Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Operating Temp and Auxillary Instrumentation 302
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Operating Temp and Auxillary Instrumentation 302

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Operating Temp and Auxillary Instrumentation 302
    Posted: January-14-2019 at 5:16pm
During my educational overhaul of the cooling system on my '76 PCM 302 last year, I replaced or repaired most of the parts. Most were near the end of life anyways. Put in a new engine water pump, rwp impeller, hoses, Tstat (160 deg. from Skidim). Eventually found the culprit to be seaweeds in the trans cooler. After all that happened I found that the only time I get up to operating temp is when I am at WOT for several minutes. Pulling skiers or cruising I don't usually get above 120-130. I have verified the TStat opens up at approx. 160. The engine and trans both have coolers inline before the RWP.

1. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I try a different Tstat? I could restrict flow after the RWP but I don't like the idea of that.

2. Thinking about putting in a bank of auxiliary gauges. Some redundant and some new. Would like to measure oil temp, voltage, and additional water temp measurement. I was thinking about pulling water temp at one of the block drains since I already have valves there and could put a tee and plumb it easily. Where would be the best place to get an oil temp reading? I was thinking after the cooler but the easiest install would be off a tee I already have installed at the oil pressure sender.

Right now I have the oil pressure sender and a mechanical gauge on a tee. The sender I got pegs out the gauge as soon as there is pressure so I use that and a glance under the cover at the gauge to confirm good oil pressure. I'm sure it just an improper matchup between sender and gauge.

Looking for input from the veterans.

Thanks
1976 Martinique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 6:25pm
Issue #1 could be an inaccurate gauge or other sender/gauge issue. I’d pick up a cheap IR thermometer to confirm. It’s a handy tool.
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 6:28pm
Did that already. Confirmed the gauge is reasonably accurate and the engine is running cold.
1976 Martinique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 6:36pm
It seems like you've had a cool running engine, then a hot running engine and cool again

What's changed since the threads linked below ?

link 1

another link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 6:40pm
A picture or 2 of the engine showing the cooling system from the front would be a good idea too
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 6:54pm
A lot has changed but looking back it appears I have gotten back to square one.   The boat ran cold when I got it, I messed with a bunch of stuff, and ended up missing the contamination in the heat exchanger.    Immediately upon cleaning it out it started running cold.   Is there a way to upload pictures from mobile on this forum?
1976 Martinique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by wiscofoot wiscofoot wrote:

The engine and trans both have coolers inline before the RWP.
Thanks

Do you know anything about the cooler for the engine? Did a PO add it? It's an oil cooler correct?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 7:57pm
If you want to upload mobile pictures, try the linked thread below. Read the stuff written by outerbanked starting about 2/3 of the way down page 1 on how he does it.

It means nothing to me, but it sounds good and probably works

link
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 8:43pm
Or photobucket... seems to be working again now with big watermarks
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 11:01am
Thanks guys. I've read into this before. My problem is I only have an iPhone and a work computer that has all photo backup websites blocked. In the future I will probably use photobucket off my phone..

Pete, no info on the install of oil cooler. It was my understanding that the 302 with 4 bbl of that era included an oil cooler from the factory. I'm planning on pulling the boat out of the barn after work. I'll take some pics but I think I will start installing my auxiliary senders and gauges tonight.
1976 Martinique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 11:39am
No (engine) oil coolers on any pcm’s I’ve ever seen that I can recall. Do you mean transmission cooler?

I wouldn’t expect an appreciable difference in engine operating temp with a cooler in the loop anyways... suspect something else is going on. No holes or anything drilled in the thermostat, are there?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 11:54am
Get in touch with vintage ski gear larry, 75 Tique, he has helped people like you get pics posted before.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

No (engine) oil coolers on any pcm’s I’ve ever seen that I can recall. Do you mean transmission cooler?

The engine and trans both have coolers inline before the RWP.
Thanks

I wouldn’t expect an appreciable difference in engine operating temp with a cooler in the loop anyways...

I wouldn't expect any appreciable engine temp differences ether. The reason I asked is maybe a PO has been messing with the cooling system. I hope some pictures will give us a clue.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 2:28pm

Thanks guys. I've read into this before. My problem is I only have an iPhone and a work computer that has all photo backup websites blocked. In the future I will probably use photobucket off my phone..

Pete, no info on the install of oil cooler. It was my understanding that the 302 with 4 bbl of that era included an oil cooler from the factory. I'm planning on pulling the boat out of the barn after work. I'll take some pics but I think I will start installing my auxiliary senders and gauges tonight.

Cole

If you were to send the pictures to the guy on the other end of this e mail address , he'd probably post them here for you

keno439@gmail'com

I suppose it's your choice on "auxiliary instruments" but I'd spend the money making sure the instruments you have now are good or replacing them. with new ones

Your idea of using a drain plug for temperature won't give a very representative temperature compared to the installed sender near the thermostat.

You'll find a pipe plug in the manifold pretty much directly across from the sender that would be the water coming from the cylinder head for the other bank and should be the same temperature water as the sender is seeing..

wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 4:38pm

No holes or anything drilled in the thermostat, are there?

No holes in the Tstat that is installed. I have seen recommendations for doing that on other forums and ones for sale marketed as "offroad/racing" that come with holes predrilled.

Link for TStat that's installed-

https://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP026002

Got frustrated trying to solve the overheating and decided to stop using autozone t stats, and shortly after installing it I found the weeds in the oil cooler.

Hopefully can get pics tonight but I am not going to be running the engine for at least 2 months so I will put this engine temp question on the back burner for now, maybe. I'm quite sure there is an oil cooler on the raw water suction that is NOT the trans cooler. I remember using a 24" piece of hose to connect it to RWP.

Curious why you guys think that an oil cooler wouldn't have a significant impact on engine temp.
1976 Martinique
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 6:01pm
FYI.   The engine oil cooler came on that motor as stock from PCM. They later found it was not needed and stop using them.
woodyelc
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

FYI.   The engine oil cooler came on that motor as stock from PCM. .

Woody,
Which engine is that?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 6:05pm
Look at the manuals in the reference section and that cooler was used in 74 and look at the other manual middle picture you will see the oil cooler.
woodyelc
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 6:08pm

Curious why you guys think that an oil cooler wouldn't have a significant impact on engine temp.

More water flows through the engine compared to oil. Also water jackets are located closer to the source of heat

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 6:11pm
The boats I’ve owned and driven with oil coolers added did not run appreciably different coolant temps. Obviously oil temps add lower.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 6:14pm

Look at the manuals in the reference section and that cooler was used in 74 and look at the other manual middle picture you will see the oil cooler.

Woody,
How about a link. I looked and I'm not finding the picture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Woody,
How about a link. I looked and I'm not finding the picture.

Pete

Your search skills are kinda crappy today

Here's a link to a Manual , see if you can find page 6 and read it and look at the pictures too

It says the cooler is for the 351's

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 7:10pm

Woody,
Which engine is that?

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Pete

Thanks Ken. I wasn't thinking Waukesha since Woody mentioned PCM.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 7:17pm

Let's assume that the oil cooler dropped engine temperature a bunch like you're thinking, then let's look at the function of the thermostat.

If the water coming from the engine was cooler due to the cooler oil, the thermostat would throttle itself in the closed direction to maintain temperature, not just sit there and let temperature go down, assuming your thermostat is working right and there's no bypass flow around it..

That heat from the oil would end up in the water passing thru it raising the inlet temperature to the engine too.

Why did you get a 160 degree thermostat instead of a 143?

Send pictures of the coolers, thermostat housing and manifolds   

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 7:22pm

Woody,
Which engine is that?

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Pete

Thanks Ken. I wasn't thinking Waukesha since Woody mentioned PCM.

I got that same manual with a 76 SN back in 77 and spent a fair amount of time trying to find the non existent engine oil cooler. The boat had a PCM with an older Waukesha manual.

I seem to think that was back in the "tight money days" for CC

I did see one with a cooler at the dealer way back then. It was around a 73 or 74 on a 351
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 7:39pm
I think Tim and Pete are wrong with a cooler not helping. I'll bet it over cools with the relatively cold marine coolant . Every 90's Police Package Windsor came with an engine oil cooler. I know for a fact all our '90's work Ford 250 5.8s came with an oil cooler. They were plumbed into the cooling system with an adapter that was sandwiched between the filter and block. Radiator coolant was run back to it so when the engine was warmed up the oil was cooled by 200+ water. If Ford didn't think they were needed why did they go thru the engineering work to put one in? Remember these are the guys who don't put drain plugs in differentials and transmissions to save .50 cents a car.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 7:44pm
Ken,
What do you think? I have a feeling phone company trucks and police cars had oil coolers because the drivers of them sat in the AC all day long on those hot days!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 8:02pm
The engine oil coolers are going to influence oil temps Gary... the relatively small ones we’re discussing won’t be noticeable in terms of steady state engine operating temps (cooling system). Maybe you’d notice a longer warm up time but I suspect not.

I’m not entirely speculating here...

The Waukesha/Pcm cooler is probably a tad smaller.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 8:09pm
In the 90's we didn't have GPS so we didn't need air. We drove back to the central office and hung out there. It was cool in the summer and warm in the winter Then around 01 we got GPS and soon after all the new Chevy's had air. Turns out they didn't do it for us but it cost them money to delete it. The GPS kept track of how long the truck ran and they would let you know weekly how long your truck was running.
I think I actually hold the unofficial record for the coldest temps and the least run times. Our boss used me as an example one week at around a half hour of idling time. I got alot of dirty looks from the rest of the crew because they knew what the boss didn't, I had an electric heater in the cab and ran the bucket generator all day It was actually better because I could lock up the truck and leave it as I worked and didn't have to worry about the keys being in it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 8:42pm
So it looks like we all agree that an oil cooler has no appreciable effect on engine coolant
temperature for a variety of reasons. (except Gary)

I also think that thermostats aren't a precision piece of equipment especially in an open cooling system like a raw water cooled engine has.

You can do a search on CCF or any boat website if you think that's not the case

And.............I also think that TRB's coolant temp sensor wire is bent at a weird angle and needs to be reoriented so it looks prettier and isn't stressed as much

And I also like his color choices
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic