Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley j tube question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley j tube question
    Posted: January-07-2019 at 12:07pm
I never paid much attention to jtube construction but I got to wondering why there is a square hole in the inside radius of the tube. I did a search here and elsewhere and came up with no answers.
Thanks for any help

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 8:18pm
kinda like the serial numbers on a condom.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 10:50pm
My guess would be that if that hole wasn’t there the speed of the air flowing through the carb throats would create a vacuum and drain the fuel out of the bowel via that J tube
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 8:14am
My guess would be that Gary's guess is right.

If you're familiar with jet pumps, eductors, air ejectors and how they work , it's the same principle.

High velocity air passing by that tube end and going through the venturis would create a low pressure in the fuel bowl.

The hole negates this effect.

It would be like trying to suck water thru a straw with a hole in the side that allowed air into it.

In a 600 cfm carburetor, let's say you have 300 cfm of air going by the end of each tube, That would be quite a suction on the tube and the bowl if the hole wasn't there.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 12:43pm
But the bottom of that tube is not submerged unless in a flooded condition. But I agree the negative pressure would (could) do odd things to the fuel level which is fed at what ~4psi?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 1:17pm
But the tube doesn't need to be submerged to affect the pressure in the bowl which will in turn affect fuel flow thru all of the metering systems as bowl pressure is lowered.

With enough vacuum the tube will suck some small amount of fuel through it even if it isn't submerged

I think we agree, the hole negates these issues.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2019 at 1:47pm
Thats what I said, but you said it better
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 2:55pm
Thanks for the info, the hole makes sense to me now
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic