Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Fluid Change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Fluid Change
    Posted: January-12-2019 at 5:02pm
1999 SN probably needs a change of fluid...looking for suggestions on type and methods!

Otto
Otto
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 5:55pm
This has been covered a bunch of times. Most people use a little pump but be warned, A plastic tube can get caught in the gears. I put a hose on the cooler return fitting and let the transmission pump itself out. YMMV I would suggest a site search.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 10:09pm
Here are the search results for   "correctcraftfan PCM 1.23 to 1 transmission fluid change" courtesy of Google

It'll keep you reading for a little while

You'll even find stuff from other websites

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:07am
Thank you kind sir! I don't know if it has ever been changed!

Otto
Otto
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 10:37am
I use an old pump from a large head and shoulders shampoo bottle that I thoroughly cleaned. It fits into the dipstick tube and is the perfect length, it is a very sturdy tube too.

I pump the fluid into a yogurt or cottage cheese container, then funnel it to an empty oil container to get the correct amount that I take out, it is typically right at 2 quarts. The whole process takes less than 15 minutes and less than $15 for fluid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 4:53pm
That is fantastic! That gets the "Tim the Toolman Taylor Award!" i was going to do the same as far as pumping into a measurable container...but the other is GOLDEN. I assume you have to do it cold so the pump doesn't malfunction...Correct?

Thanks a lot!!!!!

Otto
Otto
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 4:57pm
That is what I used. Beauty supply store $2. IIRC, I put a pc of copper tube to go into tranny long enough that it couldn't be lost inside. (Press fit into the plastic tube on pump)

I think there is a small hole, 1/2 way down, that you need to go into to get near bottom of the case.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 5:11pm
The pump that from the head and shoulders bottle has the same length of tube as the dipstick, so it reaches the bottom without fear of losing anything into the transmission. If memory serves me right, I think it was about 130 +- pumps to a quart.

In fact, when inserted, there is just enough head space with the pump to get good pumping action without spilling or squirting onto anything except the secondary container.

Yes, I changed cold, it was the last task competed during winterization.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 2:33pm
I use lubrication syringe, with a clear plastic hose, you want to make sure you get to the bottom of the trans carter to make it to pump. You will know is in the right location if it actually pumps out liquid...
I did it last week and i pumped out almost 2 quarts...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 4:01pm
i drain into bilge and pump out over board into the lake
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

i drain into bilge and pump out over board into the lake

Steve,
You and Ross must be related!
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

dead batteries and dead fish

I want to know how bad battery maintenance kills fish!!

Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

I throw battery in lake.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 5:56pm
well in the day it was actually common practice on commercial off shore boats.   

Did it in need when taking a 58tc from st pete to Mobile bay.   one 1271 blew oil line and fried the engine.   Had leaking around a rudder post gland and it was not accessible due to cabinets that were built out of 3/4 ply that covered the access panels. (not my boat) . Left a pretty substantial slick that occurred every time pumps had to operate over the course of 36 hours of running.   or limping at 8kts.   
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2019 at 11:14am
Mityvac 7400 1.9 Gallon Fluid Evacuator, best one I have ever owned. I use it for everything, it goes on sale at west marine every now and then...but everywhere carries it. I promise you won't be disappointing, throw the drill sucker and others in the garbage.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic