Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission seals leaking

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission seals leaking
    Posted: April-12-2019 at 1:08am
Had my 1993 at the shop and was informed my front and rear transmission seals were leaking, as per the shop foreman. I have only one season with this boat, little or no knowledge of the past repair history, and do trust the shop I'm dealing with. Thoughts in that the seals can't be leaking that much since i hadn't noticed a huge problem in the bilge. Have them replaced since I'm not up to the job (time and knowledge) and it's already at the shop. Will the leaks get much worse over time with the potential of wrecking my trans?
I expect a 25 yo engine and transmission to leak some fluids, kinda like an old man does
TWSS
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 9:56am
Or is replacing the seals in a transmission an easy fix? I am sure someone out there has been there done that.
TWSS
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 10:18am
Guess for once all of our Grand Pooba's remain silent?
TWSS
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 10:32am
Well they are not gonna get any better.
Small leak I would not worry about.   Just keep an eye on your bilge and your trans level.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by GHTILL GHTILL wrote:

Guess for once all of our Grand Pooba's remain silent?

Originally posted by GHTILL GHTILL wrote:

Had my 1993 at the shop and was informed my front and rear transmission seals were leaking, as per the shop foreman.

Your shop doesn't have a "Grand Pooba"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 12:02pm
Pete's marine shop name. Grand Poobah Maritime.
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 12:09pm
What do you think Pete?
TWSS
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 12:14pm
Pull it and change them, it isnt that hard.   The PTO nut will need to be replaced, it is a nylock and one time use.   
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 12:22pm
I don't know what your finances are or what they are chargeing you for what they've already done or what they are going to charge and I don't know how bad their leaking but me myself, I cant stand oil in my bildge so I would be changing them.

The other senerio to think about is what happens if they completely go, on or right before a planned vacation and now the shop is too busy and cant get you in for a few weeks.

Guess it's up to you as in if you can afford to do it now rather than later.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 2:07pm
Greg,
As mentioned, the seal replacement isn't a big job but, you do need to pull the trans. How bad is it leaking? Did the shop give you and idea on cost? Also, there could be other problems that are causing the leaks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 5:20pm
Pete, the parts are 165$ with 4-5 hours labor. The "shop" is Buxton Marine in Dallas, which I've been dealing with for 20+ years with various boats. I agree with Gun driver I don't like a messy bilge. I did notice some drips this spring when I was putting all the plugs back in the engine. I just wasn't planning on a big shop expense this year, but I wouldn't want to wreck my wife's 25th anniversary present.
TWSS
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 5:24pm
Getting it fixed correctly & promptly is a value added environment.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2019 at 5:46pm
Greg,
I admire you and Paul for keeping a clean bilge but I sure wouldn't worry too much if the drips don't add up to too much. It's common for an engine to drip fluids. You just notice it in a boat more since the drips don't fall down on the ground like a car or truck. For the next few trips out boating, why don't you keep an eye on the fluid level to get an idea of just how much you are dripping? $165.00 for a couple of $5.00 seals? Wow, yes that's PCM and Buxton pricing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2019 at 10:54am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg,
I admire you and Paul for keeping a clean bilge but I sure wouldn't worry too much if the drips don't add up to too much. It's common for an engine to drip fluids. You just notice it in a boat more since the drips don't fall down on the ground like a car or truck. For the next few trips out boating, why don't you keep an eye on the fluid level to get an idea of just how much you are dripping? $165.00 for a couple of $5.00 seals? Wow, yes that's PCM and Buxton pricing!!

I’m always amazed at what any jobber charges for repairs these days. I’m always a bit depressed when I choose the convenience of paying someone over putting my own hands to work. I don’t think Buxton is at all out of line. After all they’ve got to follow your instructions for alignment after R/R!

Buxton seems like a super place to work with (I’ve stopped in there several times while on business to DFW). It’s a Family owned and operated place—with a lot of pride I think. If I lived down there, I’d probably consider using them for stuff I didn’t want to mess with.
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2019 at 2:22pm
I've purchased 7 boats from these guys. My son recently purchased a 2012 230 from them and noticed a gap in the top of the driver's side windshield from the top rail. He mentioned it to the service dept and they came to the house, picked up the boat, and replaced it free of charge. Seems the PO had somehow bent the top of the windshield frame and they couldn't get it to align properly, so they replaced it. I've done alot of my own work on my current boat, since it's rather old and needed alot of work, but there a few things that I won't tackle that require the skills I don't posses as a dentist. Kinda like when one of my patients try fix their own teeth . Yes Buxton continues to be tops in the sales across the US for a reason.
TWSS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic