Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plywood for trailer restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
skidiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skidiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2019 at 8:17am
That 9' was a problem for me too. The way I chose to handle it and the problem with future rot was to use pressure treated plywood and to put the seam behind the fenders. I am trying to remember but think on mine that there was a brace that area and the seam was split between the 2 pieces of wood.. As for carpet I decided not to use any and just apply roll on black bedliner, it is really hard to tell it is not carpet with the texture. A few other bonuses in going this route is it is now pretty much no slip, will not hold water, and since I leave my trailer on the ramp and in the water often it pressure washes clean easily. One other thing I almost forgot was I used galvanized carriage bolts for attachment, when coated with the bedliner they are hardly noticeable. Been about 6 years and no problems with rot or the coating yet. This method for me only takes two $40.00 3/4x4x8 sheets of plywood. Use a round over bit and router to soften the edges for a more carpeted look.
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2019 at 10:41am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Martin,
What did you coat the Menards ply with? Did you happen to notice these statements in Menards product description?

"Not treated against rot and decay like pressure-treated plywood"

"It is considered a premium panel-grade ready for sealing for use in high-moisture applications"

Pete,
I will have to admit that I have only used the "Menards" plywood for boat seat repair in the last 4 years. I used two coats of Spar varnish on it before covering with the foam and vinyl. I did not research the "Marine grade" when I purchased it and just assumed what it meant.
The stuff that I have used in the past that has lasted for years outdoors without rot or separation was from a local company that manufactured boat seats and furniture. That was 25 to 30 years ago.
I would still use the "Marine from Menards over exterior grade and seal it with something, I personally do not like doing a project with the idea of saving money and having to do it again in 5 years!
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2019 at 11:45am
What roll on coating did you use? I could use it on one of the 3 trailers. I have heard the Raptor is good stuff.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2019 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by skidiver skidiver wrote:

That 9' was a problem for me too. The way I chose to handle it and the problem with future rot was to use pressure treated plywood and to put the seam behind the fenders. I am trying to remember but think on mine that there was a brace that area and the seam was split between the 2 pieces of wood.. As for carpet I decided not to use any and just apply roll on black bedliner, it is really hard to tell it is not carpet with the texture. A few other bonuses in going this route is it is now pretty much no slip, will not hold water, and since I leave my trailer on the ramp and in the water often it pressure washes clean easily. One other thing I almost forgot was I used galvanized carriage bolts for attachment, when coated with the bedliner they are hardly noticeable. Been about 6 years and no problems with rot or the coating yet. This method for me only takes two $40.00 3/4x4x8 sheets of plywood. Use a round over bit and router to soften the edges for a more carpeted look.

Thanks - I just went and looked at it, I'm going to do the same. There's a support right behind the fender, so a seam will be well supported, and no one would ever see it when the boat is loaded (or off, for that matter). Love the idea of roll on bedliner instead of carpet... Herculiner looks readily available and gets solid reviews.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2019 at 11:27pm
Dock Doc,

You are welcome to check out my Ramlin trailer. The previous owner replaced the plywood and had a bed liner company spray liner just on the top side and the sides of the wood. This lets the wood breath. It has traction for your feet, and it drys very fast. The black does not seem to get too hot in the summer too. It has held up very well and looks like carpet from a first look.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2019 at 2:23am
You guys varnish before the bedliner material ??
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2019 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Dock Doc,

You are welcome to check out my Ramlin trailer. The previous owner replaced the plywood and had a bed liner company spray liner just on the top side and the sides of the wood. This lets the wood breath. It has traction for your feet, and it drys very fast. The black does not seem to get too hot in the summer too. It has held up very well and looks like carpet from a first look.

Donald

Thanks Donald - I think this really sounds like the way to go. I'm going to cut up some plywood and get a quote from the Line-X guys to have it sprayed.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2019 at 10:45am
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

Seems like this would negatively impact adhesion of the bedliner, but I'm not sure. Isn't the bedliner material water-resistant?
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
skidiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skidiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2019 at 10:53am
I did not do any additional prep to my wood before applying bed liner. I however did not coat the bottom to allow the wood to dry after the trailer comes out of the water. I have my own ramp so I just leave it sitting in the water while the boat is out on the lake. That time can range from and hour to all day, it has never given me a problem at all. The best advantage that I see over carpet is where it touches the fenders due to the fact that is dries so fast it does not cause the rusting problems that are common in that area. One note is apply before installing and touch up attachments bolt after they are in place if wanted. One final note is do not get any of the liner anyplace you do not want it, once dry it will not come off "EVER".
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2019 at 3:56pm
Leaving the trailer in the water all day can't be good for bearings or bunk carpet...I guess you guys don't have the salt and sulfur content in the water like we do here in FL
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2019 at 4:33pm

Leaving the trailer in the water all day can't be good for bearings or bunk carpet...

Ross,
There are pressurized bearing systems out there to keep the water out.

Here's a common version:

The bunk carpet on my lift is 40 years old and it sits in the water many hours without any problems and mine sure isn't the only one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skidiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skidiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2019 at 4:43pm
No salt, not much of that middle Georgia. It is a 99 and have never had to change the bunk carpet. I do have the plastic easy glides on them because ramp is not real steep, so no wear on that carpet either. As far as bearings, still on the first set too. A long trip for it is I go to the gas station that is 3.2 miles rather than the one that is 3.1 miles. Most of the time other than gas my primary tow vehicle is and old L235 Kubota tractor. If I was going on a long trip I would at least check and repack them. I Guess that I am lucky enough not to have to worry about it to much since all I do is walk out my back door crank the tractor and go ski. Now my boat on the coast, I think it lives to eat bearings. (edit) He is right a well packed marine trailer bearing even without bearing buddies leaves very little or no room for water intrusion.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2019 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Working with lumber and wood boats for many years, I get pretty upset with the misconception out there as to what marine plywood actually is. I feel Martin may be a example of this misconception and then going to Menards where I guarantee no one explained to him what he was buying.

So Ken, per your comment it sounds like I shouldn't say anything and let other people fall into misusing marine plywood? My intent it to try and stop the spreading of manure.

Pete

It looks like maybe you should straighten out the APA (The Engineered Wood Association)

They seem to have a definition of what qualifies as marine plywood, see the link below

link

You have your BS 1088 definition that you think is the only one out there but like most things there are different definitions and standards.

Maybe instead of telling Martin he may be an example of a misconception you should explain why you feel your BS-1088 stuff is better than his..

While you're at it, you could straighten out the Home depot people next time you put the apron on. They sell the same Roseburg plywood that Martin linked with the same wording in their advertising. Must be the same con job.as Menard's .

Then you can move on up the wood chain and make sure those people at the APA are all properly educated too. so they're not pulling the same con job.

After all that you shouldn't be upset any more   

So Pete

Where's the explanation of why the APA approved marine plywood that gets you so upset isn't as good as the BS-1088 stuff?

It's your chance to educate the CCF world based on your opinions

Don't forget to also include Australian Standard marine plywood in your discussion.

Maybe you should make a new thread so it's easy for people to find in the future

Edit a while later................, this got the usual lack of response from Pete.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2019 at 10:32pm

Nope just raw plywood.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 1:48am
Yea I had those same bearing buddies on our duck hunting boat. They are ok. I think the axle inside out grease style is what most of us have with a dust cap and seal on end. Don't get me wrong I just put brand new stainless Kodiak disc brakes on the barefoots trailer last year and it stop like a dream now, but the seal on axle either the drums that came off or disc that I put on I wouldn't say are water tight per say. , They hold the grease in pretty good so far.

On another now what circular saw blade you guys like on the plywood? mines a lil rusty...time for a new one....I think I just talked myself in to doing 2 or maybe the 3rd trailer now...the weather is nice...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 7:14am

On another now what circular saw blade you guys like on the plywood? mines a lil rusty...time for a new one....I think I just talked myself in to doing 2 or maybe the 3rd trailer now...the weather is nice...

Ross,

I feel Freud makes the best.

Here's their plywood blades.

I frequent Woodworkers supply for my woodworking needs and Freud products

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skidiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skidiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2019 at 1:37pm
As I recall on mine did not use a circular saw at all, used the factory edge against the trailer. The outsides have so many curves and were going to be routed anyway I just used a jig saw for all of my cuts.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2019 at 3:38pm
I knew i bought that makita 18v jig saw on black friday for a reason!
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2019 at 4:44pm

I knew i bought that makita 18v jig saw on black friday for a reason!

Yeah jigsaw is essential here of course.

Started working on this this weekend. Made the mistake of trying to use the existing pieces as templates... Worked ok for the back half, but the front half was disintegrating in my hands as I tried to scribe it onto the plywood. Ended up mis-sizing it so will have to start that over. At this point, considering the old stuff a total loss and just trashing it, I'll use the trailer and/or cardboard to scribe out the new sections. From what I can tell, seems I should be able to do one side and then use that as a template for the opposite side.

So far, I see no reason why this can't be done as to halves using a 4x8 plywood sheet, rather than trying to get a 10' sheet. There's a metal support smack in the middle, this thing ought to be solid.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2019 at 10:49pm
You use 2 or 3 sheets? inside fender included..Reuse hardware?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2019 at 8:29pm
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2019 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Here's what I did:

Boat trailer plywood photos and writeup

Very nice Kevin. Great job.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2019 at 9:10pm
And doing some quick math, I did that in 2013, and they still look great with no rot in 2019, so 5 years, going on 6, of no problems. I put the seam between the wheel well and the bunk rail. You never step there, I created a stringer across the seam with another piece of wood and screwed it all together. It was not worth the extra cost (to me) to have just one piece of wood when the end product ended up looking so nice. Unless you crawl under my trailer and look behind the wheel well, which isn't even easy to do, you would never know that step is created from two pieces of wood.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2019 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

And doing some quick math, I did that in 2013, and they still look great with no rot in 2019, so 5 years, going on 6, of no problems. I put the seam between the wheel well and the bunk rail. You never step there, I created a stringer across the seam with another piece of wood and screwed it all together. It was not worth the extra cost (to me) to have just one piece of wood when the end product ended up looking so nice. Unless you crawl under my trailer and look behind the wheel well, which isn't even easy to do, you would never know that step is created from two pieces of wood.

Thanks that looks really great. Where did you get the carpet? And any tips for how to tuck/fold the carpet at the corners?
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic