NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
turboapache View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine rotation
    Posted: January-22-2019 at 8:42am
what parts are needed to change the rotation from standard to reverse rotation on a 351w?
there is no substitution for cubic inches.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 10:07am
Depends what year of engine you are working with.

If it is a 2 piece rear main seal you will need a completely different crankshaft.
You will need a proper distributor or a gear to swap onto your existing distributor.
You will need a different starter.
You will need a proper rear main seal if you are running a one piece rear main seal engine
You will need a new camshaft/lifters.
You will need to index the transmission pump the opposite direction if it is set up for std. rotation.
I believe the reverse rotation engines take a specific vibration damper as well

It's early I may have forgot something.

I would suggest just looking for a running take out if you can find one unless you are building a fresh engine anyways.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 10:28am
Zach, Would it be possible to just change out transmissions and let it reverse the prop shaft rotation???
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 10:41am
Turbo

I think I'm confused,

Here's a link to your thread from a year ago,

Seems like things are changing

link
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 11:17am
Harmonic balancer isn’t functionally different but the timing marks would need to be reversed if using anything other than 0deg/tdc. Index the rwp also if you’re converting a bobtail lefty to righty. Otherwise Z has the bases covered.

Short answer to Duane’s question is no... long answer is yes/maybe/sort of but not inexpensively. Ie, you can make a LH engine turn a RH Prop with either a Pcm 1.23 or ZF63, but those are $2k+ gearboxes, plus you’ll need a new shaft and propeller to match. And you’ll need to confirm the longer body (versus the velvet 1:1) fits in the hull.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 11:33am
Thanks TR.    On a side note: did the new clutch pack ever get tested??
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 11:53am
Slipped a bunch. Take 2 next year (maybe).
turboapache View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 6:18pm
Thanks to all. I guess I will keep the eng as is since everything is brand new inside. I will clock the trans correctly and get a left hand prop. Anyone have a spare left hand prop they would part with? This is for a fish nautique.
there is no substitution for cubic inches.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic