Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wood Vs. Foam Bd. for Floors

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kjerchinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kjerchinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood Vs. Foam Bd. for Floors
    Posted: March-05-2019 at 12:13am
As I embark on the floor replacement of an 85 2001, from previous posts, I see I have a decision to make.
I only found a thread on this choice as it relates to the stringers..
I have one project under my belt, I replaced the wood floor of my 85 AM skier, with another wood floor, per soaking and coating both sides with epoxy.
Foam board is appealing to me as it would be a lighter finish product, it’s my sisters boat, and she is a skier, so a lighter boat is a big advantage, being smaller wake.
I would only presume foam is attached to the stringers with adhesive, I think it’s 5200 by 3M
If this is correct, would it simply get glassed to the hull, with woven FG, and laminated with the same, as well as stranded material ?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 9:49am
You might want to check out this foam board.

It accepts resin easily, so you can epoxy it down.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 9:52am
Just my opinion but when I read about stringer and deck rebuilding using all the new materials Coosa,HDPE ,PVC ect   The original materials were nothing special uncoated and still lasted 25-35 years. Now the boat is 25 plus years old its very doubtful it will be around in another 30 years . If you choose good wood and coat it with CPES I think it will last 30-40 years. I question weather the added expense is worth it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kjerchinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 10:00pm
Thanks for the feed back, very logical advice.
Best reason for the foam board would be the reduced
Weight, smaller wake for the swerves.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kjerchinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 10:44pm
Interesting product, looks like the Gatorplast could be a good choice, just talked to sis, it’s her boat, and she would like to try and keep the weight at a minimum, and coast is not an issue either..
Have you ever used this defore ?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 11:59pm
No, I have not personally used it. Someone on a fishing boat website used it for their deck.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
schmisw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmisw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2019 at 4:47pm
I just bought an 85 SN 2001 - and am determining my to-do list of items I need to do right away and then those that I need to be planning down the road..

I've only had my boat in the water one time and it seems to handle well - but I am concerned about the integrity of the stringers.. I've seen some of the posts on what to look for - but any advice on how long one can prolong a rebuild.. aka - what's the general rule of diving into so much work..

Is there any temporary fix one can do to "buy some time" like drilling holes along the stringers and using a resin of some sort to fill in any voids...

Perhaps silly questions from a newbie...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2019 at 5:03pm
Scott,
I suggest you periodically check the engine/shaft/log/strut alignment. When you can no longer keep the alignment due to bad stringers, then it would be time to start digging.

Temporary fix? Not really because the big problem with injecting some sort of resin is getting the moisture out. You can't!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic