NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Painting engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:55am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

I see, like a spark arrestor on a dirt bike

More like the spark arrestor that's on your marine engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Just curious why do marine alts have screen.

Because they spark inside! Not a good combination if there are gas fumes in the engine compartment/bilge.

Not all marine alternators have screens, that's the way Delco does it as mentioned earlier.

Others use sealed covers over the brushes to meet USCG standards.

Here's a link to ARCO electric showing some of the more popular alternators and how they accomplish meeting the standard.

There's also a brief explanation of the testing.

Your 67 Nautique won't have screens unless the alternator was replaced with a Delco over the years.

If you're wondering if you have a marine alternator, pictures, numbers and some research should tell you

Most marine alternators that meet the standard have a tag or other markings that indicate that it meets SAE J1171 specs. but back in 67 that standard wasn't born yet   

link
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2019 at 12:13pm
Thx keno. Makes sense.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2019 at 7:17pm
Now that I have my new alternator (silver looking) can I paint it?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2019 at 10:17am
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Now that I have my new alternator (silver looking) can I paint it?

I suppose you can do whatever you want to

I don't think I'd be painting any spark arrestor screens though.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2019 at 4:21pm
Decided not to piaint.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2019 at 4:26pm
A question on ignition. If I change to the electronic module on distributor do I need those resistors mounted on rear of engine?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2019 at 4:39pm

A question on ignition. If I change to the electronic module on distributor do I need those resistors mounted on rear of engine?

John,
It depends on who's EI conversion you use. Follow their directions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2019 at 4:55pm
I just changed my 89 SN to electronic ignition (using Pertronix Ignitor II). Instructions were to bypass the resistor which I did. Works great!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2019 at 5:18pm

Decided not to piaint.

I applied a couple of coats of clear engine enamel on all of my 'raw' metal parts, except for the screens as Ken suggested. This keeps them from looking dull and corroded in a couple of years.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2019 at 10:15pm
OK I need some advice here..
FYI-The boat I'm working on is a 1983 SN with a PCM 351w. Earlier in a post I found the motor to be a 1994 block.
I bought a new Prestolite distributor not paying attention to the year. Now when I started looking for the electronic ignition it is asking for year.
Should I just be buying parts as a 83 motor or a 94 motor?
Will parts interchange and work?

I hope I haven't messed up big time....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2019 at 12:40am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I got this-

From here it looks like a clipdown Prestolite with the right gear already on it.

That would have been the original 83 distributor.

You'd make Pete so proud, an original distributor complete with a set of points

Whatever you do, don't throw that RR gear on the ugly distributor away. They're scarce and getting scarcer

Don't sweat it JT.

That distributor was used up till 86 or so and will drop right into your engine.

Don't know what electronic kit you might be looking at but if it's a Pertronix, the part number for the clipdown cap is 91581 for the Ignitor 2 or 1581 for the plain old Ignitor.

The Ignitor 2 is an improved version of the original

There's not much else that's still available for that distributor these days.

And..............you can ditch the ballast resistor{s} like said earlier by bfootr

And..............you won't make Pete proud, but that's OK
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 2:35am
Update:
Engine painted and almost back together, still have to rebuild carb.

Go GATORS!!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:08am
Nice!

I'm getting creative on mine as well
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:22am

Update:
Engine painted and almost back together, still have to rebuild carb.

Go GATORS!!

JT

You must be the only person that ever painted his distributor cap to match his oil filter.

If that cap came that color, post the part number, I just gotta have one of those   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:38am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 11:06am

We have plenty of this at all the HD stores!

But I'm a terrible painter and would rather have one made that color.

Besides, I'd probably have to touch up the cap if it got chipped and ugly looking

Or maybe I'd go and paint the plug wires too.

I guess I could stick with black caps and filters and wires
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 11:21am
Thanks Yea the paint came from Wally World and it is Rustoleum. I even got Blue plug wires (didn't know till I opened the box).
If the Distributor cap was black would probably have left the same but that Tan just looked awful
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 4:36pm
Hmmm...   this post has taken an interesting turn. I'm still waiting to hear certain comments from Pete and Ken.    
But for the record John, I like what you've done so far
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 9:26pm
Just putting on more hoses and seem to have problem-see pic
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 9:39pm
[QUOTE=KENO] [QUOTE=8122pbrainard]

But I'm a terrible painter and would rather have one made that color.

/QUOTE]

Send it to me I'll paint it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:09pm

Just putting on more hoses and seem to have problem-see pic

It's a good thing you post pictures JT, since you can notice all kinds of stuff looking at them.

In the picture above , my keen finely trained eye can see that your pump isn't ever gonna pump water.      Why's that you ask?

You have a RH rotation engine and the pump is installed right now for a LH rotation engine since the screw head can't be seen..

If you look at the picture below courtesy of somebody on CCF, you can see the screw head on the pump facing outboard and you can see how the hoses are hooked up and oriented too.

That's how your's should be hooked up. Suction on the bottom, discharge on the top and the screw head pointing outboard.

Clearance between the pump pulley and the big hose is pretty tight

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:28pm
Got it, I couldn't tell in my photo (before repaint) the right direction.

Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Hmmm...   this post has taken an interesting turn. I'm still waiting to hear certain comments from Pete and Ken.    
But for the record John, I like what you've done so far

Joe

Your pump is kinda plain looking , gray and unpainted bronze or is it clear coated cast iron and bronze, you should really do something about that.

We'll let Pete pick the color scheme for ya   

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 12:24pm
Another Question. Should I keep this MSD coil or go back to the original?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 1:32pm

Another Question. Should I keep this MSD distributor or go back to the original?

Its a coil not a distributor and if it ain't broke I wouldnt fix it
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Another Question. Should I keep this MSD distributor or go back to the original?

Its a coil not a distributor and if it ain't broke I wouldnt fix it

Thanks I corrected my mind..... this boat and engine is about to blow it
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2019 at 3:01am
Forgot about the broken resistor, will engine run/start without it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2019 at 8:43am

John,
It depends on who's EI conversion you use. Follow their directions.

John,
Is it broken? It looks like the engine was hooked up to one ballast resistor so, it may be good however the Ohm meter will tell you for sure. Keep in mind as stated previously, you need to follow the wiring directions of the EI conversion you plan on using.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2019 at 8:53am

Is it broken? It looks like the engine was hooked up to one ballast resistor so, it may be good however the Ohm meter will tell you for sure. Keep in mind as stated previously, you need to follow the wiring directions of the EI conversion you plan on using.

For now just wanted to crank engine to check out rebuilt carb. I'll get my neighbor over he understands the ohm thing.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic