NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat lift bunk board question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat lift bunk board question
    Posted: March-13-2019 at 6:22pm
For the engineers: I bought a used hydrohoist without bunks (they were stolen). The brackets for the bunks are there which are 2x2 angle sticking straight up. I plan to attach 2x material to the angle with bolts similar to many cable hoist setups I have seen (plan to round edges and carpet). It is a 4400lb lift and the distance (length) between the angle brackets is ~12’.
-what size board should I use?
-the board will only be held by the bolts unless I weld on a tab. Are bolts sufficient and then are two bolts per bracket sufficient?
-plan is grade 5 galvanized bolts. Should I consider others?
Appreciate the feedback.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 10:02am
David,
I would go with at least a 2x8 or bigger if you have the vertical room. Also, do check the prop/rudder clearance if the boat sits that far forward on the lift. You will have 8 bolts in shear so I really wouldn't worry too much about the grade of bolt but if you can find grade 5 in a hot dipped galvanized, go for them. Tabs for support of the wood is a nice idea but I don't feel absolutely needed. Do use some heavy large diameter washers on the wood side. Then after a few wet/dry cycles check the bolts for tightness.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 8:08pm
Thanks for the feedback Pete. This gives me some confidence. I was most worried about the shear strength of the bolts holding the board to the bracket.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic