NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Antifreez test

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2019 at 10:56pm
Good to know. I have hose bib that freezes once every ten years I’ll watch then thx
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 6:16am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Good to know. I have hose bib that freezes once every ten years I’ll watch then thx

Daryn,
You don't have frost proof hose bibs in California?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 9:47am
we don't have frost proof bibs here in Georgia.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 10:26am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Hi peter. At what temps do you recommend winterizing. Unfortunately I’m in California near coast gets into low 30’s , if it rarely got into 20’s I would put heat lamp or heater in boat for the week. Your thoughts?? Thanks

Daryn,
It sounds like you have a technique that works. I have no fears of you having any issues or worries. Even when the temps get into the 20's, it takes several days for the engine to see the temps. The trans cooler would be the first to be susceptible. The light bulb trick you use is taking care of you.

SkiNat

I'm glad that Pete can figure out from the info given that you'll be fine doing nothing except throwing a light bulb or electric heater in the boat if it's getting into the twenties.

From a fairly recent post it seems like maybe you keep the boat in a 10 by 17 plastic enclosure.

There are a number of people on CCF that are from your general area that could tell you what they do or don't do.

I figure when you get that unexpected cold snap with a power outage and one of the variety of natural disasters you seem to have in California thrown in, then you can scramble around in the cold and dark with a flashlight trying to figure out how to drain the engine or you can do it ahead of time and not have to worry about the engine.
Then you'll only have to worry about the outside faucet.

Those corny sayings like

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure " "Better safe than Sorry" or the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" might be handy to think about.

Here's an old thread from Planet Nautique with people who do nothing and others who drain. Some of the names are/were familiar names on this site.

That heat lamp or heater may or may not be explosion proof in an enclosed area either.

old PN thread    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 11:28am
Daryn,
Of course the "what if's" as Ken mentions can always happen. I now fear you could freeze up you complete house if your power goes out. Then if you have a generator, it too can fail. You'll end up with a house that looks something like this:

Don't worry about getting a frostproof hose bib ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 11:52am
My power went out at home Wednesday at around 5am when it was in the minus twenties . Had to "winterize" the house. I did hold off on draining the hot water heater, luckily the power came back after only a few hours.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2019 at 11:14am
That’s a trick hose bib never seen before. Thx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2019 at 11:25am
I’m like my toys to be clean and well maintained. So probably will drain and change oil just to get old dirty stuff out. Should be ok with actual cracked block but that cooler does look venerable. Pretty easy got a little screw at bottom. Thx daryn
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 12:16pm
My Southwind has a heat exchanger in it so the block is filled with 50/50 automotive antifreeze all the time. This works for me in our area where it does not get that cold and when we were in NC it also worked fine. I do use RV palatable antifreeze in the raw water feed, Bar headers and exhaust system by running the boat and sucking in about 3 gallons of the stuff.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by oldskiboat oldskiboat wrote:

I do use RV palatable antifreeze in the raw water feed, Bar headers and exhaust system by running the boat and sucking in about 3 gallons of the stuff.

Very poor advise for people that live were it gets real cold. Have fun and it's good you live in a warm area.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 12:32pm
Well I would hate to use the poisons automotive stuff and when using the RV type straight all I see coming out the exhaust is the antifreeze and in my case all that is being protected is the raw water intake, filter, raw water pump inside the heat exchanger, bar headers and exhaust.. What type of antifreeze would have to be used in colder areas of the 20 below temperatures?
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 12:41pm

Well I would hate to use the poisons automotive stuff and when using the RV type straight all I see coming out the exhaust is the antifreeze and in my case all that is being protected is the raw water intake, filter, raw water pump inside the heat exchanger, bar headers and exhaust.. What type of antifreeze would have to be used in colder areas of the 20 below temperatures?

What does the refractometer tell you about the antifreeze you get out of the exhaust?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 12:47pm
Excellent point, I'm not sure, but like I said in my area if it gets to freezing it is cold. I'm about an hour north of Orlando, FL.   So, in the case of a block with automotive antifreeze and a heat exchanger just be sure it is mixed to the correct formula for the area you live in , Correct? and then what would be done for the raw water end?
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 12:50pm
DRAIN first and then add the antifreeze is the only way to properly winterize anything. The bottom line is the suck up method without draining is poor advice because of the potential dilution.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 12:52pm
Okay, thank you for your help.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 1:02pm

Excellent point, I'm not sure, but like I said in my area if it gets to freezing it is cold. I'm about an hour north of Orlando, FL.   So, in the case of a block with automotive antifreeze and a heat exchanger just be sure it is mixed to the correct formula for the area you live in , Correct? and then what would be done for the raw water end?

I don’t know why you bother winterizing. You can ski all year long!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 1:05pm
Just in case, we do get below freezing at times. And the stuff is cheap
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 1:15pm
Wouldn’t Quick drains on any raw water be a quicker fix and you could just do it after you ski?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 1:23pm

And the stuff is cheap

But a tube in shell and exhaust manifolds aren't!! They both have drains so why not drain?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Wouldn’t Quick drains on any raw water be a quicker fix and you could just do it after you ski?

Even way up north in NC, that is all I do, as I do periodically go out for a winter ski. Takes about 3 minutes to:

Open 2 drain cocks
Pull hose off thermostat housing
Pull hose off raw water pump
Blow water out of transmission cooler via the two unhooked hoses
Done
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 1:32pm
Remember I'm in Florida.   The benefit of RV antifreeze is it prevents rust also. I have had the bar manifolds on it from about 96 and they are in great shape inside, just about no rust. I used the RV antifreeze in both NC and in Florida and have had no issues with the raw water components, but I also see nothing wrong with draining these. What ever is best for the boat.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 2:13pm
Meanwhile here we are in the depths of winter and it’s 85 out. The down side is I’m going through impellers and gas. Think I’ll go winterize myself
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic