Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much carpet?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much carpet?
    Posted: March-29-2019 at 10:22am
Hi, searched the forum and didn't see an answer to these questions. How much replacement carpet (length) is needed for an 89 SN 2001? Getting ready to replace mine and planning to go with the 20 ounce weight. Also, is it best to buy 6' or 8 1/2' width? Lastly, is there a source for the plastic carpet trim? Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2019 at 1:48pm
6’ and 2.5x boat length to account for floor, walls and all the panels.
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2019 at 2:59pm
I just did some carpet on mine('98 SN) but only did the sides and some of under the bow. So the sides, the engine cover base, observer seat, and all the panels, we used 25 lineal feet at 8' wide. It was barely enough.
2005 Ski Nautique
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2019 at 11:22pm
30 ' was what I heard gets it done on 8'
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2019 at 2:06am
8' is for NWZ and newer since their beam is wider - his 89 only has an 84" beam so 6' carpet should work, as TRBenj said. This confirmed by Christine's when I was called them about mine last year.. They said to be comfortable I'd need the 8' width, but if I had one of the older models from the 70's or 80's the 6' works although it wouldn't allow for a whole lot of waste.
Those guys were so helpful. Too bad they aren't around any more.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2019 at 10:12am
I did my NWZ with 6’ wide. Not a lot of extra width, but it reached.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2019 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I did my NWZ with 6’ wide. Not a lot of extra width, but it reached.

Yeah, that's what Christine's had told me as well. More experienced or profesional installers would get the 6' a lot of the time. But since this was my first and the original carpet was a mess - not reliable for a pattern - he advised to get the 8' and I'm glad I did.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2019 at 3:08pm

6’ and 2.5x boat length to account for floor, walls and all the panels.

Tim,
You found the old bi- color , 70's style carpet once. What supply house was that from again?
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2019 at 3:26pm
There were a lot least a half dozen places that carried the black/red and blue/blue AstroTurf/grass carpet. I’ve found salt/pepper as well. Can’t remember the sources I’ve used, but I found them with the google. No dice on the orange/black nor blue/black (that I’ve found).
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2019 at 4:29pm

There were a lot least a half dozen places that carried the black/red and blue/blue AstroTurf/grass carpet. I’ve found salt/pepper as well. Can’t remember the sources I’ve used, but I found them with the google. No dice on the orange/black nor blue/black (that I’ve found).

How about Black and Brown? I did find one and it was complete junk when it showed up...
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2019 at 4:31pm
Can’t speak to the other colors, though I’ve seen some tans available (and lots of green, lol).
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2019 at 9:14am
Quality of the fake turf really varies. We had samples for the red/black stuff from 3 places and they were all different. We had to buy a whole roll to get the best quality that we found. We should have some for sale if anyone's looking for red/black with marine backing.

I'd like to find the source for the salt/pepper.
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2019 at 11:40pm
You don't need the trim. Get 2 times the length of the interior. By 6 feet from Lowe’s.   Pull out your floor board behind the motor box. Cut and 1/8th inch off each side. Glue the carpenter and wrap the edges. Then cut the hole for the stuffing box and that’s done.
Lay the maid floor to the edges. Then cut the last long sheet and do the sides to the floor. No trim needed. Use the Lowe’s glue or Marine glue   
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 9:23am
Nearly finished with the carpet replacement. Ended up buying 35’ of 6’ width carpet which worked out perfectly with little to spare.

One question, thinking about eliminating the access hole/cover over the shaft and packing nut to give the floor a more finished appearance especially since the center floor board is removable anyway. Any reason that this would be a bad idea?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 10:06am
Originally posted by bfootr bfootr wrote:

Nearly finished with the carpet replacement. Ended up buying 35’ of 6’ width carpet which worked out perfectly with little to spare.

One question, thinking about eliminating the access hole/cover over the shaft and packing nut to give the floor a more finished appearance especially since the center floor board is removable anyway. Any reason that this would be a bad idea?

I have never actually used the access plate for it's intended purpose, if you don't like it there send it packing...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 10:50am
Also, in replacing the carpet, I noticed that the exhaust tube was wrapped in carpet and affixed with zip ties. I would assume to further quiet the exhaust. Does anyone know if this was done from the factory or not? Thinking about NOT replacing it either as long as it’s not too loud. May sound better also?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 11:10am
I do believe it was that way from factory. Dont think it was done related to sound, tho that could be part of it, think it was done to keep the tubes from rattling around against the hull and stringers. For that reason probably good idea to leave in place or replace.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I do believe it was that way from factory. Dont think it was done related to sound, tho that could be part of it, think it was done to keep the tubes from rattling around against the hull and stringers. For that reason probably good idea to leave in place or replace.

I suspect, rattling and rubbing would have been the concern - you do not want to wear a hole in the bottom of your mufflers. If you do not want to reuse the carpet method, consider some rubber strips to insure little relative motion between possibly abrasive surfaces.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 11:23am
It was a money saving move at the factory, hide some scrap carpet in the boat or throw it in the trash and pay to get it taken away

Like Larry and Joe said it kept the tubes from rattling against the hull, especially the copper tubes in the pre muffler days.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 11:42pm
I left my access plate installed. Well actually I bought a new one since the original was trashy looking. Unlike NY Joe, I use mine every time I put in just to reassure myself there's no surprises. And because the removable floor panel doesn't come out without taking the back seats and doghouse out first.
.y boat didn't have anything wrapped around the 4" soft wall for protection when I pulled it for the rebuild. But when I reinstalled everything I uses some of the old exhaust tubing split down the middle and zip tied to the new as the buffer - Worked out great
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 11:32am
Is there any specific type of carpet which would be recommended for wrapping the pipes. Any concerns with heat and a crappy carpet or certain type of carpet backing?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 12:06pm
Nope. Whatever you have laying around.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by babybooey babybooey wrote:

a crappy carpet

Back in the days, CC was notorious for using this.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 12:48pm
Any recommendations on placement of carpet. Below is how i got it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic