Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive 72c Possible upgrade hybrid ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive 72c Possible upgrade hybrid ?
    Posted: April-23-2019 at 4:58pm
Have had this on my mind for some years now, so have picked up a 80’s Backhoe transmission to see if a hybrid 72c could be built using the backhoe casing as it has a sump that is bolted on and bigger oil capacity and less likely to froth the oil as a standard Velvet Drive can do.
Its my understanding they both share the same size plates and friction plates but the backhoe use steel for strength.
In my research on Velvet Drives over the years I had the pleasure to talk to Art about the problems on the drives and hooked up with a old school transmission guy in the USA who has shared his recipe on using off the shelf plates and friction plates, to bring the 72c up to 9 friction and 71c to 7 friction in most cases no machining mods to the overall pack in the drum.    
Some will know there are larger pack pistons that can be found to add pressure to the pack, its looking like the Velvet Shuttle (backhoe) uses a bigger one too… great if it can be used as well will know more once it’s all apart.
I have a JCB 3cx backhoe / telehandler transmission here as I’m in the UK more about, they were used in Case 480c/580c,d, and I think John Deere backhoe in the 80’s
Will update as I go … so far all the main bolt hole are the same spacing on the 2 types of drives.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2019 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Have had this on my mind for some years now,

Roger,
Your mind seems to come up with the projects!!

What are your plans to do with that "beefed up" trans?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2019 at 5:51pm
He's going to build a boat/backhoe combination called the Hoe Nautique. Quinner is going to be the factory rep for the Midwest area.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2019 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

He's going to build a boat/backhoe combination called the Hoe Nautique. Quinner is going to be the factory rep for the Midwest area.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2019 at 6:52pm
I found the boat backhoe only works at Pete' s 4 or 5 month a year rubbish in Florida can never get a hole in the water
Pete...Looking to fit it in my BFN if it works out.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 4:17pm
Took the backhoe shuttle into its 3 main parts, the velvet shuttle has a plunger on the forward /reverse selector that used to inch forward each time its pressed…tried the 72C I have in the backhoe bellhousing, and all bolt holes line up… rear housing bolt spacing match each type of drive.   

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic