NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 Super Air Nautique Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Brit_hunsicker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001 Super Air Nautique Project
    Posted: January-10-2019 at 1:12am
I bought this boat in Spring of 2015. This thread is what I have done so far and continue/plan to do in the future.

This is the day I bought the boat. Picked it up in Plattsmouth Nebraska. Boat was from Kansas it’s whole life as far as I understood and the owner had just recently taken it to his parents lake house in Nebraska. Now I was bringing it back home to Kansas.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 1:18am
Okay...now that I’ve made my first post and figured out how to upload a picture, it’s time to get down to business.

I used the boat as is for the first summer. The work began in November of 2015.

The first project to tackle with this boat was the trailer. It was god awful and we even joked that it may have been a stolen trailer because we couldn’t explain why someone would rattle can this trailer black

Old surge brakes

New electric brakes

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 1:35am
Here is the contraption I made for bending my new bunks

Freshly sandblasted

Pays to have friends that can help on a budget project

Getting ready to hit it with some love

Boiling up some water to help soften the new bunks

Paddling back to the boat ramp since I winterized the boat on the lift. Wasn’t really feeling a re-winterization...

If I recall correctly, I think I made a bet I could get from the lift to the ramp (roughly 200 yds) in 5 minutes. Let’s just say I lost that bet but was happy to make it there at all!

Pleased with how the colors matched! Not bad for matching the paint with a sample on the boat lift during a storm with a flashlight!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 6:15am
Very nice! This thread should go into the FAQ's.

Kevin,
How about adding a link into one of your FAQ posts?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 9:36am
Nice work!
Js
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 9:59am
Impressive work on the trailer...looks great! Once the boards were in the pvc did you bend the entire contraption or was it just for soaking in boiling water? How long did you soak and or bend in there?
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kevin,

We all know what FAQ stands for, right?

Love the red!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 11:37am
Nice job. Nice set up, Makes it look easy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Kevin,

We all know what FAQ stands for, right?

Tim,
Thanks for bringing up the meaning of "FAQ". I just PM'd Kevin and asked him to remove some of his links in the FAQ thread. Looking through the tread, I roughly estimate around 55% of his linked threads are not actually questions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 2:20pm
Nice work. Your red on red and Chris Mars Blue on Blue both have Nebraska ties. Makes me wonder if they both were sold/ordered from what once was Competitive Edge Marine in Council Bluffs.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 3:05pm
Looks great!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 3:43pm
I would like to buy a "T" please!!

Colored decks are my favorite, reverse gel an added bonus. The only way to up the cool factor on that boat is for it to be Blue!!

Nice shop also BTW
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Impressive work on the trailer...looks great! Once the boards were in the pvc did you bend the entire contraption or was it just for soaking in boiling water? How long did you soak and or bend in there?

I just soaked these boards in the pvc for about 30 minutes. Bolted to the rear of the trailer first and then started working my way forward bending as I go. It worked really well, not sure how other people have tackled the project but I’d highly recommend this route.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:08pm
Thanks everyone for the compliments! I hope this thread is in the right section, as I’m still figuring this site out. I just looked at a few other similar threads and stuck this one in the same category. I have lots more progress to upload on this boat, remember we are still in Fall of 2015 at this point! Will upload more as I have time!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Brit_hunsicker Brit_hunsicker wrote:

Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

I just soaked these boards in the pvc for about 30 minutes. Bolted to the rear of the trailer first and then started working my way forward bending as I go. It worked really well, not sure how other people have tackled the project but I’d highly recommend this route.

If you find treated lumber that hasn't dried yet, it can be bent as is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 5:43pm
Team Red.. Looks great !!!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 6:28pm
Now the boat project starts.

A good portion of the interior is getting new skins including most of the seat bottoms and the 3 back hatches.

Pretty dirty in some of the hard to reach places. Not sure if the interior had ever been removed!

Pulling out all of the old stereo system, including (2) 12” subwoofers. This one came from under the passenger dash which blocked off the whole entire compartment.

Wanted to go Wetsound but also wanted to be able to put gas in my boat come spring time. Had to settle for something a bit less expensive!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 7:02pm
It’s amazing what hot water and a power washer will do.

Off with the windshield. Time for some tint.

New sub box will double as a step and a seat.

This was probably the point where I really started to question some of the life choices I had made.

Extra battery and both amps under the passenger dash with room to spare

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 7:10pm
This next batch of photos is still in chronological order with the resto. I threw the boat together just enough to get it out on the water for New Years Day 2016. Air Temp was about 38 and Water Temp was 34.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 8:01pm
All decals came off

Naked

Starting to put the interior back together

Wet sanding has begun

Above the rub rail is before. Below the rub rail is after wet sanding and first 2 stages of buffing. Still need the finishing polish.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 10:44pm
Handy having a painter helping you restore your boat. Endless knowledge and sometimes I’m lucky enough to get him on the end of a buffer!

Buffing is finished! Time for graphics and interior!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2019 at 11:20pm
Got the pinstriping done and moved to graphics next. I was told all my graphics will be identical, but don’t always believe what you’re told. I was told the same thing on my 98 Air Nautique and was let down then too. So you can see my issue was the driver side rear graphic. It is longer than the original graphic so it unfortunately overlapped the pinstriping and made it into the white. A little irritating but didn’t really have any choice. Luckily I was able to wet sand and buff any shadowing from the factory graphics.

This side turned out great!

Call me crazy but this is what I had to do in order to set these graphics by myself. Was a little skeptical, but it payed off!

Surprisingly I was able to match this graphic down to the gnats ass! Between this boat and the 98 Air Nautique I restored in 2014, this was the only “identical” graphic I bought that actually ended up being identical. Moral of the story, don’t count on your new graphic being the same as the old!

Interior is back in. Got all new seat bottoms, except for in the bow. Also did the 3 rear hatches. I ordered the skins from Christine’s Marine, being this was in 2016. I had a local seamstress remove the old skins and install the new.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2019 at 8:03am
Wow....just WOW! Fantastic job Brit. Welcome to CCFan, thanks for posting all the pics of the restore but most of all......Welcome to Team Red! She is absolutely a gorgeous boat. Well done sir!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 2:14am
Timeline is March 2016 at this point

Going in the water for the first time since being finished. Only thing that caught my attention was the V-Drive light in the dash that is supposed to go away once hitting 1200 rpm. Stayed on for quite some time. Water temp was approx 48 degrees and air temp was about 55. Let it idle for about 15 minutes and ran it up to about 20mph and light still stayed on. Let it idle longer while I looked on thru some threads to see if there was an easy way to test the sensor. No luck on finding that, but then I ran it around some more and it ended up turning off. Didn't have anymore issues with it the rest of the day. Just something I will keep my eye on in the future, and maybe get a backup sensor just in case. (Unfortunately the issue lies deeper...I soon found out).

"We gather here today to join these two in holy matrimony..." 😂 Just finishing the last piece to the puzzle, welding the surge hitch solid, no need with the electric brakes now!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 2:34am
Time now is April 2016

Just when you think all your hard work has finally paid off over the winter, you get a reality check. Come to find out, the V-Drive has a crack in it and the oil was milky rust. I'm just the genius who forgot to check the oil until I had the whole boat put back together and on the water twice. I think what happen is the cooling chamber froze in the V-Drive late in the year when I had the boat on a lift till early December when I was repainting the trailer.

These 2 photos were taken while I had everything tore apart over the winter but I blew it off as no big deal. I meant to check the oil before I put everything back together but it ended up slipping my mind. I really assumed I just needed a new cover and would have to call Walter to get that. Didn’t get quite that lucky.

These two photos were taken at 9 pm shortly after I had pulled the dipstick to see the lovely milky rust. You can see the top cover actually clean split once I loosened the 6 bolts.

At this point I was thinking, well I’ve torn this boat apart once, I bet I can do it in record time now.

First I have to siphon out all 39 gallons, since I so conveniently filled it up after my evening wakeboard run the day prior.

And finally at 12:30 in the morning I got it pulled out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 11:52am
Brit,
Did you rebuild the Walter or find a new or used one? Costs?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:26pm

Brit,
Did you rebuild the Walter or find a new or used one? Costs?

I will line all that out in my next post, but I sent it to Walter for a rebuild. I don’t remember the exact cost, but it was somewhere around $900.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:34pm
Pulled the bottom cover off the main case before I sent it off to Walter. Gears looked to be in good shape. No rust or scars. Now it's just a waiting game to see what Walter has to say. They did tell me that their turn around time is 7 to 10 business days from when they receive it...so that's not bad in my opinion. Good thing is that a week after I sent this to Walter I headed down to The Boarding School in Orlando for a week so the waiting game waasn’t so hard!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 12:44pm
Got the v-drive back in the boat about 3 weeks later. Walter replaced the cooling chamber and all the seals. I think a few other internal components but I’d have to dig up and look at my receipt.

On the lake for water testing. All is good!

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 1:27pm
Nicely done. Glad to have you in the CCF club. I especially enjoyed the trailer rebuild. It brought back memories....

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic