NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM versus Sierra versus Sherwood

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM versus Sierra versus Sherwood
    Posted: January-17-2019 at 9:40am
Are impellers from these 3 companies different? Seems I've heard people bash Sierra impellers. I just came upon a box of parts I ordered in the fall which contained a number of impellers and they were not PCM.. They came form a well known PCM dealer. Should I have sent them back?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2019 at 9:57am
Bottom line Bruce is IMHO yes. If you are aware of the possible problems you could use them and be fine. Marty hauled OOP’s to the river run one year. Don’t know if he had changed the impeller before he had left home,I think he did, but he had overheating troubles. He spent the whole day troubleshooting it rather than enjoying the run. He changed new impellers from the same source numerous times thinking it cannot be them. Finally Art gave him a Genuine Sherwood and his trouble immediately went away. Imagine dragging you boat some distance to hang with your friends but instead working on the boat. The money saved by not buying oem was sure used up 10 fold. If you get a chance compare a Sherwood to anyone else’s impeller.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2019 at 9:58am
I have always used the Sherwood impellers with excellent results, so I can't comment on the others-I'm guessing the PCM engines that come with the sherwood pumps were complete assemblies-don't know about the front crank mounted pumps.
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2019 at 9:59am
PCM impellers are just re boxed/marked up Sherwood impellers. Look at the numbers near the hub (identical to out of the box Sherwood parts).

Sierra has had a sketchy past as far as quality goes but in the last few years they were bought up (among others) by the marine conglomerate SeaStar solutions. I would imagine their quality has gone up since then but who knows.

That said, I have seem some sketchy knock off impellers in my day. A few years ago I accidentally picked up one of these impellers for my dads GT-40. Thought i had a Sherwood in my cart but I didn't.Impeller. It is working like a top after its 3rd season.

I guess it just depends what you found?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2019 at 10:04am
Ok, Sherwood good, Sierra no good. I can't remember which these are. I'll have to check them out again this weekend. I know they're not PCM which is what I usually get.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2019 at 10:27am
Bruce,

Yes the Sierra impeller had flat surfaces on it. When compared to the PCM- the PCM impeller had a 1/16th raised ridge on the surfaces. Vanes, collar, etc.... This overall maybe 1/8th -from both sides helped to seal it. And guess what- from 2010- that same impeller is still in the Buick V-6 today.....
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2019 at 10:31am
Marty is on it. The tale tale sign of a good impeller are the raised rounded edges on the front and back. Without these you don't get proper seal on the pump housing and the pump plate.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2019 at 10:56am
If we could figure out the shipping thing we could get the PN guys to send us their last seasons impellers- we’d be set for life   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2019 at 11:29am
This

Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Bruce,

Yes the Sierra impeller had flat surfaces on it. When compared to the PCM- the PCM impeller had a 1/16th raised ridge on the surfaces. Vanes, collar, etc.... This overall maybe 1/8th -from both sides helped to seal it. And guess what- from 2010- that same impeller is still in the Buick V-6 today.....

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If we could figure out the shipping thing we could get the PN guys to send us their last seasons impellers- we’d be set for life   

hahahaha, I'd like to tell you I'd never taken a used impeller/ bilge pump / battery / other stuff from people whose replacement cycles are insane, but....
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 10:48am
Every time I tried something that was supposed to be just as good it never was. PCM in the shrink wrapped card display only.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

PCM impellers are just re boxed/marked up Sherwood impellers. Look at the numbers near the hub (identical to out of the box Sherwood parts).

This. Thought we had settled this a long time ago.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Every time I tried something that was supposed to be just as good it never was. PCM in the shrink wrapped card display only.
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

This. Thought we had settled this a long time ago.

Mike,
I think you should do some pricing and see what the mark up is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 11:27am
When I was at N3 I bought the Sherwood kits wholesale, market them up many more percent than PCM dealer percent, and still saved the customer money on the retail end.

PCM makes great parts but anything they just re box and mark up is silly.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 11:37am
Bruce,
Maybe you have seen the raised ribs on the ends of a good impellers but just in case you haven't, I found a good picture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 11:40am
Ribbed for Sherwood's pleasure.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bruce,
Maybe you have seen the raised ribs on the ends of a good impellers but just in case you haven't, I found a good picture.

And here is a picture of the Sierra equivalent for comparison

So what's that about ribs now?

Better come up with a different reason why it's not as good as the Sherwood impeller
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 1:14pm
I have a Walbro pump out of a 6.0 PCM. I pulled off the walbro numbers off that pump and called them. They could not find the spec’s of that pump or either could not give them to me. So they keep everything they can close.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 1:16pm

Ribbed for Sherwood's pleasure.

Mrs. Sherwood maybe or maybe it was ribbed for sure wood?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 1:16pm
Ken there looks to be no ribs out on each individual vane. This was Marty’s trouble. Would not have thought it true but I saw it first hand.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 3:31pm
I just checked my supply and I received Sherwood, not Sierra.

Does PCM have a network of dealers, or are they exclusively through Nautique now?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 3:51pm
You can go through many dealers. What the Correct Craft purchase has done is you now have to go through a dealer . Before you could go direct. I have heard at one time buying direct would save you up to 40%. Dealers I’m sure did not like that. A guy on the Shamrock site who I bought a gt40 off of told me that, he used to do side work on boats in NJ.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 4:04pm
A Nautique dealer only? SkiDim among others have been PCM dealers. Have non Nautique dealers been given the boot?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 4:31pm

You can go through many dealers. What the Correct Craft purchase has done is you now have to go through s dealer . Before you could go direct. I have heard at one time buying direct would save you up to 40%. Dealers I’m sure did not like that. A guy on the Shamrock site who I bought a gt40 off of told me that, he used to do side work on boats in NJ.

What's this I hear, new gt40 for the shamrock or are you just building up spares..   It is getting to be about the time of year where I could be convince to stop on down and hold your beer while you install an engine.

my experience with Sierra which admittedly is a bit dated but otherwise extensive is that you never knew what was going to come in that Sierra box ... they don't manufacture most of the 6000+ parts that they sell they source them and sometimes the sources change for the better and sometimes for the worse.   

Before the intertubes getting a part for an old obsolete bit o marine goodness in a reasonable amount of time usually involved it coming in a sierra bag or box or direct from a dealer. . Napa was also a factor but they sold sierra parts in addition to the napa labeled parts.    

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 4:46pm
No I use Marine Parts Express up by you in Maine. They have a nice web site and phone help as well. They will even drop ship direct from PCM. For example you type the PCM part number in their search RP080026, a FCC Filter, it shows retail 52.60 they sell for 48.93. Skidim is about 3 bucks cheaper though.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 5:08pm
[QUOTE=JoeinNY]

What's this I hear, new gt40 for the shamrock or are you just building up spares..   It is getting to be about the time of year where I could be convince to stop on down and hold your beer while you install an engine.

Far from new but new to me Joe,it needs a going through. You are more than welcome anytime. The story goes that someone with a Nautique in Texas scuffed a piston I was told. He started accumulating parts,new heads new injectors,new Cam Research cam etc- then found a take out gt40 and went that route instead. A Shamrock guy who lived in NJ bought it then moved to Jacksonville with it where I picked it up in November and hauled it back to Illinois, so it's got alot of miles It is a late model with the 300 tune. When I get home in the spring I'll start going through it and see what it needs. Only thing I have not found in the boxes is the knock sensor which isn't to bad considering as you know alot gets lost.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 6:10pm

Ken there looks to be no ribs out on each individual vane. This was Marty’s trouble. Would not have thought it true but I saw it first hand.

Here are some pictures
First one we'll call Brand X, it came with a generic major overhaul kit, looks just like a Sherwood except for the 12 little dots and it doesn't say Sherwood. It must be a good one since it has the other ribs you mention.

Here's what would be described as a bad one no ribs and you can see some slots in the rubber at the 9 and 3 position. They're on the front and the back of the impeller. It's a used one that's out for the winter and has been working fine for a lot of hours now. Go figure    I think this is a Sierra but not real sure.

I figure , like Joe said, luck of the draw.

I wonder what the chances are that the Sherwood impeller is made in the USA?

That raised ridge that Marty described as 1/16 of an inch on each side is nowhere near that on a genuine Sherwood impeller either.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 6:39pm
I have had 2 "New" non ribbed impellers just like that including slots not work in two different pumps.

Maybe a freshy fresh pump housing and plate don't care about the missing ribs. Who knows.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2019 at 6:46pm
Looking at the above [pictures especially the ribbed one, the ribs make the width of the vane the same as the width at the very end.

Or in other words the widest point is the very end of the vane at the outer edge which is thee same as the raised ribs. I measured this on a genuine Sherwood just to be sure

There is actually less rubber in the Sherwood impeller and the generic one pictured above.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic