on Nitros and up to 6,800 RPM and did not fail.
I still have copies of the dyno testing.
OEM Ford Hypereutectic pistons had to pass the Ford Wide Open Throttle test.   Ford wanted a 300 Hour verified test done with the engine running at it's max Horsepower RPM fully loaded on the Dyno.   Sealed Power did these tests to get Ford contracts.
This data is from testing done in the mid 90's when these Hyper pistons were pretty new.   I can say they were tested very seriously and the quality pretty much eliminated other piston types at the OE level back then.   Some of today's extreme engines are making much higher HP and exceeding 7,000 RPM red lines and use Forged Pistons.
The New Ford Eco Boost Turbo Charged engines are using Hypereutectic pistons made by Federal Mogul/Sealed Power in South Bend Indiana.   The 3.5L ecoboost makes 450 HP with 500 lbs of torque with a V6 and twin turbo's..   
I'm building a small block 400 chevy now with hypereutectics, it will be right at 10:1 compression and make about 440 HP at just under 6,000 RPM and have 500 foot pounds of torque. I am very comfortable with that hyper combo.
Hope this helps.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2018 at 10:05am
I figure that if you look at your shopping list, you can come up with 2 or more choices for everything on it, depending on peoples opinions.

You mention GT40P heads, somebody will suggest aftermarket steel or aluminum heads

The Edelbrock performer will lead to others suggesting a Weiand Stealth or a variety of other manifolds.

Same with the cam, just make sure it's right for your engine's direction of rotation.

Then comes your Holley carburetor and Jonny has already mentioned his favorite carburetor as an alternate.

Same with distributors , somebody will suggest their favorite brand

And with the pistons the question has already come up about why you need anything special. You could use stock replacement cast pistons, some of those Hi-per-you-tek-tik cast pistons or forged pistons.

Is it safe to assume you did some searching here on CCF and saw what others did on their rebuilds?

You haven't mentioned compression ratio ( but you're getting suggestions), what power you're looking for, what octane gas you want to use , what the budget is etc.

What caused the old engine to become a V7?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2018 at 12:23pm

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

JQ

You should just change your name to Jonny QuickFuel

What do you think the "JQ" stands for?
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Parmley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2018 at 1:49am
Sorry for the delay guys but been traveling the last day and half. I’m going to reply here to most of the questions above:

The recipie so far was based on everyone’s suggestions on the forum so far.

Based on the rebuild kits we sourced we had the option of forged and hyper. Probably going to go with the hyper as the more opinions I get the forged is overkill.

The cam is a RR and is cut for torque, power and hole shot. I’ll have to get the specific #s on it as I do t currently have them with me.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2018 at 9:55am
It sounds to me like you did your research.

You say the cam is for reverse rotation from Cam research so you should be good to go.

I don't know if you bought parts yet but gt40KS and you are both in or near Wichita and he's been trying to sell a pair of fresh GT40P heads for a while. They may be on their way to England,based on a recent post but it'd probably be worth checking with him. Might save you some money

Whatever you do, don't take any advice on color schemes from Joe when it comes to painting your engine or anything attached to it   

he'd probably have a good machine shop recommendation though.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2018 at 10:34am

Whatever you do, don't take any advice on color schemes from Joe when it comes to painting your engine or anything attached to it   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Parmley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2018 at 2:13pm
So someone earlier asked about the dead hole. It never had any inclination of malfunction other than not registering on pressure test and lack of power. When pulled apart we found about 1/3 of #4 piston was chewed up pretty bad around top edge. Rings and everything were in place and a lot of carbon buildup but otherwise fine. The cylinder itself did not reflect the corresponding damage. Overall I think between the damage to the piston and worn rings there was a lot of blow by..

Don’t worry on the paint scheme we are going back with silver and black.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2018 at 4:40pm
Certain people give Joe a hard time on his motor colors. I think he's done a fine job matching the boat.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2018 at 11:34pm
need a like button on here!
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 9:04am
Maybe the owner of that boat worked at a bowling shoe factory?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 10:28am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Maybe the owner of that boat worked at a bowling shoe factory?

Excellent point Chris.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2019 at 1:20pm
From our friends at Wikipedia:

Aftermarket performance pistons made from the most common 4032 and 2618 alloys are typically forged. Compared to both 4032 and 2618 alloy forged pistons, hypereutectic pistons are significantly less strong. Therefore, for performance applications using boost, nitrous oxide, and/or high RPMs, forged pistons (made from either alloy) are preferred. However, hypereutectic pistons experience less thermal expansion than even forged pistons made from low expansion 4032 alloy. For this reason, hypereutectic pistons can run a tighter piston to cylinder clearance than forged pistons. This makes hypereutectic pistons a better choice for stock engines, where longevity is more important than ultimate performance.

+1 for hypereutectic pistons

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2019 at 7:00pm
Here’s the deal, I built a 482 caddy motor for my drag car, used KB hypers, opened ring gap up a little for heat, rods are good for 6500, makes great power( 515 hp, 676 ft lbs torque) heck my cc 351 struggles to get to 150 degrees, so, unless your going to spray, stay with hypers, spend the saved money on something else.
Mike Bryan
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2019 at 11:10pm
Opening the ring gap is unique to Keith Black pistons. They run the top ring closer to the chamber so they need larger top ring gaps. They are the only manufacturer to do this.
Sealed Power pistons, Forged, Hypereutectic or Cast Aluminum all use the same factory ring gaps with no issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic