Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Merc 351W "CCW"

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Capt. Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Merc 351W "CCW"
    Posted: March-01-2019 at 2:35pm
I have a Merc 351W CCW Right Handed engine. 233 hp. Completely rebuilt. never put back into boat. Comes with a Velvet Drive 71C 1:1. Has 0 hours on it.

asking $2500.00 or B/O

https://treasure.craigslist.org/bpo/d/port-saint-lucie-marine-engine/6807150055.html
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 3:23pm
Danny,

Here's a direct link to the listing

Is this a before the complete rebuild picture since it sure doesn't look rebuilt? Ether that or they didn't even bother cleaning it up when they tore it down?

Note to Ken: I proofed the link this time!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Capt. Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 3:37pm
It has been sitting for a while in my friends storage place. I have it sitting in my garage and will clean it. You can do what ever test you like on it.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 3:43pm
what an odd duck

They loved their Qjets

Seeing a top-mount ford starter is quite the peculiarity
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 9:42pm
Not to pick on you Dan (I usually save that for Pete ) but CCW and RH rotation don't exactly go together.

RH rotation is clockwise in marine terms.

Maybe the easiest thing would be to say if it's normal automotive rotation or the opposite just so somebody who might be interested knows what they're looking at.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

what an odd duck

They loved their Qjets

They may have loved their quadrajets but this carb is missing a couple of barrels.

It's a Rochester 2GC 2 barrel on this engine.

They came from Mercruiser that way

The 233 was a 2 barrel 351W with a pretty decent cam

I have one that grew 2 extra barrelson the carburetor. It's a good engine

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Not to pick on you Dan (I usually save that for Pete ) but CCW and RH rotation don't exactly go together.

RH rotation is clockwise in marine terms.

Maybe the easiest thing would be to say if it's normal automotive rotation or the opposite just so somebody who might be interested knows what they're looking at.

Dan,
To eliminate the confusion with the terminology, just tell us is it turns counter clockwise or clockwise. So you don't need to run the engine to get the velvet pump up to pressure, just crank it and look at the forward end of the engine. (hopefully it has the proper rotation starter on it)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Capt. Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2019 at 12:00am
To clarify for everyone, when you are looking at the belts at the front of the engine, it turns counter clock wise. When you are looking at the flywheel, the engine turns to the right which makes it a RH engine. This is not a standard rotating automotive engine.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2019 at 9:25am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

what an odd duck

They loved their Qjets

They may have loved their quadrajets but this carb is missing a couple of barrels.

It's a Rochester 2GC 2 barrel on this engine.

They came from Mercruiser that way

The 233 was a 2 barrel 351W with a pretty decent cam

I have one that grew 2 extra barrelson the carburetor. It's a good engine

Indeed, i concur not a quadrabog, just its kid brother. i was too loose with the term
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

(hopefully it has the proper rotation starter on it)

Easy to check: Take distributor cap off and bump the engine over. The rotor should spin CCW
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic