NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maherajah Bob

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maherajah Bob
    Posted: March-29-2019 at 11:39am
I just met bob Maher (maherajah) in clear lake ca. Good story
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2019 at 11:51am
I bought a used LaPoint wood maherajah ski on eBay for my 67 SN to complete the vintage look. I had one when I was a 16 kid on berryessa lake. The decal had bubbled. So on a long shot called maherajah company. Bob Maher answered. He said those sticker decals were bad idea back then only used couple years on the Lapoint brothers model. Told me to bring it to his shop in clear lake ca (not to far from me) and he would reburn brand a new ‘maherajah in top of ski. So I did. After getting over being star struck by my idol. He put ski on blocks on ground heated up brand and burned it in. Turned out beautiful. New rubber ‘M’ tip too. He still has Susanne summers poster on his shop wall. Now is the time to remember and thank bob for his impact on sport. Super nice guy.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2019 at 11:55am
This happened February 2019 (last month).
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2019 at 5:19pm
Hopefully you took a couple of pictures to share?
Js
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2019 at 7:16am
I took pic of him working on my ski and of Susanne on wall. I need to get to a OC to upload.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2019 at 8:51pm
Have met Bob many times. Always personable. He's very close with several of my Speed ski buddies.

My father custom ordered his Slalom Ski from Bob at the Santa Rosa Fair sometime in the late 50s or early 60s. I sttill own that ski. I replaced the binding maybe 10 years back, so I could hang it on the wall, though Bob advised me not to ski it any longer (I could not if I wanted since I'm about 4 inches taller and 90 lbs heavier than my Dad was when purchased.). I also still own the Maha, I bought used for myself about 1974 at age 11,

If you have a Maha and have any questions, parts, whatever, reach out. Bob will help you. But, he's 81 years old. He can't do this forever.

BKH

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 12:25pm
Great story too. Yep bob is still working wood. He has a shop on shores of clear lake and a cool maha van. Fun you mentioned Santa Rosa, I live here now, napa high grad. Also he has Susanne summers posters, $50.
My idol
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 12:56pm
About 25 years ago when ESPN used to have waterskiing on it regularly, they would sometimes have speed skiing. I called Bob as I was interested in buying a ski. Very personable guy that was happy to talk about speed skiing. He had just come back from the bridge to bridge race in Australia and was telling me what a blast that race is with 2 skiers behind the boat.

I didn't buy the ski from him, but did buy a used blank off ebay a few years ago. I called Bob and he happily told me how to set it up with new HO bindings. It's an interesting ski to ski on. Surprisingly not many people are interested in trying it out. Not even some of the CCF better skiers that have come to visit.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 1:31pm
Offer it up sometime Bruce! I’d like to give it a go.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Surprisingly not many people are interested in trying it out. Not even some of the CCF better skiers that have come to visit.

Gee, ,....I wonder why that could be.

Well, there's that plus the fact that there arent a whole lot of 100MPH + boats in our ranks.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 3:23pm
It's in the garage Tim. Good afternoon ski for when the lake is all chopped up.

Didn't buy it to go that fast, Larry. It cruises pretty nicely between 38 and 50 and goes through chop pretty well.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 6:32pm
That video is nuts. Not sure which is more dangerous being on skis or in the boat.
Bob Maher told me he still talks regularly with LaPoint bros a couple of other legends
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 1:35am
The other big ski race in Australia besides the "Bridge to Bridge" is the "Southern 80"

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 10:58am
Some quick math. That Aussie race is 80 KM or 50 MI. They finish in roughly 30 minutes. Thats an average, not top speed, but average of 100 mph .....for 30 minutes. That's pretty intense.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 12:02pm

Maybe we can do the Buckethead that average speed some day?
94SNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 6:38pm
I'm pretty certain the incentive is to hang on and not kill yourself, that is intense!
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Maybe we can do the Buckethead that average speed some day?

You have feet of steel.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 12:10pm
At 100mph I'm sure you wouldn't have any skin left on the bottom of your feet. Those hot ladies sure have a pair of brass ones.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

At 100mph I'm sure you wouldn't have any skin left on the bottom of your feet. Those hot ladies sure have a pair of brass ones.

Our friend, Scott Pelaton at 135MPH. They allow leather booties. Also notice the protective face mask, etc.

Scot Pelaton World Record BF Run - 135 mph

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2019 at 12:56am
https://www.ballofspray.com/35-ballofspray-water-ski-news/94-dr-jack-horton-interview
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2019 at 11:10am
Found this interview with Horton ski school. Wish I could actually link for you ??
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2019 at 11:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic