NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet dip stick

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Where can I find that hose and fittings in picture? That fitting is rusted pretty bad and I cand get it to go back down the inside tube.

Go to the link and it'll tell you length of each hose and where you can get them.

I'm sure there are other places that are cheaper if you do some looking

They might have the fitting or you could try ebasicpower.com

link

Or you could go to Pete's plumbing department at Home Depot and probably find the fitting. It's just a pipe threaded reducing bushing
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 9:53pm
I know I ain't too smart at times but I'm wonderin' how a fitting that is always submerged in oil got so rusty that you couldn't fit it over the tube?
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 9:55pm
I'm sure I can get hydraulic lines in town ,but that fitting with the tube in it for the filter not sure.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I know I ain't too smart at times but I'm wonderin' how a fitting that is always submerged in oil got so rusty that you couldn't fit it over the tube?

No this is on the outside of trans, with the tube on it that holds the screen on the inside of tranny.
Hope that make better sense.
I went back and redid previous post to make it clearer...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 10:08pm
Clear as dirty transmission fluid

How about a picture of the fitting with nothing else hooked to it?

I could probably give you a B/W part number but would rather see what you're talking about to get it right
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 11:22pm
1 red - threaded part to lower tran where screen should be
2 blue - part of same fitting rusted
3 yellow - hose to cooler
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 11:50am
Update: Called Vince up at Discount Inboard Marine and he has what I need.
Thanks
JT
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 12:05pm
Well that picture seems to tell me that the same guy that handled your wiring job akso dabbles in plumbing

Here are a couple of pictures showing what the screen and associated parts look like.

We'll call it a typical setup since they changed some over the years, but this came from a mid 80's   10-17.

You need the elbow fitting and depending on what the hoses you have are you may also need hoses to properly mate to the fitting. It's 3/8 male NPT on one end and 1/2 inch flare on the other.

Like you said SkiDim has the parts

They'll sell you some different fittings like part number 122611 and 122711 that will work or you can get their part number 122511 that works in place of the other 2 and is what Borg Warner used..

By the way, did you physically look in the hole to make sure the screen that slides over the tube isn't in there. They tend to stick in there and have to be pulled out or maybe like Duane said, somebody chucked it.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 12:12pm
By the way, it only seems fitting that if you're gonna ask for advice and then you call SkiDim or somewhere else, you should update the post with more than just saying you got parts

Something for the next guy to refer to would be nice

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 1:02pm

. It's 3/8 male NPT on one end and 1/2 inch flare on the other.

John,
Check the hose end size. It's may not be a JIC-7 but rather a JIC-8. A - 7 will have an OD of 11.5mm (.44") and a - 8 OD will be 12.7mm (.5")

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 5:21pm

By the way, it only seems fitting that if you're gonna ask for advice and then you call SkiDim or somewhere else, you should update the post with more than just saying you got parts

Something for the next guy to refer to would be nice

Sorry wasn't trying to bypass y'all . I just couldn't find the name of that part, and I had talked to Vince before(Used to live right down the road).

I didn't say I got the parts , I think it was they have them if needed. I went to Lowes and found what I think is the same brass fittings, will let you know after I go start working on it this afternoon.

Thanks again,
JT
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 5:23pm
I will take a bright light and look in there for screen.
Thanks Ken for reminding me....
JT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 6:30pm

I went to Lowes and found what I think is the same brass fittings,

John,
I highly doubt the Lowes fitting is correct. What you most likely got was a 45 degree flare fitting typically used on soft copper pipe for low pressure. JIC fittings or 37 degree and meant for high pressure. McMaster has them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 6:32pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 6:33pm
Sorry, double post

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 6:53pm
John,
I went to Lowes and my suspicion is correct.Don't even try to use it. Just because the threads fit, doesn't mean it's the correct fitting. Return it the next trip back to the store.
The Lowes fitting is a 45 degree flare

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 7:18pm
10-4 on the lowes stuff, I think I might have saved all mine, except will replace the hoses for sure.

And look what I found thanks to KENO suggesting I look in hole.....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 8:13pm

10-4 on the lowes stuff, I think I might have saved all mine, except will replace the hoses for sure.

And look what I found thanks to KENO suggesting I look in hole.....

And for another suggestion I'll suggest that you talk to SkiDim about whether you have a need for a JIC 37 degree fitting like Pete thinks or whether the original hose takes an SAE 45 degree fitting

I measured the angle of what was in the transmission and shown in the picture from earlier today and it's a 45 degree angle. mated to an original PCM hose with an Aeroquip tag complete with the PCM part number.. But I'd verify this just to be sure.

Now whether Pete thinks that's right or not, that's a completely different story.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 9:09pm
John,
Yes, as Ken mentions, do check and I suggest using the correct fitting. Mixing 37's and 45's is not sound practice and you could end up with a mess. I happened to find a trans Ken worked on where he mixed up the fittings back yard hacking. . I sure hope there's a couple quarts of ATF on board:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2019 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Yes, as Ken mentions, do check and I suggest using the correct fitting. Mixing 37's and 45's is not sound practice and you could end up with a mess. I happened to find a trans Ken worked on where he mixed up the fittings back yard hacking. . I sure hope there's a couple quarts of ATF on board:

That's way beyond my capabilities Pete
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 8:53am
Pretty sure I’ve used hardware store JIC fittings on my transmission. Obviously you shouldn’t mix types... but I’m with Ken- where did the notion that a special 37deg was needed come from?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 10:37am
I recall only ever seeing a 90 degree coming out of that port on Nautique installed BWs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:01am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pretty sure I’ve used hardware store JIC fittings on my transmission. Obviously you shouldn’t mix types... but I’m with Ken- where did the notion that a special 37deg was needed come from?

Tim,
What hardware store carries JIC 37 degree fittings?

A JIC 37 degree fitting is NOT special but, they are common to hydraulics. Where did the "notion" of 45 degree fittings used on hydraulics come from?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I recall only ever seeing a 90 degree coming out of that port on Nautique installed BWs.

We're all used to seeing a 90 degree fitting there Zach.

The discussion is about the angle of the taper on the end of the fitting where the pen in the picture is pointing to.

A 45 degree angle is commonly called an SAE fitting and a 37 (really 37.5) is a JIC or AN fitting..

The JIC is for high pressure hydraulics among other things.

The SAE is for lower pressures.

A B/W transmission is not exactly high pressure hydraulics in action

The regulator in the transmission will keep pressure under 200 psi. Per the B/W installation manual cooler pressure is about 40 psi at 2000 rpm. That's going to the cooler not the higher pressure to the clutches

Maybe with really cold fluid and about 6 thousand RPM you might see 250 ish to the clutches

You could fill a book with info on fittings but generally with the JIC stuff they're made of stainless steel for the higher pressures involved along with better sealing ability due to the angle/amount of contact between the sealing surfaces.

Generally is the key word since you can find either kind of fitting in a variety of different metals

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Where did the "notion" of 45 degree fittings used on hydraulics come from?

Take that up with BW/PCM, not me!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:15am
Pete

You have a B/W, why don't you go find that fitting and unscrew the hose and measure the angle.   

It's the same fitting over at the cooler, you can remove it without losing any fluid that way

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:16am
Still cold out I see
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:47am
Couple of updates:

After I got fittings apart here is what I got-

And took advise earlier on Raw Pump brass plate-

Thanks
JT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:47am

Pete

You have a B/W, why don't you go find that fitting and unscrew the hose and measure the angle.   

It's the same fitting over at the cooler, you can remove it without losing any fluid that way

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Still cold out I see

Meet me down at the boat house but wear your long johns. It has warmed up and this morning it's up to - 5.

Sorry Ken but I have never had a need to measure the flares on my B/W Velvets so I never realized they would hack and go with the cheap low pressure fittings. On second thought, it's who marinized the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:57am
How about we meet at SJRR and put some real hours on your trailer queens
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic