NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

holley 4160 secondary metering plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: holley 4160 secondary metering plate
    Posted: January-24-2019 at 12:44pm
Have the original early 80's 4160, it has vacuum leak and has hard time at idle, way too high rpm.    Top end is perfect though, getting 4500 to 4600 WOT.

I have a newer one that was purchased new from i think Jegs a couple of years ago. After i got the float issues corrected the engine is about 200 rpms off.   

Primary jets are the same on both. However both have metering plates for secondary and I cant verify the jet sizes for the old one to compare them and they are not interchangeable.   

Anyone know the jetting for secondary metering plate?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2019 at 1:13pm
Is there a number stamped in the middle of the plates like in the picture below.?

The one in the picture is stamped with an upside down 59

That'll tell you the equivalent jet sizing of the idle and main orifices by referencing a chart .

If you have the numbers but can't find them on a chart, post them here and maybe you'll get it figured out. Lots of charts out there but they don't all list the same numbers.

Or............... post the list numbers on both and that may help.

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2019 at 1:44pm
the upside down 59 shows on my old unit.   not sure what the new one has, will look again but it is a different number.   

Where can i find the chart?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2019 at 5:44pm
Here's a chart or 2.

Not necessarily complete though. You won't find a 59 on it

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2019 at 10:56pm
Here's another chart in the link, the bottom of the chart on gthe right has a 59 metering plate listed   34R9716-59 saying it corresponds to a 56 main jet.

A 56 main jet is .055 inches, not .056 like you would think.

You could check the size of the hole with a .055 drill bit which would be a number 54 drill bit just to be sure

Now ain't them some confusing numbers

link

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2019 at 2:03pm
i was messing with the 1983 carburetor that i rebuilt a few years ago and think i found the vacuum leak. Turns out the secondary is not closing all the way due to the vacuum diaphragm spring. Dont get new spring in the kit.    I bent the linkage a little to put some closing pressure on the secondaries.   I also stretched the spring a little
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2019 at 2:24pm
Steve the slop was likely due to the primary idle stop being screwed in too far due to clogged primary idle orifices, making the engine idle off the mains via the exposed xfer slots.

If you cleaned the primary metering plate successfully, and both orifices are now open, you may observe that you need to reduce the idle stop a good amount, but find the secondary return rod may want to bind at this new bend.

Stretching the secondary spring is strictly forboden . its not a return spring, it sets the cfm the secondary will open at.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2019 at 3:29pm
no issue with primary. fact is the idle screw backed out all the way.   
Unit is not installed, I sat and messed with it and found secondary was not closing all the way. After manipulating the spring it did close all the way consistently.   

Primary is a metering block not a plate.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2019 at 3:52pm
Jeepers. Reread above. Listen to Tom.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2019 at 4:29pm
Guess i need to be more descriptive

Holding the unit upside down with main throttle open all the way, i can manually open the secondary and watch it slowly close but it stops short allowing air gap in the secondary butterfly.    I can however manually close the secondary, I did this operation multi times with same result. I wd 440 all joints with same result and ruled out slop in the bearing surface.   I then opened the vacuum pot and pulled the spring which is original 35 years old. I pulled it just a little without deforming it and re installed. I then Operated the secondary valve as before and noted that it consistently closed.   I also did bend the linkage with the primary idle screw backed out all the way and now there is a small negative load on the secondary to keep it closed at idle.   

as soon as i get a new rebuild kit since i need some of the gaskets and cross over tube o rings i will reinstall it and see if it works,   I have a second unit that is new but for some reason the engine gets less top end with the new one.   

I also compared apples to apples with the old and new one on the bench together to compare operation.      

I will likely get a spring kit and try a few since old one was compressed. By the way the secondaries did open kind of erratic.   not seamless transition. it kind of kicked on hard like a weaker spring was being used.   So i am pretty sure the spring is the main issue here, secondary issue being paint.   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2019 at 8:56pm
Steve

Here in the link at the bottom are the instructions that might come with your spring kit

The instructions mention that one purpose of the spring is to ensure that the secondaries close fully (last sentence in the second paragraph from the end )

We know the primary purpose is to control opening rate of the secondaries

Maybe that's why your secondaries stay closed now just like you thought.   

Like you're thinking, I'd put a new spring in there and a new diaphragm too to go along with it and see what the results are..

link

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 10:38am
Made a frankenstein. works perfect. took the spring from new unit and put in in the old one. it now works perfect at low and high end. actually turning 4700 wot.   couple of years ago i had original prop re pitched to 13-12 due to WOT issues.   Plan to have it put back 13 square.   

The spring in the secondary diaphragm pot is a return spring along with a gauging device.   It does control opening and closing etc.

Spring from new unit was completely different, its about 3 inches long when fully sprung and old one is about inch and a half.   
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 10:52am
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

couple of years ago i had original prop re pitched to 13-12 due to WOT issues.   Plan to have it put back 13 square.   

If you have any interest what so ever in the performance of the boat leave that prop as is, use it as a spare and get a good cnc modern prop.   Probably an ACME 540
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 1:29pm
I did consider ;leaving it alone. Kind of a waste to spend money on the old one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic