Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 south wind 18

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lapowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lapowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 south wind 18
    Posted: March-24-2019 at 7:05pm
I was looking at a 1978 south wind 18. The person who has the boat has never started it he bought at auction and never did anything with it. It has a 351 ford engine. The interior is pretty nice for a 1978 and the hull looks good. The left stringer is a little soft about 12inches in front of the transom. I can get the boat for $800 I was just curious what everyone’s thoughts where on this boat and if you think it’s worth buying. I turned the motor over by hand . But didn’t have a battery to try and start it but I figured for $800 not to expect to much
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 7:49pm
Does it come with a usable trailer?

You should cost in a stringer project, that alone would be more than $800.

If you want a project, go for it, but it would most likely not be a turn-key purchase.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Lapowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lapowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 10:33pm
The boat does have a trailer. And I’m not expecting it to be turn key. I thought this south wind was a cool looking vintage boat and I really like the deep v Hull.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 12:14am
It's probably worth 800 in parts as-is and probably will need work and more money to make it sea worthy.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 12:22am
Like Chris said, if you're looking for a project ....   Don't know what they would sell for in 80-90% condition when done, so I can't comment on the "worth" of the project.   But looking at a stringer job would put me off rather quickly. I just don't have that kind of time - or space - to take on a project like that.   Paying a shop to do the work would almost definitely be cost prohibitive as well.   But if you have the time, space and are up for a lot of work, I do think that would be a great family boat when you got it done.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic