Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle body injection

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
PeterH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle body injection
    Posted: January-28-2019 at 9:31pm
Hi all, My head is spinning with confusion as to what to do.
I have a ‘94 Nautique 5.8 Pro Boss with Holley TBI which has always run great but now has an injector that wont spray. Had it cleaned and tested by the shop but it seems dead.
Surely there is an equivalent injector that will slot right in so i can replace the pair.
It just seems so senseless to have to upgrade the whole pod and install 4 new injectors or retro fit a Holley carby, distributor and mechanical fuel pump, all because of a single injector.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as if i dont get the kids back on the water soon they’ll pack up and find a new dad with a boat they can ski behind.
Cheers
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 1:15am
I feel your pain, mate. I have the exact same situation -- 1994 Ski Nautique with the Pro Boss Throttle-Body Electronic Fuel Infection.

The throttle-body EFI and the PCM engine management system called ProTec were both failing on my engine. Parts are no longer available for either the EFI or the ProTec. I called Holley and PCM for advice. PCM recommended that I retro-fit the engine to distributor and carburetor. So, I followed their advice and now I'm running a QuickFuel M-650 marine carburetor and a DUI from Performance Distributors I have 3 full seasons with this new configuration and performance and reliability have been rock-solid. It is impossible to do a before-and-after comparison, but the carb/distributor engine runs and pulls as strong as the TBI set-up.

I don't know the difficulty of acquiring parts down-under, but below are a couple of links for the carby and dizzy I used:

DIZZY LINK

CARBY LINK

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 4:49am
I would study your failing injector, pull it out and take a picture of the numbers on the injector itself.
I would bet that injector was used in another production engine from the 94 time period.
Several makes were selling cars with Throttle body injectors at that time.
PCM did not invent the wheel they bought those parts from someone.
I know others have searched with no luck but post a picture of the part and the part numbers shown on that injector. Maybe we can help you out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 7:55am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I would study your failing injector, pull it out and take a picture of the numbers on the injector itself.
I would bet that injector was used in another production engine from the 94 time period.
Several makes were selling cars with Throttle body injectors at that time.
PCM did not invent the wheel they bought those parts from someone.
I know others have searched with no luck but post a picture of the part and the part numbers shown on that injector. Maybe we can help you out.

Here's an old thread from JQ just chock full of numbers

link

Another old thread with no solution for replacement injectors

link

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 8:42am
Originally posted by PeterH PeterH wrote:

Hi all, My head is spinning with confusion as to what to do.
I have a ‘94 Nautique 5.8 Pro Boss with Holley TBI which has always run great but now has an injector that wont spray. Had it cleaned and tested by the shop but it seems dead.
Surely there is an equivalent injector that will slot right in so i can replace the pair.
It just seems so senseless to have to upgrade the whole pod and install 4 new injectors or retro fit a Holley carby, distributor and mechanical fuel pump, all because of a single injector.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as if i dont get the kids back on the water soon they’ll pack up and find a new dad with a boat they can ski behind.
Cheers

Are you saying it's dead as tested by the shop or it was good at the shop and it's dead when installed in the boat like maybe it's a wiring issue?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 10:05am
IIRC, the connector style on the top of the injectors has changed but you can still get an injector that would fit the TB. You would need to match up LB/HR and order a new spider harness for the top/adapt that to the factor harness if it doesn't plug and play. This TB is very similar to the current Holley aftermarket TBI options. Not sure GM ever used a 4 BBL TBI on an auto application though. All of their hi-po early EFI cars were multi port dating back to the cross-fire injection on the early 80s Vette.

Sorry I don't remember any part numbers.

My money would be on a DUI/M600 though because the ignition system WILL fail and at that point there is no resolution for it. So, it's a do it now or do it later type of thing. Carb/DUI is easily serviceable and will be for many more years.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 10:26am
I also have no qualm about carbs

But, have to inquire, have you swapped the injectors or harness to see if the issue moves?

If the injector has continuity but not getting driven with PWM from the controller, a new injector won't help.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 10:41am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

My money would be on a DUI/M600 though because the ignition system WILL fail and at that point there is no resolution for it.

Recall that someone recently converted their TBI+Protec to TBI+DUI when their Protec failed... no reason to scrap the fuel side because you’re afraid of the ignition reliability (they can be decoupled fairly easily).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 10:57am
Injector not ignition possibly failed
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 11:10am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Recall that someone recently converted their TBI+Protec to TBI+DUI when their Protec failed... no reason to scrap the fuel side because you’re afraid of the ignition reliability (they can be decoupled fairly easily).

Zach must have missed that thread

Here it is in the link

link

It doesn't exactly help Peter right now though.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 11:59am
I did forget about that one. Whoops.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 1:38am
Sounds like the decision is made to return to a carb and manual distributor. They work just fine, I have no issue with that but FI does offer great quick starts and pretty good fuel mileage.
With that said one of my ski buddies is really good with carburetors.
He can touch his key and his damn cabureted Chevy 350 fires every time, cold or hot without touching his throttle.   It burns clean and offers fuel injection type acceleration.
Some are better than others at tuning.
My Carbed GM 350 ran great by most standards but I always had to give it one pump to cold start even though I beat him in every boat race we ever did but my buddy would just smile, cause he understood those carbs a touch better and my hat is still off to him for having the expertise to make that happen and dumb pride had me always trying to reach his level of tune rather than let him tune it for me.
I will say he insisted on new plugs every season, I was OK with wait for one to foul out, 5-6 seasons was just fine with me as long as all 8 fired.
FI engines have issues also but if you install a new carb, maniflold and distributor you should have a great running boat for many years.   I put 1,600 hours on a carbureted 1978 and we were always happy with it.
PeterH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 5:33am
Thanks JQ, it's looking like the sensible thing to do as an expensive fix to a problem that will most likey rear it's ugly head again doesn't make much sense.
Hope I can get my head around the job.
Did you remove all the redundant parts such as the fuel pumps, electronic ignition set up etc.....stupid qu I guess, i'm sure you did.
Are there any sensors that need to be removed, plugged up etc that hook in to the control system of the engine, that all seems a little confusing to me having not done this before.
Cheers.
PeterH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 5:45am
Thanks so much for all your responses, great forum, I did have the injectors tested by a workshop who confirmed my suspect injector was not spraying at all on their test bench.
So i'm assuming all is ok with ignition and wiring harness.
Would love to find an equivalent injector and just drop it in to see if it fixes the problem, with this TBI set up, the delivery could even be slightly different as it all drops in to the same plenum (is that the right word ?) fuel air drops into the same chamber below the injectors, mixes and distributes to cylinders.
At the end of the day, I have a good bottom end motor that just needs fuel delivered to it.
The carby set up sounds like the way I will need to go, does anyone know if there is a good guide as to how to do this ?
Thanks guys.
PeterH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 5:52am
Guys one question I do have, how do I tell if my engine is a Windsor or a Cleveland and how do I tell if it is normal rotation or reverse rotation...?
I'm just an electrician so I don't feel too guilty asking dumb questions.
Cheers guys.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 9:06am
The link below will take you to lots of threads with ProTec replacement info, most deal with the distributor side of things since a lot of the ProTec boats came with a carburetor already.

It'll give you a bunch of reading to help with decisions

link

Just figure it's a Windsor and you'll be OK.

Or count the bolts holding down the valve covers 6 bolts on the Windsor 8 bolts on a Cleveland.

You have about a 100 % chance it's a Windsor   

There are a variety of ways to tell the rotation, you most likely have a LH normal rotation engine, with a PCM 1.23:1 transmission that reverses the engine rotation and drives a RH propeller.

See which way the belts and pulleys are turning when you're looking at the front of the engine.

If they're turning toward the passengers side, it's normal rotation, if toward the drivers side then it's reverse rotation.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

See which way the belts and pulleys are turning when you're looking at the front of the engine.
If they're turning toward the passengers side, it's normal rotation, if toward the drivers side then it's reverse rotation.

Ken,Turning towards the passenger or drivers side, is that the top or the bottom of the belts and pulleys?

Peter,
Maybe it's best that you tell us if they are turning clockwise or counterclockwise!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 4:39pm
Maybe they turn opposite in the Southern Hemisphere.

God bless America, And our clockwise turning toilets!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Ken,Turning towards the passenger or drivers side, is that the top or the bottom of the belts and pulleys?

Peter,
Maybe it's best that you tell us if they are turning clockwise or counterclockwise!

Now I could have written that but let's say his belts are turning clockwise, then he'll get told he has a LH rotating engine and maybe get all kinda confused since the engine is rotating to the right.

It's that old not confusing in the slightest question of figuring out marine engine rotation and terminology

Maybe we should say, lift the hood of your car and see which way the engine rotates and compare it to your boat engine. If they're the same then you have a standard rotation engine

You need to get your brain thawed out I think it's frozen

Hope you got the antifreeze today
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 5:22pm
Peter,
Here's a picture now that you may be totally confused.

Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

People get confused with rotation direction because it's not derived from the front of the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 6:04pm
Not even worth continuing this conversation Pete, I'm sure he can figure it out
PeterH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 8:43pm
Thanks again for all your wise and knowledgable information.
Pretty certain i’ll bite the bullet and strip it down, get the carby and dissy happening.
I’ll be reading and asking questions of you all if i may, as i go, thete will be a number of qu regarding wiring, what gets made redundant etc.
I’ll crank engine to see direction and let you know this evening.
Thanks guys, have a great day / night.
2001Sunsport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 2:09pm
Not sure if this was linked already, but the previous owner of my 1994 Supra comp did this upgrade due to a failed injector.

Originally posted by Tahoe_MB Tahoe_MB wrote:

To keep the TBI you need the following:
Holley injector pod upgrade kit (534-169) $170.95
Qty 4 Holley Fuel injectors(522-43) $117.95 ea

You will need a fuel pressure guage as you will have to adjust fuel regulator (screw on back of TBI) to 20 lbs. This is max output of the high pressure pump.

It is a very straightforward swap. Only other thing you need is a couple of o-rings to replace the 4 on the fuel spuds that interconnect the TBI to the TBI pod.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 5:17pm
It was linked already in a link that took you to an earlier thread,

You might say straightforward if you can find the parts.

The pod upgrade kit 534-169 has been out of production for quite a while and all the places that list them seem to say unavailable .

Here's a place that doesn't say unavailable and let me add it to the cart so who knows?

link

You'd still need the new injectors to go along with it.
PeterH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 8:14am
Hey all, so all due to a single injector failing, i've decided, based on many suggestions to go with the retrofit carby / distributor option.
It's a little more expensive than the injector pod upgrade and 4 new injectors ( if you can even locate them to purchase ), as time moves on, that upgrade is becoming more difficult to locate.
So the extra cost will be well worth it.
I was reluctant to go the carb/dissy retro initially as I felt it would be a step backwards in terms of technology / performance etc but as I have found in my research it seems the carb will be much more reliable, easier to tune and adjust the set up and in fact, may even perform as well if not better slightly than the TBI.
My 351w has the GT40 heads and relatively low hours so hopefully the bottom end is still in good shape.
With the decent heads I'm tempted to install a mild cam for improved low end response / torque and an Edelbrock performer intake manifold to compliment the new quick fuel 650 double pumper carby, I think that would be a great combination without overdoing things.
Wow, all that due to one single biddy injector......boys and toys huh !
I'll keep you posted as I get the work done.....I'm starting this week.
I'm sure I may have some questions as I go as you guys have way more experience than I do.
Thanks again for your advice and suggestions, it's a great forum.
If any of you are down under....look me up, we"ll hit the river.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 9:47am
I know fixing the injection could be cool but I feel this will be a more long term solution and also something you will be able to easily service for a very long time.

The cam and intake would be a great idea to liven the engine up. If you didn't feel like doing internal work such as a cam you could probably yield similar results by just adding some nice roller rockers with a 1.7:1 ratio. This wouldn't change the rpm band of the engine much but give you a lift number around the maximum amount the stock Ford heads flow at.
PeterH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 10:34am
I’m still learning about engine mods so excuse my ignorance...
I always thought roller rockers simply allowed for higher rpm without valve bouncing.
It just gets better......haha where does one stop ?
Maybe cam, intake manifold and roller rockers would be the best combination.
I need to be mindfull of the standard and 400 hour bottom end, i dont want to over do it.
It is a ski boat at the end of the day and im not looking at pulling big rpm, i just want something that pulls like a train out of the hole.
And as im putting a new carb and dissy on i just thought of the other components that might enhance the installation.
Id hate to think that i had this new set up with one compo ant that was holding back it’s potential.
Now you have me thinking :
Carb
Dissy
Intake manifold
Cam
Roller rockers
Is that too much ?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 10:52am
400hr aint nothing, still daisy fresh
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 11:18am
I wouldn't pull the camshaft out of a 400 hour engine. The factory cam specs aren't too bad just lacking in total lift. 1:7 roller rockers will get you around .480 total lift and reduce some friction and maybe valvetrain weight.

Maybe pickup an extra 25 hp or so with the intake/rockers.

Springs are really the determining factor for valve "Float", Camshaft ramp rates can also effect that but those are on the extreme end of specs for that type of issue.
sandro.zaal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandro.zaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 7:59am
Hi everyone

Im having a same issue with my 1994 Ski nautique with pro tec ignition.
One of my 4 Holley 250R-123AA injectors died, so Ive sent my issue to PCM and they recommended to upgrade to a new RN0153A injectors and a pod because of difference in size.

Replacement was easy and smooth, but the problem remains. Unfortunately, no specialists in my country to hope for any help. Have to do it by myself.

Now Im starting from the beginning. Im getting so desperate, that I could not figure out how to solve this problem already an year or even more. I dont want to throw away this beautiful boat, which was running smoothly for such a long time. Will appreciate any help solving this issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic