NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inside hull paint/sealer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inside hull paint/sealer
    Posted: March-01-2019 at 5:43pm
Hi. I would like to paint/seal the interior of my SN hull after a few repairs to cleanup and seal fiberglass
What brand product do gurus here recommend,
Thx daryn
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 6:51pm
Daryn,
There are several options for cleaning up the bilge. Some have gone with Bilgekote made by Interlux. Some have used epoxy garage floor coatings and then the one I like is to simply use epoxy tints to color epoxy resin.

You mention "seal" the fiberglass. Fill us in on your concern.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 11:02pm
Thanks for tinted resin idea. Sounds like best way too go. I may use some bildgekote to give inform color for aesthetics. Overall sound wood and good life left.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2019 at 8:36am
Daryn,
How about posting some pictures of the boat? We'd love to see what you have. What engine is in it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 2:03pm
Hi found bildgekote on eBay sold by iboats. I paid $44.00 gallon white. Sounds half price. Probably quart price   We will see if they honor.
I’ve tried several times to load pics. But my phone does not like the tree/pic icon. Couple ccfan folks suggest imgur. I’ll try it.
I fall in love more everyday. Chrysler 318 (la). Hull Serial number 1495. And I have original build sheet/bill sale to hortons ski school/marine.
Anyway I can email Pete some pics.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 2:15pm
Pics will load easy from computer. No so from phone
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2019 at 3:12pm
Hi do I need to use bildgekote ‘Primer’ first. Or can I sand glossy epoxy with 120 and wipe with acetone as some recommend. Thx daryn
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2019 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Hi do I need to use bildgekote ‘Primer’ first. Or can I sand glossy epoxy with 120 and wipe with acetone as some recommend. Thx daryn

From Jamestown:
Available in gray and white, in quarts and gallons

APPLICATION AND USE
Preparation
BARE FIBERGLASS: In Good Condition Begin by scrubbing well using soap and water and a stiff brush. Rinse with fresh water and allow to dry. Degrease by wiping with a rag soaked in Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202. Sand with 180 grade (grit) paper. Remove sanding residue. In Poor Condition Clean as above. Sand with 80 grade (grit) paper. Apply Interlux Pre-Kote Primer INT-4279Q.
BARE WOOD: Sand surface, wipe clean. Apply White Undercoater Pre-Kote 4279. Sand surface, wipe clean.
BARE METAL: Sandblast or grind, remove sanding residue. Immediately apply Viny-Lux Primewash 353/354 thinned 25% with Viny-Lux Solvent 355. Allow to dry for 1-24 hours. Apply one coat of Epoxy Barrier-Kote 404/414.
CLEAR EPOXY: Begin by scrubbing well using soap and water and a stiff brush. Rinse with fresh water and allow to dry. Degrease by wiping with a rag soaked in Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202. Sand with 80 grade (grit) paper. Remove sanding residue. Apply one coat of Epoxy Barrier-Kote 404/414.
PREVIOUSLY PAINTED SURFACES: The surface must be clean and dry. Sand using 180-220 grade (grit) paper. Remove sanding residue.
Method Apply 2-3 coats of Bilgekote following the proper dry times. Sand between coats using 220-320 grade (grit) paper. Remove sanding residue with a rag dampened with Brushing Liquid 333. Bilgekote may be applied by roller and brush using the roll and tip method.
Hints
Thinner Brush - Brushing Liquid 333. Spray - Special Thinner 216.
Thinning Thin if necessary with Brushing Liquid 333 to improve brushing characteristics. For spray application use Special Thinner 216. Thin no more than 10%.
Cleaner Bare Fiberglass - Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202. Epoxy - Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202.
Ventilation and Humidity Control It is best to paint on warm, dry mornings. Cold weather retards the drying and humidity can spoil the gloss.
Airless Spray Pressure: 170 bar/2500 psi. Tip Size: 0.33-0.41 mm/13-16 thou.
Conventional Spray Pressure Pot: Pressure: 3.44-4.47 bar/50-65 psi (gun pressure); 8-10 psi (pot pressure). Tip Size: 0.89-1.4 mm/35-50 thou. Siphon Cup: Pressure: 3.44-4.47 bar/50-65 psi - gun pressure. Tip Size: 1.5-1.8 mm/60-70 thou.
Other Spray pressures listed are recommendations only. The applicator may use any settings which yield the best results for the individual spraying technique and current weather conditions. Bilgekote is best applied in thin coats.
Some Important Points Do not apply heavy coats as this will affect dry through. Failure to follow proper dry times carefully will cause improper drying, wrinkling and loss of adhesion. Product temperature should be minimum 10 deg C/50 deg F and maximum 29 deg C/85 deg F. Ambient temperature should be minimum 10 deg C/50 deg F and maximum 35 deg C/95 deg F. Substrate temperature should be minimum 10 deg C/50 deg F and maximum 29 deg C/85 deg F.
Compatibility/Substrates Surface must be dry and clean, and free from grease, detaching paint etc. Be sure to use Epoxy Barrier-Kote 404/414 over clear epoxy to prevent blush from affecting drying and adhesion of Bilgekote.
Number of Coats 2-3 minimum
Coverage (Theoretical) - 300 (sq ft/Gal) by brush, 240 (sq ft/Gal) by spray
Recommended DFT 2.0 mils dry
Application Methods Brush, Roller, Airless Spray, Conventional Spray - Pressure Pot or Siphon Cup

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Be sure to use Epoxy Barrier-Kote 404/414 over clear epoxy to prevent blush from affecting drying and adhesion of Bilgekote.

This is the relevant piece of info that I think Pete is trying to relay... I think. Presumably you are asking the question because your repairs involved epoxy fiberglass resin. I have had mixed results with applying bilgekote over epoxy. Will never do it again. Tinted resin provides a nicer finish with less work and much cheaper.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2019 at 11:38am
Ok thanks. Good info
I do appreciate all your input and comments. This forum is making it possible to undertake such a project with less fear. I will try and do right by this boat. Trying to do proper boaty techniques. California trying to make you proud, never know may run into you guys someday.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic