NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet dip stick

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 12:12pm
Now that the dipstick has been resolved
Seeing as I have all this out of boat, should I rebuild the Velvet Drive?
When I bought the boat I never had a chance to drive because stringers were so bad.
I have looked for rebuild in forums but can't find, still not asking the right way I guess.
Thoughts and Suggestions
Thanks
JT
wheedle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wheedle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 12:43pm
If you have something to spin it with, you can test it. Keno has talked about using a pto off of a tractor.

I have read this before, but have yet to rebuild mine.
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53874
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 12:53pm
Very good info, think I will rebuild as I have it out of boat.
Thanks
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Thanks

Why jump to conclusion that it needs rebuilt??   I think lake testing would be my choice. But first drain the fluid out and look for debris. If it does not show a lot of metallic particles and or chunks then chances are good that it is OK.
Rebuilds are not the easiest thing to do. Get a manual and review it. There is a video on Master Craft forum that is very helpful also. Some special tools and an arbor type press are needed for the clutch pack. Seals and gaskets don't constitute a rebuild.. One of our senior members was going to report back to me what a "full rebuild" consists of but I can't seem to find that post. Good luck
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Thanks

Why jump to conclusion that it needs rebuilt??   I think lake testing would be my choice.
Good luck

Motor and tranny are out of boat sitting in barn......
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 5:50pm
OK, I and others have rebuilt them. If you need assistance it is only a "post" away
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 6:35pm
John,
Good advice from Duane. Drain and pull the suction screen at the bottom of the case looking for debris. If it looks good, don't open it up. I have 54 years on a velvet at it still runs like new.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Drain and pull the suction screen at the bottom of the case looking for debris.

Don't be too surprised if the screen is missing. Some have been tossed.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 7:46pm

Don't expect the price to be the same as this one was.

1978 Mustang (modified)
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 8:38pm

Ok before I just start unbolting things , where is this drain plug and screen located
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 8:56pm

Ok before I just start unbolting things , where is this drain plug and screen located

John,
The screen will be behind the cooling line (hose) fitting towards the bottom of the case.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 9:10pm
Will check it tomorrow, if it warms up going down to 35 (WTF in Florida) tonight.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by wheedle wheedle wrote:

If you have something to spin it with, you can test it. Keno has talked about using a pto off of a tractor.

I have read this before, but have yet to rebuild mine.
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53874

Here in the link below is how a real backyard hack would test his transmission ,(partway down the first page).

You can at least see that it spins in fwd and reverse and check pressures in fwd and reverse too with a couple of gauges.

Duane, I see some words about what a rebuild is or isn't from that senior member you refer to in the same linked thread

link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 9:39pm
A little light reading from the reference section of CCF in the link

Page 54 has strainer info

If you have a 10-17, it's a later version of the 71C and most of the same info applies.

You can find later manuals that also cover the 10-17 but not in the reference section of CCF

link
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 4:43am
The tranny is like an automatic. Fiber Plates inside squeezed between Metal plates when you engage. There will be material in the oil.   These are very durable tranny's and easy to repair when broken so I would vote for use it after installing new fluid. Run it a while and install new fluid again just to make sure it is clean and ready for long term use.
I made the mistake of using my reverse as a brake in a panic stop and broke mine. the clutch plates fractured. It was not hard or expensive to fix it. I was 20 years younger then so maybe it would be heavier and harder to do now.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 8:35am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I made the mistake of using my reverse as a brake .

But Mark, using reverse on a boat are the brakes. Is there another way to slow a boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 12:26pm
Speaking of reverse...
Is this a reverse rotation engine. I looked for a tag but I guess when the PO did all his crap to this engine took it off.
It is a 351w PCM I'm guessing as it is painted a gold color????
Also while removing the alternator it wasn't hooked to anything , so it is probably wrong also....
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 2:13pm

Speaking of reverse...Is this a reverse rotation engine.

Take a pic of the prop. Or if it is an ACME prop then post the part #
        1978 Mustang (modified)
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 2:17pm
Pete, going to neutral probably would have been just as quick of a stop but I was rolling at 40mph coming around a blind curve in the river to find 4 boats coming at me head on, one jet boat cut hard right for some reason which put us on a collision course. I went for panic stop, avoided any collisions but scared the poop out of me.   We avoided contact by about a foot, no more. My reverse at full throttle came from many years driving jet boats, the technique worked much better in them. Blew the clutches right apart in the velvet drive.
I still had enough forward gear to make it back to the dock without reverse.
Fixed it in one day in my garage. They are pretty tough.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 2:21pm
Guessing you only broke the reverse clutch disc and then it lost mesh. Should not hurt anything else. (other than your pride)
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 2:41pm

Speaking of reverse...
Is this a reverse rotation engine. I looked for a tag but I guess when the PO did all his crap to this engine took it off.
It is a 351w PCM I'm guessing as it is painted a gold color????
Also while removing the alternator it wasn't hooked to anything , so it is probably wrong also....

You could pull the plugs and distributor cap and turn the engine from the harmonic balancer bolt. From the front turn it CCW and if the rotor turns CCW you have a reverse rotation engine. That'll be a definite way to tell without having to make any assumptions
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 3:29pm
I think I make out a XX RH 13????
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 3:31pm
Speaking of props, what is the difference in a 3 blade and a 4 blade (I have on my 79)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 3:54pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 4:33pm

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I made the mistake of using my reverse as a brake .

But Mark, using reverse on a boat are the brakes. Is there another way to slow a boat?

Pete, I am guessing by context and how he said it, he wasnt braking for a nice gentle stop while idling into the dock. I get the sense it was a pretty quick 35 to 0 in 15 feet kind of stop.

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Was wondering if the 4 blade will work on the 83
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 6:14pm
Well theoretically a one blade prop will “work” . What you need to ask what prop would be best for my boat and my use.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 8:19pm
Back to the tranny , I took this out , it is just a metal tube no screen.
Is the correct part to drain and check?
If so I saw no debris in the fluid although ( drained it though a paper towel filter) it looked a little dark.
That being the case might just keep as is and replace fluid and see how it runs once I get boat back.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 8:41pm

Told ya so

1978 Mustang (modified)
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 8:52pm
Where can I find that hose and fittings in picture? That fitting is rusted pretty bad and I can't get it to thread back down into the tranny, as it is binded up at the top of elbow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic